thread for posting when you've had a few too many!

Anything related to food or drink, especially beer
will_newton
1 kW
1 kW

thread for posting when you've had a few too many!

Post by will_newton » Jan 14, 2011 1:16 am

so, I've had a few beers and a painkiller pharmaceutical for my herniated discs. It's 1 in the morning and I 'm pretty happy. I've been welding up a scooter frame to erectrifly and it's pretty cool. uh, let's see cyclobenzaprine, tramadol, bad anime on Netflix, and 2 too many beers.

Weeeeeee!

Any of you guys have back pain and found relief via recumbents? I have the beginnings of my first frame being assembled now and hope it works out, welding it myself with a Harbor Freight stick welder. I have been battling a bit of depression over my inability to ride a diamond frame any longer than 15-20 seconds. Anyway...ummmmmm....

Weeeeeeee!

Oh yes, I like beer and I make own homebrew when I can, but don't mix with e-biking 'cept by late night postings.

did I mention, Weeeeeeeeeeee! :)

'mkay gonna go pass out now. wonder what I'll think of this post tomorrow!
Adult sized E-kick Scooter- Self-made frame, NC1606/35amp, 12s10 ah lipo Hidden build thread in the E-S Beer section!
The 6 year build Electric Big Dummy 24" HT3525/Methods100V/100A/24s15ah lipo
Daily Driver- E-Cannondale: front WE BD36/20amp-CA limited, 12s20ah lipos. Yeah, it's brushed, but it goes EVERY time I hit the throttle. K.I.S.S!

torqueon
1 kW
1 kW

Re: thread for posting when you've had a few too many!

Post by torqueon » Jan 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Your not alone half baked = half baked ideas! E.S. has a memory like an elephant ! :oops: My self would like to clean up post that are not rellivent to the site, i feel bad when i post I don't want to pollute this site

I am tempted to contact a board member just to clear out my crap

itchynackers
100 kW
100 kW

Post by itchynackers » Jan 18, 2011 10:56 am

Da Bears!
9c 9x7f w/ 12awg phases
9c 8x8r w/ 10awg phases, temp sensor, vented
9c 6x10r w/ 10awg phases, temp sensor, liquid cooled, 3rd Place Pikes Peak 2012!

"Don't argue with the galactically stupid...they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Ypedal » Jan 18, 2011 11:17 am

lol... i'm guilty of plenty of drunken posting too.. adds humor/character to the place imo . :lol:

edit: at least you managed to post it in the right place ! 8)
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com

torker
1 MW
1 MW

Post by torker » Jan 18, 2011 12:02 pm

I can answer your recumbent question. I have had 4 back surgeries. The last one was a fusion. Running heavy equip. and doing commercial electric for 25+ years. I got my first recumbent about 7 years ago for the same reason. As long as it is smooth they are tolerable but with a rec. you cannot stand up for bumps. So in some ways they are much better but you really need one with good rear susp. or at the very least a big soft 26" rear tire. If you check out my photobucket link it has 3 pages of crap- bikes are on page 3 I think. I built the short wheelbase and the Toureasy clone. Then I bought the Easyrider with rear susp. but have not electrified it yet. I am on Norco and muscle relax. but no beer Weeeee :mrgreen:
Dave When I die I want to slide in sideways yelling WooHoo what a ride !

Giant Rincon w rear 9C 6*10 10s Lipo 30+ amps
Specialized FSR Comp 9C 6*10 15s x 50A 3300 W :)
http://s18.photobucket.com/user/rolinfu ... t=3&page=1

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 19, 2011 3:45 am

The only thing I've had a few too many of is dogs and bikes. :lol:

But regarding bumps on the 'bents, if you use a suspended mesh seat rather than a solid-backed foam-padded one, it has a natural suspension that will greatly reduce vibrations and can help with small bumps.

For the potholes you'd better have a full-suspension 'bent, though, unlike CrazyBike2. ;)

will_newton
1 kW
1 kW

Post by will_newton » Jan 22, 2011 2:45 am

wow, i kinda forgot about this... :oops: It was a fun night last weekend and I was excited about playing with my toys!

finished all hardware install on the scooter and took it for a spin, now it's stripped down awaiting a few more welds to attach the brake cable mounting tabs and then paint!

As for my back and recumbents, I bought a complete Sun recumbent seat setup with a mesh back off ebay. I figured I would get something super comfy, adaptable, and strong. this seat looks like it will deliver. If I can't ride with this seat and building my own frame to fit...well, I'll be right pissed. :x

As for suspension, I will be doing near 100% road riding and will likely be sporting Schawlbe Big Apples. If you haven't ridden them, give it a go. I have 3 sizes and even have a 29er BA and it is redonkulous cushion! It's BA's or Hookworms for me.

Also, the frame may have a bit of flex, due to the longish wheelbase, so there is that too. The scooter actually has about a half inch of flex in the deck area and rides like butter. I even started with a suspension fork, but took it out-way too springy to kick!

With the mesh seat back, highly cushioned seat, the best ballon tires around, and the slight up and down frame flex and my own padding, I hope to be OK. My back issues actually manifest more as severe pains and cramping in my left hip/leg, rather than in my back. It make for bad nights, but if I am moving, I generally have no major pain, until the end of a long day of moving around, then the back flares up. I am not worried about jarring motion as much as causing further pinching and inflammation.

Anyway, I do enjoy a high quality beer or two and on rare occasions 3, but when mixed with other things it can lead to a rowdy night of welding e-scooters alone in my workshop while listening to punk rock quietly, so I don't bother the neighbors, followed by spontaneous internet postings. :lol:
I'm a husband and Dad, so that's about a wild as I get these days, hangovers hurt too much!
Adult sized E-kick Scooter- Self-made frame, NC1606/35amp, 12s10 ah lipo Hidden build thread in the E-S Beer section!
Daily Driver- E-Cannondale: front WE BD36/20amp-CA limited, 12s20ah lipos. Yeah, it's brushed, but it goes EVERY time I hit the throttle. K.I.S.S!

AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Post by AussieJester » Jan 22, 2011 2:51 am

Ypedal wrote:lol... i'm guilty of plenty of drunken posting too.. adds humor/character to the place imo . :lol
LOL...as am i, thankfully YPedal man sees alot of them dont stay on the boards too long hehehe... Im hung over as all hell, mates 41st Birthday last night don't remember much of it so must have been a great time, havent moved from my laid back feet up on the desk keyboard on my stomach postion for 5 hours now, need a piss bad been trying to motivate for 20 minutes to take a leak haha... :mrgreen:

KiM

torker
1 MW
1 MW

Post by torker » Jan 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Quote) With the mesh seat back, highly cushioned seat, the best ballon tires around, and the slight up and down frame flex and my own padding, I hope to be OK. My back issues actually manifest more as severe pains and cramping in my left hip/leg, rather than in my back. It make for bad nights, but if I am moving, I generally have no major pain, until the end of a long day of moving around, then the back flares up. I am not worried about jarring motion as much as causing further pinching and inflammation. (Quote

Sounds like mine. L4-5 probably. I have 2 Sun / Easyracers with those seats. They do really well. I haven't tried BA tires. That will also help.

AJ you crack me up. I had like 5 different kinds of beer on NewYears Eve and a shot or two of something. I haven't been that hungover in a while.

will_newton
1 kW
1 kW

Post by will_newton » Jan 23, 2011 1:49 am

torker wrote:Sounds like mine. L4-5 probably.
i got the MRI to confirm that, L4-5 and L5-S1. sciatica, Ilio-tibial band friction syndrome, piriformis syndrome, hypertonic muscles, reciprocal inhibition, crazy referral pains, back spasms bad enough to knock me to the floor and reduce me to tears, you know, a bit of everything, but all symptoms of bulging discs. I have to use a cane in the mornings, but I am happy that I have a leg to complain about. Its all in how you look at it, good to hear that you had success with the seat!

BTW, I finished welding the brake cable mounts on the e-scoot frame and should start painting tomorrow. I going to debut it in this thread, but no pics until it's done!

torker
1 MW
1 MW

Post by torker » Jan 23, 2011 9:51 am

So you gonna change the title to " Building scooters drunk and other drunk exploits" I'm not very creative. I need to get drunk and come up with a title :twisted:
Bad backs are no fun but like you said could be worse. My last surgery was in a spine hospital. Much better than a regular hospital. Epidurals can help too. I had 4 I think and it bought me like 6 years time before I just had to do something more extreme.

wineboyrider
100 MW
100 MW

Post by wineboyrider » Jan 23, 2011 10:34 am

Most of my drunken posts are cut this paste that all wrong! LOL. Mostly wine drunk though I drink my fair share of the brew....
ES IS SAVED! THANK YOU JUSTIN.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 24, 2011 12:18 am

Maybe rename it "Pickled Pictorial Posting"? :P

will_newton
1 kW
1 kW

Post by will_newton » Jan 24, 2011 12:36 am

torker wrote: Epidurals can help too. I had 4 I think and it bought me like 6 years time before I just had to do something more extreme.
I was told an epidural would be the next step. I was also told that I didn't need surgery anytime soon, but would just need to get the symptoms under control (again, good news, no ruptured discs, no spine trouble). I have been slightly improving this month and taking much less meds. I am going to hold off on it until... well, I don't know...just until. There is a lot of pain still, but I am learning to manage and mitigate it.

I am trying to get back on a bike and just built this scooter as a warm-up exercise for my recumbent. Walking,stretching, massage and a bit of a diet help me more than pills. This build is physical and mental therapy. The light lifting and twisting and walking around is painfree, unlike sitting down watching the boob tube, which begins to hurt after a while as my muscles stiffen up from inactivity.

It's good to have a few drinks and relax, sometimes even to a bit of excess on occasion, just to check your limits. :wink: I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea. What I do on rare occasions in the privacy of my mancave after the family is tucked into bed is my own business and it stays in the mancave....or gets posted online. :shock: I don't condone endangering the lives of others by my own actions. -end of disclaimer

Today, I did more damage to my system than I'd have done if I downed a sixpack. I applied bondo, primer, and lacquer in my shop. I had to keep everything shut due to the freezing temps outside. I would apply a coat of finish and leave for an hour, then come and quickly recoat and split. Good news is, she's nearly done, just needs reassembly and I need to figure out the battery location details(I did the test runs using a messenger bag for the lipos). It could be unveiled tomorrow!

I am enjoying this little thread and don't want to rename or relocate it. It's a hidden Easter Egg of a build tucked where you least expect it. :D

For the record, Bondo is some nasty smelling shit.

AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Post by AussieJester » Jan 24, 2011 1:01 am

will_newton wrote:
For the record, Bondo is some nasty smelling shit.
What?!?@#$!? Bondo smells sweet as, better not try any fiber glassing though
if you think bondo is nasty ...

KiM

will_newton
1 kW
1 kW

Post by will_newton » Jan 24, 2011 4:34 pm

hell, Kim, I've been doing composite work for the past several years. There's a world of difference between polyester resin based Bondo and the amine-free MGS epoxy resin I've been using! :D As a matter of fact if I don't find a decent box or bag for this scoot, then I'm going to have to fab one up outta glass/carbon.

You ready for pics? I am pretty happy about how things came out. This is my first bike/scooter frame I've ever scratch built, so there are little errors all over, but it was a lotta fun.

Here's what I started with, just a pencil sketch at full scale on a sheet of formica I use for my workbench surface. It's a bit hard to see, but it's there. I used to own a Mongoose mini-scooter in the mid -80's and always wished for another. I have a daughter now and she has a Razor. I bought myself a Xootr and we have a good time chasing each other around. The Xootr is cool for a very smooth surfaces, but on rough road, it's a real boneshaker. So I saw a few interesting things on the internetz, but they looked pretty sissified, so I decided to build what I wanted, someday.

I had read the Atomic Zombie bike building books and had some other plans from their site. I had also taken some welding classes for fun a few years back. I had a bad back, so decided to try to make a recumbent frame from scratch so I could keep riding. I bought a cheap 80A inverter stick welder from Harbor Freight and some other tools and got busy trying to remember how to weld. I realized I should probably do something to practice on, so I decided my "scooter someday" had come. It was going to be big and electric!

I chopped up a MTB frame for a headtube and started laying things out on the table and drawing ideas, literally on the table. :)
scootdraw.jpg
hard to see, but it's there!
scootdraw.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
Next up, I got the 1.5 inch square tubing cut and welded. This took many evenings, many swear words, and several tasty, dark beers.
scootframe.jpg
shiny metal!
scootframe.jpg (34.82 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
After several more days of work, I ended up with something I could test ride. It was a blast, just kick and roll, kick and roll. With 26"fr/16"r Hookworms, the ride was so smooth! There was just enough flex in the frame to absorb small bumps and holes in the road. I also had some friends take it for a spin minus the electric system, many thumbs up! So, I stripped the frame, finished a few things off, painted it, built the deck, and reinstalled the hardware. Next I installed the e-parts, a NC1606 system from ebikes.ca with a 48V 10ah HK lipo setup, 25A controller, CA, and light. Despite having all the weight at the front, steering is not affected and with the small lipo pack, it's not even that hard to lift the front end. Unfortunately, I do not have a proper box for the batteries, but I did take it for a spin just a few minutes ago and gave my myself the biggest, goofiest, E-grin EVER.
scoot1.jpg
scoot1.jpg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
scoot2.jpg
standing in front of a 9' garage door,grips@ 44" height with a 65" wheelbase!
scoot2.jpg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
Going about 30MPH on your e-bike can seem pretty fast, doing it while standing on a scooter, 4 inches off the ground, is definitely fast. Your frame of reference is off in the standing position vs. a bike and it feels more like standing on the hood of a car flying through the neighborhood. Just pure good, dangerous fun! :twisted:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beast775
100 kW
100 kW

Post by beast775 » Jan 25, 2011 2:00 pm

wicked scooter,looks the business :D ....
2 FINGER SALUTE TO ESSO.no buying gasoline for 7 years now.
I spent all my money on bicycles women and beer the rest i just wasted.

will_newton
1 kW
1 kW

Post by will_newton » Feb 02, 2011 12:12 pm

I spent the weekend sewing! It was hard (impossible) to find an acceptable bag that would fit the mini rack on the front. It is not as long as a standard rear rack and is a bit wider. I used the temporary box to help me figure out a size that would hold the controller and lipos. After thinking it over a bit I figured that a camera bag would work, IF I could find the proper size. So, I took a trip to Best Buy and lo and behold, there it was!

I took home a Lowepro 140 camera bag and tested the fit of the components. It would've been fine for batteries only, but I wanted to keep things clean, so I took it back and traded up to a Lowepro 170 bag. It's the same footprint, but taller. At the house, everything fit well and I used the included divider to divvy up space and help hold things in position. Looked good with ample room for the 12S 10 ah HK lipos, a couple of GGoodrums LVC's, the 25A controller and all the wiring.

The next thing to is add the needed straps under the bag to hold it to the rack. I was able to repurpose the shoulder strap by cutting it up, making slits in the bag seams, sliding in the straps in the proper configuration and sewing them in. I had to do a lot of hand sewing, but used the machine where I could. It took about 3-4 hours to do and was a total PITA, but 100% worth it. I strapped it on the rack, loaded her up and headed out for a ride. I came back and used a very small bungie cord to connect the bike's stem to the bag and added a small bracket to the front on the bottom of the rack. These helped keep it from sliding forward. I didn't remember that the rack curved at the front and my straps rode on the curve and tended to shift the bag forward as the straps were tightened. It was not a major issue and was resolved easily.

I also was worried to see if the front load affected the ride. Thankfully, it doesn't change a thing, except add a bit off weight you notice when lifting the front, but with the light lipos, it's no serious issue. Another cool thing is that the top tubes of the frame are a good handle and the back end is quite light. It's not hard to pick up the entire scooter to move it or turn it around, which you can understand if you have ever had a heavy longbike, can sometimes be an issue.

So, after another test ride, a new issue came to light, the camera bag is well insulated and things got a bit warm in the bag. The lipos were cool to the touch (only a 2C draw on them), but the controller was a bit warm. I could hold it in my hand, but it was a tad hot after the 5 minute test run. So the next bag mod was to remove one of the side pockets, cut a large hole in the bag and get back to sewing! I sewed bias tape binding around the hole and then added a piece of fabric made from the mesh of a laundry bag in covering the hole. Again, a few hours of hand work, fair bit of cussing, and two beers later, I was looking at a very sweet custom bag that looks "stock"! The hole allows for enough air circulation to keep temps very comfortable for the ESC. I also relocated the CA and throttle wiring to the other side pocket, so the ESC compartment was minimally taken up. The vent hole works well enough that I am considering putting in the 35A controller, which will also fit just fine.

I am super happy with this build and everyone that has ridden it to date, loves it. My neighbor is about 60 and has seen my e-bikes, but never tried one. I asked him if he wanted to try the scooter out. He said, "Oh boy, do I ever!" I let him take off on it, thinking he would go down the block and back. 10 minuted later he reappeared, grinning ear to ear! I have a 10 YO girl and she wanted me to take her for a ride. "No problem!" she hopped on the rear, held on to me, and we took off around the neighborhood. When we got back I asked her if she wanted to try it out. "No, it's TOO fast!" So, I set the CA to a 10 MPH limit and told her to have fun and off she went grinning maniacally. I took off again for a solo trip and had a car change direction and ride behind me, pacing me, and looking at the scoot- big thumbs up! :D

The best reaction seen to date was on the same trip. A 4-5 YO boy was in his front yard with his Dad working on his own bike as I passed. The kid's jaw drops. He's speechless as I pass, then once I ride by, I hear him yell, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH DADDY!!!!!!! Did you SEE that!!!!!!" :lol: It truly made me laugh out loud! :lol:

Later, one of my friends took it out for a spin so I could get some action video. He made his first pass down the street and came back yelling, "This thing is frocking AWESOME!"

It made me happy to have made so many people's day take a turn to the bright side! The project is a 100% WIN!

I hope to be posting a bit of video and finished pics tonight!
Last edited by will_newton on Feb 04, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

will_newton
1 kW
1 kW

Post by will_newton » Feb 04, 2011 1:41 pm

here's a short video of my daughter tooling around the driveway and another friend going down the road. the battery was getting a bit low, but he still hit 28MPH.

torker
1 MW
1 MW

Post by torker » Feb 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Ha , You did hide that build. Good thing I like beer and beer adventures. I built a kickbike in about 05. It was a blast. Wasn't doing elec. bikes then but I may have to do another. They are so damn simple.

will_newton
1 kW
1 kW

Post by will_newton » Feb 04, 2011 4:13 pm

and a few more pics of the modded bag and bottom of the deck.
scootbagfr.jpg
scootbagfr.jpg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 5744 times
scootbagbot.jpg
scootbagbot.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 5744 times
Attachments
scootbottom.jpg
scootbottom.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 5744 times

will_newton
1 kW
1 kW

Post by will_newton » Feb 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Since we should include beer as much as possible to keep this thread on topic. I'd like to thank my sponsors:
images-2.jpg
Sam Adams Cream Stout, an old reliable friend.
images-2.jpg (8.65 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
images.jpg
1554 Black Ale, pretty much our regular beer of choice.
images.jpg (10.84 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
images-1.jpg
Another reason to drink 1554, you have to support a beer co. with a bike for a logo!
images-1.jpg (11.62 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
index.jpg
You Aussies make some of the finest Port wine, especially Tawny Ports. Of the hundred+ Ports I have tasted, over half my Top 10 are Australian! Whiskers Blake is our standby and was crucial to this build!
index.jpg (3.88 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
:lol:

Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Ypedal » Mar 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Uhm.. yeah.. helllllooooo subject line !! :D
ES site status page:
----------------

will_newton
1 kW
1 kW

Post by will_newton » Mar 24, 2011 8:51 am

Just an update on my scooter and back problems. I did upgrade the scoot to a 35A controller. I was having trouble getting my scooter to pull 35 amps so I ordered some new lipos because the old ones were old and slightly puffed. I am a bit disappointed because it still won't pull the 35a max only 17 or so. For a 25c 10ah batt, it should handle 250A, I'm only asking for 35. I also was wondering if my Cycleanalyst reading/settings were off. It "feels" like 35a acceleration. I had this setup on another bike and it seems just the same, but the readings don't match up. Hmmmmph.

That being said, it's still fun and it still makes folks grin like fools and the top end is plenty fast enough for a standup scooter.

As for my messed up back, I went to see a physiatrist about an epidural and we decided to try a new medication instead. She prescribed Neurontin, which is a drug that basically tells your nerves to chill out. The first night I took it, I was sitting in my chair, I got up to go bed and took a few steps realized what I had just done and nearly started to cry. It was the first time in over 8 months that I have been able to just stand up and walk. I have been very slowly, wincingly, with a cane been standing up, waiting for the cramping to subside, then gimping off to wherever. A-freakin-mazing!

Over the past month the Neurontin has helped break the cycle of pain and allowed my massively overstimulated leg muscles to heal,move, and stretch. This in turn has kept the muscles from pulling my back/hip further out of alignment.

Last night I went to bed on zero medication. Yesterday, I went for the first ride I have been able to take on a bicycle in 6 months. Weeeeeeeee! I still have some issues, but it is such an amazing difference. I am slowly regaining my life back and am so very thankful.

It's a bit of a shame though, because while my back was hurting and I feared I'd never ride a normal bike again. I built this......

edit:damn now where did my wife put the camera?!?! pics coming eventually ::facepalm::

Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Ypedal » Apr 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Hmm.. 11pm.. drunk.. feelin like a late nite ride..... must resist..
ES site status page:
----------------