Problems with Zoom electric scooter company

Moderator note; is a shill thread, so was moved out of the discussion forums and into Vendor Relations Corner since it features posts of problems by various members with this company, and has been retitled to suit, and other advertising posts by original OP have been removed.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=100045&start=25#p1579329
entire post quoted below:
mark5 said:
Cosnofski said:
BUYER BEWARE - ZOOM ELECTRIC SCOOTERS.

Can't help but wonder if these positive reviews for the zoom electric scooter seen on the https://www.zoomescooters.com website from people who are in one way or another affiliated with Zoom Electric Scooters, Ampere Motors, Bloom Scooters, Tony Chan, etc.

I've seen some negative reviews on the zoom electric scooter Instagram site but those reviews disappear pretty quickly and the review sites have comments locked. Hmm...

I mean, here I am posting a negative review in a forum that Zoom electric scooter or moped can't control and within minutes, electricmopedgreat, who at the time of my writing this post has only posted to this thread on this forum, is posting a response/rebuttal. Hmm...

If you are considering purchasing a zoom electric scooter or moped and you have the very good fortune of reading this thread, ask yourself, why does electricmopedgreat care so much about the reputation of his personal scooter?

[...]

If you truly believe that that electricmopedgreat is not affiliated in any way shape or form with Zoom Electric Scooters, Bloom Electric Scooter, Ampere Motors or Tony Chan, and that his/her long term review is truly an unbiased review, than have at it, buy one.
electricmopedgreat said:
no i am not affiliated with them.

Just a customer enjoying my scooter.
Cosnofski, thanks for bringing this up.

I checked electricmopedgreat's account here and it does in fact trace back to Tony Chan / Ampere Motor.

And here he is again, posting a similar review at another forum, pretending to be a customer: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ith-my-new-zoom-electric-scooter-moped.30257/

What a phony.

Original thread opening post, with spam links removed:

Just bought a scooter/moped from their California plant for about $1900. It is awesome! I have been trying to find an affordable and solid scooter for my commute to work and get around the city... went to test drive it in Orange County and liked it.

WeChat Image_20190507185847.jpg
Pros: incredible torque, great launch from start
remote alarm system included with immobilizer
silent motor
digital dash
decent workmanship especially at this super low price compared to their products on the market
storage trunk and cup holder
reverse gear, which is very rare for a moped, pretty useful when parking
brakes are good
suspension decent
Range, i get on average about 45-50 miles per charge

Cons: Turn signals can be brighter, the charger can be smaller
rims can look cooler, but i am ok with these rims
the electric horn is so loud, may be is a good thing. brakes are a little too sensitive for my taste, may be it is adjustable.

Overall i think the scooter is great value and a solid product.

did it come with a title or VIN number ?? if so you can likely get it street legal registered and insured as a moped, contact your local DMV ..

I find it insanely expensive considering it's a cheap copy of the original Niu M1, which is of far better quality and even cheaper.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=571549441615&ali_refid=a3_420435_1006:1102549319:N:t7DFkI0mD8yLpWCEhAqF5Q%3D%3D:8875800627444362db4ed9c7d64e692f&ali_trackid=1_8875800627444362db4ed9c7d64e692f&spm=a230r.1.1989828.22

Well cheaper in China, of course, but that's like 1000 dollars for the real deal, with much better drivedtrain (cast aluminum swingarm, bosch motor, better fork, better brakes), probably a much better battery and controller too... I bet those cheap copies are around 500 bucks here.

Edit: Found it, it's even less than 500 bucks, only 435USD: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.51.424c5e07ZexVlc&id=551789766666&ns=1&abbucket=8&sku_properties=1627207:3968950638

Guess someone along the supply chain is getting fat :wink:

electricmopedgreat said:
Actually the quality of my scooter is pretty good coz they are assembled in Calfornia actually.

Looks the same as the chinese ones on the pics. The assembly is fairly good in China too, it's the hardware itself that's basic. Just look at the front fork, the rear swingarm and the wheels, it's not great.

electricmopedgreat said:
some scooters may be cheap when you buy them in china, but you have to pay the import duty, the new Trump Tariffs, shipping costs, customs clearance, domestic shipping cost, they all add up well more than $1-2 k anyway.

Yeah, that sucks. But given my experience in sending stuff from China to elsewhere, the most part of the cost is the distribution and distributor's margins. Shipping and such cost peanuts in bulk (around 900USD for a full container). Don't know how much these are taxed nowadays though.
Anyway, sorry for the off topic and I didn't want to sound harsh, it's not a bad scooter just that I was a bit shocked by what you guys consider cheap out there :)

Now it's time to pimp it, give it more watts and make it a rocket!

"Assembled in California" almost certainly just means that htey took the boxes full of the mostly-assembled Chinese scooters out of the shipping container, and bolted on the things that would otherwise stick out of the box too much (probalby just the front wheel and/or the handlebars, depending on which one would be simpler to leave off to fit it into teh shipping box.

So that doesn't say much, if anything, about the actual quality of the scooter. It *might* say something about the quality of final checks and testing, if they actually test each and every part on each and every scooter as they unbox it, but that's unlikely as the labor cost would be too high.

I have ridden my Scooter for almost 2 months now and am loving it!
Have achieved over 60 miles per charge to my surprise. The ride is better now i guess the suspension has broken in to get the optimal bounce rate.

Overall the best value great looking ride. Highly recommend it.

That’s pretty good range. What would you estimate the average speed was to get that?

I have owned an Italian-made electric scooter (Oxygen Lepton), a Chinese made scooter (X-Treme XM-3000) and a US-assembled (and allegedly US designed) maxi-scooter made of Chinese parts (ZEV 5000LA) and I have to say that the Oxygen was the only one of the three with both excellent parts and excellent build quality. The XM3000 was good when it worked, but the build was crappy and it was dropped en route, breaking the original motor. The ZEV was seriously damaged in shipping: I was assured that it would be rebuilt "better than new" but while it got a newer hubmotor it still suffered from numerous glitches and the performance was mediocre at best.

I now ride a Polish-built (with many European parts like Marzocchi forks and Brembo (IIRC) brakes) Vectrix VX-1 with Leaf battery modules, and that scoot kicks ass compared to the others. No comparison. I also briefly owned a Zero SR, but that was a fast but glitchy POS that was knowingly sold to me as a new Demo after throwing numerous Bad codes at the dealership. Bottom line: don't buy a scooter unless it's either cheap enough to throw away, or is both well-built and supported by a local dealership. If you buy a Zero you'll likely have to throw it away, but it won't be cheap...

It's good to hear that your battery is holding up well.

If you upgrade it with a high quality modern controller with variable regen you can reduce maintenance to just keeping air in the tires. Keep in mind that if you do go for regen, you'll need to improve the motor connection to the scooter with nice thick clamping torque arms. Otherwise the motor axle will quickly start to rock back and forth in the dropout due to the alternating forces of acceleration and braking.

My Zoom has been running great for over 18 months now. and a few of my friends who also bought them after me; they are still running flawlessly.

did you get it wet at all?

Cosnofski said:
BUYER BEWARE. I've owned mine for a month and it's already dead in the driveway.

Sudden failures like that are often due to bad connections failing. If there was no warning at all, and especially if it got wet, check each of the cheap Chinese plugs and screw connections for rust, looseness, broken pins... Also check whatever fuses and circuit breakers there are.

Can't help but wonder if these positive reviews for the zoom electric scooter seen on the https://www.zoomescooters.com/ website from people who are in one way or another affiliated with Zoom Electric Scooters, Ampere Motors, Bloom Scooters, Tony Chan, etc.

I've seen some negative reviews on the zoom electric scooter Instagram site but those reviews disappear pretty quickly and the review sites have comments locked. Hmm...

I mean, here I am posting a negative review in a forum that Zoom electric scooter or moped can't control and within minutes, electricmopedgreat, who at the time of my writing this post has only posted to this thread on this forum, is posting a response/rebuttal. Hmm...

If you are considering purchasing a zoom electric scooter or moped and you have the very good fortune of reading this thread, ask yourself, why does electricmopedgreat care so much about the reputation of his personal scooter?

No electricmopedgreat, this guy did not get his scooter pretty wet.

So buyer beware:

If you think an $1800 zoom electric scooter or moped is cheap enough to throw away, then have at it, buy one.

If you're comfortable doing your own repairs and have the knowledge of what parts are interchangeable with parts that are easy to procure on the internet or locally, then have at it, buy one.

If you're OK with an $1800 scooter making a rattling noise when you drive it down the road (It was making such a god awful noise when it did work that I actually had to wedge a piece of wood inside of the steering column to get the noise to stop) then take a chance and buy one.

If you're OK with being told "you must have gotten it pretty wet" by electricmopedgreat when it fails to work, then have at it, buy one.

If you're OK with not riding up any hills on your zoom electric scooter, then have at it, throw your $1800 to the wind, and buy one

If you truly believe that that electricmopedgreat is not affiliated in any way shape or form with Zoom Electric Scooters, Bloom Electric Scooter, Ampere Motors or Tony Chan, and that his/her long term review is truly an unbiased review, than have at it, buy one.

But before you do, maybe ask for a manufacturer's certificate of origin. Ask for a list of replacement parts and their cost. Ask if those parts are always available to be shipped from CA. Ask if some part need to be shipped from China and what those parts are.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
did it come with a title or VIN number ?? if so you can likely get it street legal registered and insured as a moped, contact your local DMV ..

No, my zoom electric scooter / moped did not come with a title or VIN number

i needed to request my title as told by Zoom for security reasons. i got the scooter title in the mail afterwards. i guess it is safer that way.

i needed to request my title as told by Zoom for security reasons. i got the scooter title in the mail afterwards. i guess it is safer that way.

Why do you have to request it? They should just send you the title.

But you said you bought yours from "their California plant." Why would they need to send it to you for security reasons if you walked out of their plant? Are people waiting outside to steal your title?

electricmopedgreat said:

Did you have to request a VIN too?

not sure why, may be they needed to mail it to a physical address because i think the title required a verified address; this kind of makes sense for pickup customers. yes got the vin too.

Very shady business practice. If I buy a car, I don't have to reach out months later and ask for the dealership for my title and my VIN. "Oh, we were waiting for you to request it from us"

well, buying a car is quite different from a scooter i guess. because i think many states don't require registration on these electric and smaller scooters. i called dmv and they said it is actually NOT required in CA, even though i got the title and vin. lol.

A title for that little scooter? Hmmmm. I wouldn't expect that.

So what you normally get is a certificate of origin that comes with the vehicle. You would take that to the DMV to get the title. I've bought a few used bikes that were never registered and they still had the certificate of origin. If the dealer does the DMV paperwork, or in this case the company warehouse, of course they need your address but I'd expect you'd get the title in the mail in California.

But if there is a certificate of origin that should be part of the original paperwork package. I scratch my head at the story I'm reading.

Cosnofski said:

Can't help but wonder if these positive reviews for the zoom electric scooter seen on the https://www.zoomescooters.com website from people who are in one way or another affiliated with Zoom Electric Scooters, Ampere Motors, Bloom Scooters, Tony Chan, etc.

[...]

electricmopedgreat said:
no i am not affiliated with them.

Just a customer enjoying my scooter.
Cosnofski, thanks for bringing this up.

I checked electricmopedgreat's account here and it does in fact trace back to Tony Chan / Ampere Motor.

And here he is again, posting a similar review at another forum, pretending to be a customer: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ith-my-new-zoom-electric-scooter-moped.30257/

What a phony.

Back