How Is Cycle Analyst still in business? Worst customer support ever

TheSiege

100 W
I have a zev 6000l. I do not have the option to reprogram the controller.
I want to make the power/throttle curve WAY flatter. Any little movement from 0 makes it super dangerous and jerky. I want the top speed to stay the same, I just want it so that when I twist from a dead stop it doesnt practically create a wheelie. Its just a typical magnet throttle.

I have been told by several people to use CA to accomplish this, but they NEVER return emails and 90% of their resellers listed on their website arent in business or do not carry it anymore.

I just need to know what CA I need, and some install instructions before I pull the trigger. Its an older controller so I cant just plug right into it. 72v 6000w bushless hub motor. Its an APT controller from 2013. Can someone please help me

Are they not picking up the phone during the hours listed?

I understand the market has really been taking off like crazy

they may well be impacted by COVID

and were never a large company to begin with.

Which other companies in ebiking have you dealt with that are so much better?

No bicycles in the stores in my area, bicycle shops claim that as fast as they can put them together their out the door. Maybe just maybe they all need Cycle Analyst.

Cycle shops are in a rush right now. But, grin tech does normally have a good customer support and exceptional guarantee. And, they are giving a serious effort of development in the ebike industry. Lots of new things are started there, and lots of improvements are coming from their work. That is why they are ‘still in business’.

For the Cycle analyst, they have info in web pages and a manual, plus a series of videos on youtube. Many pages of threads about it are on the sphere too. Should be more than enough to find what you need and how to do it.

Nevertheless...
You need one of the later versions of stand alone cycle analyst. I believe it is only from V2.4 that its program does manage power throttle. The order should be CA-SA 2.4 or CA-SA 3.0

Then follow the instructions for what and where to plug. It will be in between your throttle and your controller, thus letting you set, transform and tune your throttle signal at will. That is only a small function, among all of what it can do. Read the manual.

You might have better luck going from a quarter twist to a half twist throttle.That improved my ZEV 5000LA's throttle response quite a bit.

I also had crappy customer service from Grin. They sold me a CA and then told me I had to modify the internals to make it work. They were completely non-apologetic.

Now about throttles. They are not all tuned the same. Some are too soft start for me, while some are kicking on too suddenly for the high power that I feed. Trying many, I have found one that I like and never felt the need to mod its signal. Purchased many of it and happy since. But, today many like to set power throttle and variable regen. I am a dinosaur for those things, with my brutal riding style that doesn’t even accommodate with regen.

https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/support/purchasing.html

Email us at sales@ebikes.ca with the items you want to purchase.

If you are unable to email then we do maintain a phone line as well. During the current situation to reduce the spread of Covid-19 we've setup our phone lines so that you can leave a message and one of our staff working remote will be able to call back during our nominal store hours and can help you through order placement and product selection. Our shop space is not available for in person visits during this period.

That's how you chose to word your question/statement? Requesting information? "How Is Cycle Analyst still in business? Worst customer support ever"

Be careful, your wish might come true.

You are probably complaining about Grin Tech? They seem to have tons of detailed information on the CA on their website, did you not find what you needed there?

Otherwise, there's at least a few posts on this website on how to smooth out throttle tip-in. Something about splicing in a resistor into one of the wires. You can find it.

Maybe you're contacting the wrong business?

I've never heard of a business called Cycle Analyst that sells a product that does what you want.

There is a place called Grin Tech, that sells a *product* called Cycle Analyst, that you might want to try contacting, per the info posted above, and have patience.

The better a business is at supporting customers, the longer it can take to get to them, because of the amount of time it takes to help each customer. I don't like how long it can take them to get back to me, either, but they usually have a useful answer when they do. And...sometimes they do miss an email, and I've had to re-email them. The only time I've ever called, they answered right away (though that was quite a while back, long before these plague days, so I would expect to have to leave a message and get a callback nowadays).

FWIW, if instead of starting new threads about your problem and complaining (though I understand your frustration), you could be productive and help us help you by keeping to one thread, and posting the exact details of your problems as they come up, including showing and describing exactly what you've already got to work with, and what you want to do, and politely requesting people help you figure it out.

If you want to try that approach instead, you have a thread here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=105838
that you could update. Or you could pursue one of the other threads you've already posted the problem in.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37190&start=25#p1561935
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44067&p=1562010#p1562010

TheSiege said:
RE: How Is Cycle Analyst still in business? Worst customer support ever

I have a zev 6000l. I do not have the option to reprogram the controller.
I want to make the power/throttle curve WAY flatter. Any little movement from 0 makes it super dangerous and jerky. I want the top speed to stay the same, I just want it so that when I twist from a dead stop it doesnt practically create a wheelie. Its just a typical magnet throttle.

I have been told by several people to use CA to accomplish this, but they NEVER return emails and 90% of their resellers listed on their website arent in business or do not carry it anymore.

I just need to know what CA I need, and some install instructions before I pull the trigger. Its an older controller so I cant just plug right into it. 72v 6000w bushless hub motor. Its an APT controller from 2013. Can someone please help me

99t4 said:
That's how you chose to word your question/statement? Requesting information? "How Is Cycle Analyst still in business? Worst customer support ever"

Be careful, your wish might come true.

If I owned Grin, it would come true.

I had that trouble a while back and managed to figure it out myself. Good luck doing the same as you won't get any help from me.

BTW, did you know that the owner of Grin has paid the bills for this forum for years and lets us run it anyway we want without any interference?

LeftieBiker said:
You might have better luck going from a quarter twist to a half twist throttle.That improved my ZEV 5000LA's throttle response quite a bit.

I also had crappy customer service from Grin. They sold me a CA and then told me I had to modify the internals to make it work. They were completely non-apologetic.

Do you have any recommendations?

Do you have any recommendations?

You mean for a half twist throttle? No, sorry. It's been many years since I had the ZEV. I may, possibly, have a spare sitting in the garage. Do you want me to look?

Yeah that would be awesome. You are talking about half a rotation right? Whenever I look up half twist I get a bunch of results for throttles that are half as long in length not half rotation vs 1/4 rotation. Thanks again

If you don't mind the extra complexity, you can use a cable-operated throttle grip, or thumb throttle (like ATVs may use) and a cable-operated hall throttle unit (COT). It may give you more motion range for the same throttle voltage range, making it more controllable. But there is more stuff to do to set it up, and it takes more space on the bike since the COT is a separate largish unit from the throttle (grip or thumb) itself.

I don't know if cable-pull grip throttles come in more than one amount of cable pull vs rotation range, but you'd want one that has more rotation range rather than less, just like with the electronic one, and you would also want one that is a single-cable unit (pull) vs dual-cable (push-pull).

I used to use a regular thumb throttle, that probably had about 1/4 turn or less movement range, and it was a bit tough to get just a little bit of throttle without a surge of power. I'd used several different kinds, all with about the same results.

Recently, I switched to a cabled ATV thumb throttle, and a COT, and it is now MUCH easier to get just a little bit of throttle. IN my case, the mechanical range of the ATV throttle doesn't pull enough cable to get *full* throttle, so I used the Cycle Analyst to interpret the amount it does provide into the full range my controller needs. A different throttle unit (grip, etc) would probably pull more cable, and not need the CA ThrottleIn menu changes. (or the CA at all).
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&p=1563609#p1562461
and this post about a proportional regen brake lever shows what the COT itself looks like:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&p=1542617&hilit=cot#p1542626

If there is someone local to you that is competent in these issues, that would be fortunate indeed

TheSiege said:
Yeah that would be awesome. You are talking about half a rotation right? Whenever I look up half twist I get a bunch of results for throttles that are half as long in length not half rotation vs 1/4 rotation. Thanks again

A quick look got me two 1/4 turn throttles. I know where to dig in the garage, so I'll try that tomorrow. Yes, I mean a throttle that has a longer 'twist distance' than the light switches that came with the ZEVs.

nicobie said:
BTW, did you know that the owner of Grin has paid the bills for this forum for years and lets us run it anyway we want without any interference?

The reality that this board is funded by Grin is part of the reason that I don't make a big deal about the 5-speed hub-motor that I purchased from them never working (and having never worked). However, I was not happy with customer support that could have been summarized as, "you buy, now go away," (again, that is a summary, not a direct quote).

I still have my e-bike, but it definitely pulled the steam out of my e-velomobile project. I have a BaFang motor here to go in, it is just that, following the ebikeca issue, as I said, I lost a lot of interest in the project. I doubt that my rotovelo, a part of the project, has moved in over a year.

I understand the desire to support Grin, supporting the board is a big deal. However, don't think that all is well.

TheSiege said:
I wonder if I can pay someone to do this, it seems complicated

And you are the one accusing someone else of being the worst? Okay.

My recommendation is to save up about 7500 clams and buy a ready to roll, brand name e-bike that comes with a service agreement. Throw some kind of tantrum before you purchase, so you can be sure you're doing business with a retailer who is willing to tolerate you.

I wouldn't sell this guy a CA if I was starving on the side of the road.

-methods

Back