New.. Food and Drink !

Ypedal

Staff member
And of course, beer is most welcomed topic on the " drink " side of things !! 8)

Will fill this into a proper sticky tomorrow.. it's just a bit late and i'm half a bottle of red wine deep so i'm not in the most creative writing frame of mind.. but finally got my wish.

Bring it on people !!.. 8)

" I'm on vacation today, for 3 weeks, so i'm drinking wine in a full sized glass.. nevermind the " wine glass " lol. "
View attachment wine-vacatino.bmp

For those new to ES, this used to be the " Beer " forum.. and man.. i love beer.....

But, that topic is a bit limited, so it's been expanded to Food and Drink...

So this area will be used for whatever you can drink and or eat, given the wide membership range of countries who register here, i'm sure we can learn a whole lot about what powers the human engine in various parts of the world..

Bon appetit ! 8)

a Half bottle deep or half a box deep? :mrgreen:

I'm getting a slight headache just looking at the corrugated wine container.

Red wine is great. One bottle per week is ideal amount. Half a bottle twice in a week. That way your tolerance stays just on the right level, you won"t get headache, but half a bottle still gives you a plenty of pleasure. Two bottles or more per week, and your tolerance starts to grow so that you might as well drink four bottles then. Which i used to do in the past occasionally :mrgreen:
My favourite wines are Nugan Estate Durif and Langa Trilogy. Natural or plastic pull-off cork is always a plus. Screw caps are cheap, no matter how technically better they are. A wine bottle with a screw cap is like drinking beer from a plastic "glass"..Finland used to be a dedicated spirit-drinking country. Nowdays people drink lots of wine too, and beer of course.
Finland is exceptional counry in many ways when talking about food. We have most expensive food prices in the world, but it"s very un-polluted and clean. Food is a pretty serious thing here. It costs so much, which makes people demand quality, though taxation is not exactly producers fault, but still. Most highly respected is reindeer and horse meat. When there was this horse meat case in EU while ago, demand of horse meat in Finland exploded :mrgreen: Now everybody wants it. It comes from russian culture, particular russian sausages, which contain horse meat. Reindeer meat is absolutely best, it"s heaven. Our alcohol laws are very strict. Selling alcohol is only allowed on government shops, which are open like from 10-18 from monday to friday. Couple hours on saturday. Outside that, you can not buy any alcohol anywhere.
Cheapest bottles of wine cost around 6 euros, and that"s really, really lowest quality there is. Normal, "decent cheap" bottle is around 7-8 euros. Something like Gato Negro Cabernet Sauvignon.
Compared to sixties we live very liberal times though. Back then you could buy alcohol only with a spesific license, that had your photograph, and was given only for people with "respectful way of living". Every bottle you bought was marked on your card, and usually you could buy only two bottles per week. When i was born, they changed the law so that selling low-content beer on food stores and kiosks became legal, That was like a revolution, people went pretty crazy. My father, who was born in thirties, is still is against that law. Oh man :) Times, they are a changin...
Small bottle of Langa tomorrow sounds good.

Gaston WTF!!? you're on vacation for 3 weeks? eh when did you get a new job buddy?

KiM

p.s oh and yeah red when ::ack:: I'm not that refined I'm afraid, beer chilled to near freezing is my favourite, especially on a hot day.

"Normal, "decent cheap" bottle is around 7-8 euros. Something like Gato Negro Cabernet Sauvignon."

We have "Trader Joes" some really good wines for $3 to $4 US .

Maybe you need a "Trader Thor".

d

I know. But selling alcohol here is basically only allowed for government, private citizen can not do that. Some farms are allowed to sell some of their low-content products. Governments attitude towards alcohol is like it"s attitude towards class 1 drugs basically, still. When we joined EU, it became legal to import alcohol from a another EU country privately. That was one of the biggest reasons we joined. Before EU you were not allowed to import alcohol abroad. 15 years ago i had to buy 24 hours boat cruise to be able to buy one bottle of Bacardi from Estonia :mrgreen: That cruise was without your own cabin, so people slept on the floors to get that that cheap bottle. Talking about price differences...ten years ago, after we joined on the EU, 13 bottles of red in Estonia costed same, than one bottle here. I almost destroyed my back those days :mrgreen: Something like 20 bottles in rucksack, and, then your hands full. That was minimum, people had, like, 50 liters of beer often on their whatsitscalled...push-trailer. I like beer too. On hot climates it works well. Six months of the year here i don"t need even refrigator, just put it on my windowsill and it freezes solid fast :mrgreen:
-15C again this morning. Two feets of snow (in the city) After few weeks it starts to melt.

what type of bike do you ride in that kind of weather?

Back