Photosynthesis of plants has been hacked -

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...osynthesis-in-search-of-more-productive-crops

They experimented with tobacco plants, just because tobacco is easy to work with. They inserted some new genes into these plants, which shut down the existing detoxification assembly line and set up a new one that's way more efficient. And they created super tobacco plants. "They grew faster, and they grew up to 40 percent bigger" than normal tobacco plants, Cavanagh says. These measurements were done both in greenhouses and open-air field plots.

Now there is a good application of GMO technology.

neptronix said:
Now there is a good application of GMO technology.
I worry about approaches like this.

Imagine that this is wildly successful, and it is quickly ported to food crops. We can feed the world! Yay! A win-win.

Then it turns out that these new genes work by coding a new protein that enhances photosynthesis. The protein is novel so our immune systems (initially) don't react to it. Over time we develop a sensitivity, and 10% of people have dangerous anaphylactic reactions after repeated exposure.

At that point it's very hard to go back to the original crops because due to massive (and seemingly beneficial) cross pollination, almost all crops now express the protein. And since we don't have good protocols set up to test the safety of such crops, it might happen unexpectedly and quickly.

I think GMO's are a great tool that can be used to enhance yield, solve environmental problems and reduce fertilizer/insecticide use. I just wish testing was funded at the same level as GMO development was.

I also am skeptical of GMOs because the main application of the technology is to insert genes into plants so that they can survive herbicides which can kill most plant and aquatic life.

You can guarantee that the residues of said broad spectrum herbicides are present inside the food. In the EU, studies have been conducted which show that these herbicides come out of people's urine at levels which are considered unsafe for drinking water supplies.. therefore an average person there is consuming many multiples beyond what's considered safe.

Recent studies have linked glyphosate to celiac disease from wheat consumption, rather than gluten. What is doused with glyphosate to chemically kill it before harvest. But i haven't delved into these research papers far enough since i don't eat that crap, thus not as interested in getting at the truth on that.

As a result, various countries outside of the USA have banned or restricted GMO technology, or at least the use of broad spectrum herbicides.

This SOUNDS like a much better and safer way to increase yield, and i hope it works out. If it doesn't work out and we use it anyway, it could be a disaster for human health, as you suspect.

I like the idea better than a diet full of man made chemicals tho..

neptronix said:
Recent studies have linked glyphosate to celiac disease from wheat consumption, rather than gluten. What is doused with glyphosate to chemically kill it before harvest. But i haven't delved into these research papers far enough since i don't eat that crap, thus not as interested in getting at the truth on that.

I have definitely heard this but I have had symptoms of Celiac since 1965. glyphosate was not in use at that time.
Talk about depression. Almost fatal. I finally self diagnosed in 2003.
Neurological damage is talked about.

Back