flexible panels.....anyone taken one apart?

jimmyhackers

10 kW
i have bought several 20w flexible solar panels......

they all have a junction box of sorts on the back with a usb output and a small red led that comes on when the panel has power.
the main output is from a separate wired connector out of the same junction box that gives the full 18v .

what im wondering is as i have six of them in parrallel how much power is wasted in the leds and possibly the usb 5v circuits.?

has anyone taken one apart and done any experimenting on them?

any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance
jim

i assume no one else has done so, so i have done so for everyone elses information.

the usb 5v module takes 5ma at 18v while not in use...so 0.005x18= 0.09 watts......

across the six panels thats 0.54 watts in total. not a lot compared to the the supposed 120watts of panels.

however seeing that they all combined run as low as 1-2watts at the start and end of each day.....kindda seems worth it.

ive also noticed the module i modified will at low light levels have a much higher open circuit voltage compared to ones i havn't. 9-11v instead of 2v.

again i think this will effect the switching on point of the controller.. giving me some extra charge time in the morning and afternoon.

p.s. word of warning.....the two main solar panel tabs at the back of the panels are incredibly fragile. take care when removing the usb module. you wouldn't want to break these tabs off by accident.

Back