Problems with Zoom electric scooter company

Hey, Mods: are people really allowed to post advertising disguised as enthusiastic reviews by people?

has anyone registered this in Massachusetts? I'm having a hard time registering it as a moped/scooter. I got the MCO from zoom after I requested it. The email version had ampere zoom m3 as make and model but paper version as ampere zoom m2. same VIN. The m3 version has the max speed of 30MPH and says automatic transmission with 1.5 HP. The m2 version has only 1HP no max speed nor whether it's automatic. Zoom was very responsive for most of the buying process and getting info I needed but now they keep saying it is Mass RMV (DMV) problem, they should know it's automatic/max of 30MPH. DMV/RMV keeps saying it's not a moped/scooter it is low speed vehicle and needs title, insurance and license plate. Anyone have the same experience?

I have been unable to register my Zoom scooter in CA. I wrote the DMV twice. They said I should have it inspected to find the full VIN number. My VIN is only 15 characters long. I can count. They insist on 17. Impasse.

I have a Zoom scooter. Bought it about 8 months ago.current range on a full charge is about 15 miles. Not thrilled about that.

Anyone moving to another state to re register their Zoom scooter? How was the process? I am also moving soon to Texas like many ppl here lol.
do U need to register this Texas?

I Got my MCO from Zoom with the 17 digit vin and was able to register in California.

Got the scooter early last year.
It is Still holding up well.

Average about 40 miles per charge with some hills and like 50-60 miles on flat roads. But I am pretty smooth on the throttle which Makes a big difference like driving. Any tips to increase range??

Also about how much is registration in Texas if needed?

Anyone moving to another state to re register their Zoom scooter? How was the process? I am also moving soon to Texas like many ppl here lol.

I Got my MCO from Zoom And was able to register in California. Did you need to get a new MCO from Zoom for another state?

Got the scooter early last year. It is Still holding up well.

Average about 40 miles per charge with some hills and like 50-60 miles on flat roads. But I am pretty smooth on the throttle which Makes a big difference like driving. Any tips to increase range??

Anyone moving to another state to re register their Zoom scooter? How was the process? I am also moving soon to Texas like many ppl.

I Got my MCO from Zoom and registered it in California. Did you need to get a new MCO from Zoom for another state?

Got the scooter early last year. It is Still holding up well.

I Got my MCO from Zoom with the 17 digit vin and was able to register in California.

Got the scooter early last year.
It is Still holding up well.

This is not a moped as defined by Texas.
I don't know why they are calling it one.

Texas will require full motorcycle registration insurance and inspection,
just go to the DPS site.

has anyone been able to register this scooter in Massachusetts? The RMV (that's what they call the DMV here) says they do not have this scooter in their records and are not able to add it. Zoom said it should not be a problem since they had other Massachusetts customers so obviously they lied to me. I'm trying to get in touch with them to get my $$ back but short of suing I doubt they'll honor that

Extremely bad quality control and customer service. I purchased two of these mopeds last year, immediately upon unpacking I discovered several issues with both mopeds; one moped had more significant issues than the other. It was painful in trying get assistance to make the mopeds at least operational. After about 2 weeks and over a dozen actual conversations with 'supposedly' the inventor of the Zoom moped; they were at least driveable, with the exception of a missing socket to place a bulb for a turn signal, a broken seat latch, a tire that was off the rim, also the helmets that were promised did not arrive until 3 weeks after the mopeds arrived. Also one of mopeds made a loud squeaking noise from the front wheel, I was assure that it would resolve, yet it still persist to this day, I have to engage the front brake to get it to stop squeaking for a mike or so, then it starts up again.

Today a year later with a fully charged battery going approximately 25 mph the moped inexplicably did an abrupt slow down to about 15 mph; heading back home because I was concerned about whether I should proceed any further, the moped seemed to be traveling okay, until it slowed to a halt. I tried to go forward, but it wouldn't, then I tried reverse and it moved, when I put it in forward gear it moved as it is supposed to. It's at home parked, where it will remain until when and if customer service decides to answer my call. I'll sell these at a 1/2 cost -- as is.

Buy at your own peril.

HI, I received my Zoom Scooter last year. It took 3.5 weeks to receive it. It still rides well and gets over 30mph.

They promised me a free bluetooth speaker but I still have not received it; they told me their supplier has been out of stock and they could credit me for the speaker.

The scooter itself is well built and smooth to ride. Amazing acceleration from traffic lights. But I need to increase the range. I currently get about 50 miles out of the 72V 22Ah batteries. I need to get some inputs on how to get to over 80 miles on a completely full charge and run it down to almost zero charge, so it can last for one week of my commute. Thanks for any input.

You need more wh which means you need more ah so 72V 35ah total perhaps.
What is the chemistry of the current battery you have with the zoom scooter and in what format is it, lead acid batteries, lifepo4, a123, 18650, 27770. There are many things to take into consideration like can you parallel another 72v 22ah nets you 44ah.

Zoom Scooter does not stands behind any of their advertised features. Their scooter is made in China (not the US) with the cheapest components and parts. Most of everything works poorly or is falling apart after 6 months. You'll have to thoroughly inspect the scooter often to re-tight the lose things.
Here's a series of bad points that I hope will discourage everyone to purchase those scooters.
- Don't chose the color as they will send you whatever is on stock and then make you read the fine prints of the order to justify the difference in color. Not their fault!
- The certificate of authenticity (or tittle) necessary for vehicle registration is not provided with the scooter. Instead you'll have to request it 10 times before they actually send it, several months latter. Ride the scooter at your own risk until then!
- Don't expect any of the accessories to be of good quality either. Everything is cheap for a reason!
- Don't expect to receive your scooter in a timely mater. They announce 2 weeks but will deliver 2 month later.
- Their scooter use the antiquated lead acid batteries (while the entire world is now using lithium batteries). Out of the 60 miles happily advertised you will only get 20 the first 3 months then the battery range will slowly decrease to 10 miles with a full charge!
- All this troubles will make you reach out to their customer service, which is the worst experience you'll ever have with a seller: Most of the time they are unresponsive, or unfriendly and condescending when they actually respond. Their goal is to never acknowledge a troubles or make promise(s) of a fix and never follow-up.
As I understand the world of e-scooter much better now, I realized that no-one in my city could fix it, that a new lithium battery will cost me $800 and that I will never be able to re-sell it to buy a more reliable one...

Does anyone know how to locate the "pink wires near the back fender" for speed limiting? Are they in the pictures?

Attachments

• 20220518_085607.jpg
    20220518_085607.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,007
  • 20220518_085617.jpg
    20220518_085617.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,007
If yours has any such wires, they are usually a pair of wires that loop out of the controller box, wherever that is mounted on it. It's probably a metal box about the size of your hands.

Thanks, I found it under the seat

Attachments

• 20220518_110415.jpg
    20220518_110415.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 982
Problems w/ licensing a Zoom Scooter ?
Has anyone out there been able to get a license plate for a Zoom Scooter? I was told by the local authorities to get a plate. I took my title (which did not come with the scooter until I requested one) into the Treasurer's office at the courthouse to register it and had no luck at all. First thing they said was "Ampere" should not be on the top of the tittle, "Zoom" should be instead, and they told me to send the title back to them to have it changed as there was nothing shown relating or connecting the Ampere company with Zoom.com. Zoom wouldn't do it. Then they said I'd need a complete bill of sale with buyer and seller's full info, plus all the same details needed when purchasing a car (mileage statement, driver's license number, year, color, model, etc.). Where do I get one of those? As I bought it on line via text messages with their salesman in California, I have NO bill of sale. I showed them my bank record with the $1899 deduction on my debit card, but they said that they couldn't use that. Well, I've had it for a year now and there it continues to sit. It's still not licensed nor does it appear that it ever will be. Wish I'd have put the $1899 down at the Honda dealer on a scooter or motorcycle that I could actually ride.
I did get to put 600 miles on it before being told to have it licensed. Aside from the guards, fenders, hardware and other items falling off, and the fact that the damned thing stops in its tracks if caught in any small rain storm, it worked pretty well for the 10 to 15 miles it could go on a full charge. Never got 20 miles out of a charge once, much less the 60 mile range advertised. Let the buyer beware, don't waste your $ on a Zoom!

I picked up one of these cheap, dead batteries. Luckily in KY there is no requirement for registration of anything considered to be an ebike or emoped. Cheaply made? Yes! Body panels are really cheap and thin ABS. That said;

Motor is heavy and is different than the one I've seen on these previously-- either a QS or a clone of a QS, so I'm hoping that with a new controller and my 72V lithium pack I can get it going better than before.

Brakes appear to be decent disks-- although I think the calipers may have been changed at some point- so maybe they're better than the originals.

Frame seems pretty solid with decent welds- better than I've seen with some of the other Chinese scooters anyway.

Overall- if you want it for a platform to do something with, I think it's a decent start if the price is right.

Back