MPPT Maximum Power Point $6 module worked great w/Irma

might not track, but allows you to set the minimum input V. so the PV v won't collapse .
i plan to try one, but plan to change the input cap from 35v to 50v as i'm using 2 pv in series, and it could get up around 39v light load.
so how many watts extra could i hope for? old controller around input 26.2v charging 2 sla's 25.2v heavy load.
goal is to manually find MPP about 33-35v. near 8v more input at 4.6a. am i going to get 36 more watts? even +20 would be great! (from 2, 100w pv, now put out 60-65w each)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MPPT-Solar-Panel-Controller-5A-DC-DC-Step-down-CC-CV-Buck-Charging-Module-KJ-/172785137235?hash=item283acbf653:g:OLYAAOSwa51ZbhMs
here is a video of the delux version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlnjyFnFiR0

So with increased odds of a power failure (Irma) i got this $5.11 MPP gizmo ready to go.
I had no confidence that it can deliver 5a for any length of time, so i added a large heat sink and a 2" fan ($1). fan takes 2-3 watts. On a bench test, it does hold the input V wherever you set it, as long as it is range. Even with no load, it will keep the input cap happy. Say i set the MPP at 34v and have 37v, the cap sees 34v, that is pretty neat, since it has a cap rated only 35v.
Added a diode, as per instructions, to prevent backflow when hooked to the SLA's.
Irma may only deliver 55mph wind here in NSB, but it still could knock out power for 2 days, as they won't try to fix it until the storm has passed, and winds below 40mph. I doubt i will get to need it this time, as the storm is so big, i'm not sure the sun is still out there :lol:

Used the $5.11 MPPT controller during the 38 hours of no grid, after Irma.
Wow! i am impressed! it didn't get hot, the max was 130F for the transformer. XL4015 hardly got warm.
Put out a max of 5.99 amps, vs. 4.6a for the PWM. was often 5.2-5.5a, so it does a great job.
i always used the fan and extra heat sink, but, it might not be needed. For a $1 fan, why take a chance?

I looked at the ebay page, and I don't see a spec on what it's input voltage min or max is, or what it's output voltage range would be?

I'm just curious as I have 3 small 1-foot-square single-cell panels (I think they're 3 or 4 decades old),

and am considering making a charge-maintenance station from them, but would need something to regulate the voltage, or boost it, depending on what I'm doing with them.

I don't have enough panels to make a high enough voltage to run a wall-based charger (some will run off DC, like my Meanwell HLG's, and i think the Satiator), so it'd have to directly be able to keep a bank of cells topped off. (probalby some of my EIG NMC's as they're easy to reconfigure).

the ebay ad says input 6-36v

Back