hydro rotor, a big one!

rsz_img_20170419_133038427-2.jpgrsz_img_20170419_124120464.jpgrsz_img_20170419_132301137.jpgRiding the canyon rim above the Snake River the other day, I noticed a lot of activity below on one of the hydro plants. When I rode up a bit later, I had timed it just right, to watch them load a 60,000 lb. turbine rotor using a 175 ton bridge crane onto a Mack truck and trailer combo. This was very exciting stuff for one who has his own hydro setup (connected to the same utilities grid), is in the crane business, and whose crane truck has a Mack chassis! The crew were very good about letting me watch and get pretty close, after I told them I was an enthusiast, it made an already good day even better.

Thats crazy how much it looks just like the exhaust turbine on a turbocharger. Whats the object to the right of the turbine?

..as the saying goes...
"Call that a rotor ?... This is a rotor".... :lol:
7m dia impeller , 146 tons . 205 MW, At the Jocasee hydro plant, South Carolina :shock:
m_vh_Jocasee.jpg

HH: I agree it doesn't look like 60K, but the trucker and the guy running the crane both said so, and they had a lift plan and have lifted these very units before. BUT, the thing that convinced me was when he lowered it onto the aluminum trailer, that when empty has a pretty good up curve to it? It flattened it right out pretty much :shock:

Back