Problems with Zoom electric scooter company

Good or bad experience with a vendor? This is the place to discuss it. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING HERE!
electricmopedgreat   10 µW

10 µW

Problems with Zoom electric scooter company

Post by electricmopedgreat » May 07 2019 8:48pm

Moderator note; is a shill thread, so was moved out of the discussion forums and into Vendor Relations Corner since it features posts of problems by various members with this company, and has been retitled to suit, and other advertising posts by original OP have been removed.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=100045&start=25#p1579329
entire post quoted below:
mark5 wrote:
Aug 25 2020 4:55pm
Cosnofski wrote:
Aug 25 2020 11:16am
BUYER BEWARE - ZOOM ELECTRIC SCOOTERS.

Can't help but wonder if these positive reviews for the zoom electric scooter seen on the https://www.zoomescooters.com website from people who are in one way or another affiliated with Zoom Electric Scooters, Ampere Motors, Bloom Scooters, Tony Chan, etc.

I've seen some negative reviews on the zoom electric scooter Instagram site but those reviews disappear pretty quickly and the review sites have comments locked. Hmm...

I mean, here I am posting a negative review in a forum that Zoom electric scooter or moped can't control and within minutes, electricmopedgreat, who at the time of my writing this post has only posted to this thread on this forum, is posting a response/rebuttal. Hmm...

If you are considering purchasing a zoom electric scooter or moped and you have the very good fortune of reading this thread, ask yourself, why does electricmopedgreat care so much about the reputation of his personal scooter?

[...]

If you truly believe that that electricmopedgreat is not affiliated in any way shape or form with Zoom Electric Scooters, Bloom Electric Scooter, Ampere Motors or Tony Chan, and that his/her long term review is truly an unbiased review, than have at it, buy one.
electricmopedgreat wrote:
Aug 25 2020 11:37am
no i am not affiliated with them.

Just a customer enjoying my scooter.
Cosnofski, thanks for bringing this up.

I checked electricmopedgreat's account here and it does in fact trace back to Tony Chan / Ampere Motor.

And here he is again, posting a similar review at another forum, pretending to be a customer: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/t ... ped.30257/

What a phony.

Original thread opening post, with spam links removed:

Just bought a scooter/moped from their California plant for about $1900. It is awesome! I have been trying to find an affordable and solid scooter for my commute to work and get around the city... went to test drive it in Orange County and liked it.
WeChat Image_20190507185847.jpg
Pros: incredible torque, great launch from start
remote alarm system included with immobilizer
silent motor
digital dash
decent workmanship especially at this super low price compared to their products on the market
storage trunk and cup holder
reverse gear, which is very rare for a moped, pretty useful when parking
brakes are good
suspension decent
Range, i get on average about 45-50 miles per charge

Cons: Turn signals can be brighter, the charger can be smaller
rims can look cooler, but i am ok with these rims
the electric horn is so loud, may be is a good thing. brakes are a little too sensitive for my taste, may be it is adjustable.

Overall i think the scooter is great value and a solid product.
Last edited by amberwolf on Apr 07 2021 12:13am, edited 6 times in total.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Bought Zoom electric scooter / moped

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » May 07 2019 8:56pm

Electric Scooters and Motorcycles E-Scooter and Motorcycle Photos & Videos ..

so then where are the photos and videos??? :banana:
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

efMX Trials Electric Freeride   1 MW

1 MW

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » May 07 2019 9:53pm

did it come with a title or VIN number ?? if so you can likely get it street legal registered and insured as a moped, contact your local DMV ..
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

Dui, ni shuo de dui   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Dui, ni shuo de dui » May 07 2019 10:05pm

I find it insanely expensive considering it's a cheap copy of the original Niu M1, which is of far better quality and even cheaper.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=571 ... 1989828.22

Well cheaper in China, of course, but that's like 1000 dollars for the real deal, with much better drivedtrain (cast aluminum swingarm, bosch motor, better fork, better brakes), probably a much better battery and controller too... I bet those cheap copies are around 500 bucks here.

Edit: Found it, it's even less than 500 bucks, only 435USD: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a ... 3968950638

Guess someone along the supply chain is getting fat :wink:
:bolt: New Build in Progress: Electric Roadster, 30 000W Kelly KLS72701, 24S2P A123 cells :bolt:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=109246

:bolt: My electric Ninja 250 clone: 16 000W Sabvoton 72200, 23S2P A123 cells : :bolt:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=90032

:bolt: My electric Scooter: 11 000W Sabvoton 72150, 72V 50Ah LiFePO4 cells: :bolt:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75912

10 kW

Post by Dui, ni shuo de dui » May 08 2019 1:52am

May 07 2019 11:47pm
Actually the quality of my scooter is pretty good coz they are assembled in Calfornia actually.
Looks the same as the chinese ones on the pics. The assembly is fairly good in China too, it's the hardware itself that's basic. Just look at the front fork, the rear swingarm and the wheels, it's not great.
May 07 2019 11:47pm
some scooters may be cheap when you buy them in china, but you have to pay the import duty, the new Trump Tariffs, shipping costs, customs clearance, domestic shipping cost, they all add up well more than $1-2 k anyway.
Yeah, that sucks. But given my experience in sending stuff from China to elsewhere, the most part of the cost is the distribution and distributor's margins. Shipping and such cost peanuts in bulk (around 900USD for a full container). Don't know how much these are taxed nowadays though.
Anyway, sorry for the off topic and I didn't want to sound harsh, it's not a bad scooter just that I was a bit shocked by what you guys consider cheap out there :)

Now it's time to pimp it, give it more watts and make it a rocket!
:bolt: New Build in Progress: Electric Roadster, 30 000W Kelly KLS72701, 24S2P A123 cells :bolt:

:bolt: My electric Ninja 250 clone: 16 000W Sabvoton 72200, 23S2P A123 cells : :bolt:

:bolt: My electric Scooter: 11 000W Sabvoton 72150, 72V 50Ah LiFePO4 cells: :bolt:

MJSfoto1956   100 kW

100 kW

Post by MJSfoto1956 » May 08 2019 9:48am

A good looking scooter that.
Bois and their fancy tacticool ain't cool -- it's a pathetic circle jerk

QANON is a sick cult: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... e-1064076/

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » May 08 2019 4:33pm

"Assembled in California" almost certainly just means that htey took the boxes full of the mostly-assembled Chinese scooters out of the shipping container, and bolted on the things that would otherwise stick out of the box too much (probalby just the front wheel and/or the handlebars, depending on which one would be simpler to leave off to fit it into teh shipping box.

So that doesn't say much, if anything, about the actual quality of the scooter. It *might* say something about the quality of final checks and testing, if they actually test each and every part on each and every scooter as they unbox it, but that's unlikely as the labor cost would be too high.

10 µW

Re: Bought Zoom electric scooter / moped $1899 long term Review

Post by electricmopedgreat » Jul 02 2019 10:43pm

I have ridden my Scooter for almost 2 months now and am loving it!
Have achieved over 60 miles per charge to my surprise. The ride is better now i guess the suspension has broken in to get the optimal bounce rate.

Overall the best value great looking ride. Highly recommend it.

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Jul 02 2019 11:01pm

That’s pretty good range. What would you estimate the average speed was to get that?
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

10 kW

Post by Dui, ni shuo de dui » Jul 04 2019 1:02am

The odometers on these things are usually pretty optimistic ;-)

LeftieBiker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by LeftieBiker » Jul 04 2019 1:32am

I have owned an Italian-made electric scooter (Oxygen Lepton), a Chinese made scooter (X-Treme XM-3000) and a US-assembled (and allegedly US designed) maxi-scooter made of Chinese parts (ZEV 5000LA) and I have to say that the Oxygen was the only one of the three with both excellent parts and excellent build quality. The XM3000 was good when it worked, but the build was crappy and it was dropped en route, breaking the original motor. The ZEV was seriously damaged in shipping: I was assured that it would be rebuilt "better than new" but while it got a newer hubmotor it still suffered from numerous glitches and the performance was mediocre at best.

I now ride a Polish-built (with many European parts like Marzocchi forks and Brembo (IIRC) brakes) Vectrix VX-1 with Leaf battery modules, and that scoot kicks ass compared to the others. No comparison. I also briefly owned a Zero SR, but that was a fast but glitchy POS that was knowingly sold to me as a new Demo after throwing numerous Bad codes at the dealership. Bottom line: don't buy a scooter unless it's either cheap enough to throw away, or is both well-built and supported by a local dealership. If you buy a Zero you'll likely have to throw it away, but it won't be cheap...
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Jul 17 2019 1:55am, edited 1 time in total.

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 20 2020 8:18pm

It's good to hear that your battery is holding up well.

If you upgrade it with a high quality modern controller with variable regen you can reduce maintenance to just keeping air in the tires. Keep in mind that if you do go for regen, you'll need to improve the motor connection to the scooter with nice thick clamping torque arms. Otherwise the motor axle will quickly start to rock back and forth in the dropout due to the alternating forces of acceleration and braking.

Cosnofski   10 µW

10 µW

Post by Cosnofski » Aug 24 2020 1:41pm

BUYER BEWARE. I've owned mine for a month and it's already dead in the driveway.

10 µW

Post by electricmopedgreat » Aug 24 2020 3:46pm

My Zoom has been running great for over 18 months now. and a few of my friends who also bought them after me; they are still running flawlessly.

did you get it wet at all?

LeftieBiker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by LeftieBiker » Aug 25 2020 1:32am

Cosnofski wrote:
Aug 24 2020 1:41pm
BUYER BEWARE. I've owned mine for a month and it's already dead in the driveway.
Sudden failures like that are often due to bad connections failing. If there was no warning at all, and especially if it got wet, check each of the cheap Chinese plugs and screw connections for rust, looseness, broken pins... Also check whatever fuses and circuit breakers there are.

Cosnofski   10 µW

10 µW

Post by Cosnofski » Aug 25 2020 11:16am

Can't help but wonder if these positive reviews for the zoom electric scooter seen on the https://www.zoomescooters.com/ website from people who are in one way or another affiliated with Zoom Electric Scooters, Ampere Motors, Bloom Scooters, Tony Chan, etc.

I've seen some negative reviews on the zoom electric scooter Instagram site but those reviews disappear pretty quickly and the review sites have comments locked. Hmm...

I mean, here I am posting a negative review in a forum that Zoom electric scooter or moped can't control and within minutes, electricmopedgreat, who at the time of my writing this post has only posted to this thread on this forum, is posting a response/rebuttal. Hmm...

If you are considering purchasing a zoom electric scooter or moped and you have the very good fortune of reading this thread, ask yourself, why does electricmopedgreat care so much about the reputation of his personal scooter?

No electricmopedgreat, this guy did not get his scooter pretty wet.

So buyer beware:

If you think an $1800 zoom electric scooter or moped is cheap enough to throw away, then have at it, buy one.

If you're comfortable doing your own repairs and have the knowledge of what parts are interchangeable with parts that are easy to procure on the internet or locally, then have at it, buy one.

If you're OK with an $1800 scooter making a rattling noise when you drive it down the road (It was making such a god awful noise when it did work that I actually had to wedge a piece of wood inside of the steering column to get the noise to stop) then take a chance and buy one.

If you're OK with being told "you must have gotten it pretty wet" by electricmopedgreat when it fails to work, then have at it, buy one.

If you're OK with not riding up any hills on your zoom electric scooter, then have at it, throw your $1800 to the wind, and buy one

If you truly believe that that electricmopedgreat is not affiliated in any way shape or form with Zoom Electric Scooters, Bloom Electric Scooter, Ampere Motors or Tony Chan, and that his/her long term review is truly an unbiased review, than have at it, buy one.

But before you do, maybe ask for a manufacturer's certificate of origin. Ask for a list of replacement parts and their cost. Ask if those parts are always available to be shipped from CA. Ask if some part need to be shipped from China and what those parts are.
Last edited by Cosnofski on Aug 25 2020 1:48pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cosnofski   10 µW

10 µW

Post by Cosnofski » Aug 25 2020 12:47pm

efMX Trials Electric Freeride wrote:
May 07 2019 9:53pm
did it come with a title or VIN number ?? if so you can likely get it street legal registered and insured as a moped, contact your local DMV ..
No, my zoom electric scooter / moped did not come with a title or VIN number

10 µW

Post by electricmopedgreat » Aug 25 2020 1:00pm

i needed to request my title as told by Zoom for security reasons. i got the scooter title in the mail afterwards. i guess it is safer that way.

Cosnofski   10 µW

10 µW

Post by Cosnofski » Aug 25 2020 1:33pm

i needed to request my title as told by Zoom for security reasons. i got the scooter title in the mail afterwards. i guess it is safer that way.
Why do you have to request it? They should just send you the title.

But you said you bought yours from "their California plant." Why would they need to send it to you for security reasons if you walked out of their plant? Are people waiting outside to steal your title?

Cosnofski   10 µW

10 µW

Post by Cosnofski » Aug 25 2020 1:39pm

Aug 25 2020 1:00pm
Did you have to request a VIN too?

10 µW

Post by electricmopedgreat » Aug 25 2020 1:48pm

not sure why, may be they needed to mail it to a physical address because i think the title required a verified address; this kind of makes sense for pickup customers. yes got the vin too.

Cosnofski   10 µW

10 µW

Post by Cosnofski » Aug 25 2020 1:50pm

Very shady business practice. If I buy a car, I don't have to reach out months later and ask for the dealership for my title and my VIN. "Oh, we were waiting for you to request it from us"

10 µW

Post by electricmopedgreat » Aug 25 2020 1:58pm

well, buying a car is quite different from a scooter i guess. because i think many states don't require registration on these electric and smaller scooters. i called dmv and they said it is actually NOT required in CA, even though i got the title and vin. lol.

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Aug 25 2020 3:47pm

A title for that little scooter? Hmmmm. I wouldn't expect that.

So what you normally get is a certificate of origin that comes with the vehicle. You would take that to the DMV to get the title. I've bought a few used bikes that were never registered and they still had the certificate of origin. If the dealer does the DMV paperwork, or in this case the company warehouse, of course they need your address but I'd expect you'd get the title in the mail in California.

But if there is a certificate of origin that should be part of the original paperwork package. I scratch my head at the story I'm reading.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

mark5   100 kW

100 kW

Post by mark5 » Aug 25 2020 4:55pm

Cosnofski wrote:
Aug 25 2020 11:16am

Can't help but wonder if these positive reviews for the zoom electric scooter seen on the https://www.zoomescooters.com website from people who are in one way or another affiliated with Zoom Electric Scooters, Ampere Motors, Bloom Scooters, Tony Chan, etc.

[...]

Aug 25 2020 11:37am
no i am not affiliated with them.

Just a customer enjoying my scooter.
Cosnofski, thanks for bringing this up.

I checked electricmopedgreat's account here and it does in fact trace back to Tony Chan / Ampere Motor.

And here he is again, posting a similar review at another forum, pretending to be a customer: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/t ... ped.30257/

What a phony.