Ansbern ebikes

Good or bad experience with a vendor? This is the place to discuss it. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING HERE!
Rykmann   1 µW

1 µW

Ansbern ebikes

Post by Rykmann » Jan 04 2021 8:13pm

I purchased a ASB-EB-31 from the Suzhou Ansbern Sports Co., Ltd.
Bafang G510 Ultra Max Mid Motor 1000W
48V 17ah Samsun Cell
Gates CDX Belt
Sturmey-Archer RSX-RK5 5 speed internal gear hub. (IGH)
BE WARNED: STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!
Here’s why.
When my bike eventually arrived 12 weeks late the first thing I noticed was that the RST Renegade front fork was damaged. I contacted Tony Wong from Suzhou Ansbern who kept saying that they will speak to their “engineer”. Nothing happened. I eventually sourced spare parts from RST Germany. I repaired the fork and on the first test ride noticed that all was not right with my Sturmey-Archer IGH. Sturmey Archer RSX RK5 noise
After multiple futile attempts to contact Suzhou Ansbern I contacted Sunrace USA. Their technical person said that Sturmey Archer gears are not designed for mid motors therefore any damage falls outside their warranty.
I thought that I was saving money by “going direct” but honestly, it’s been heartache since day 1. My suggestion is – do yourself a favour, pay the premium, and buy locally from a reputable dealer and stay away from Alibaba – you don’t know who you are dealing with and like me could taken for a ride (excuse the pun) by charlatans like the Suzhou Ansbern Sports Co., Ltd.
Also don’t think that you are protected by Alibaba, you are not. Alibaba is there to protect the seller. Trust me I learnt that the hard way. I now have a CDN $4000 bike I cannot use unless I install a Rohloff IGH, new wheel, spokes, sprockets and belt at a cost of CDN $3000.

BeachRider2016   100 W

100 W

Re: Ansbern ebikes thread

Post by BeachRider2016 » Jan 05 2021 10:31am

I first quoted a frame for the g510 motor and it was more than the frame itself to ship. Their rep said it’s too small to ship frame ground and must go air next day express-no cheaper shipping. $600 shipping for a $400 frame.

AsbernDiana went on fbook g510 forum to advertise. I then told them about the ridiculous shipping quote, she then said it was error and quoted $300some for shipping but will take 30days after paying to product frame- which I though is fishy since they probably build bikes by the dozen everyday.

That’s enough ridiculousness for me to send money to a company and possibly get the shaft end of the stick.
Went and ordered a carbon frame from Dengfu, will be here tomorrow.

Anyone haven’t heard of Dengfu carbon bikes, look them up. Even Luna uses their carbon frames.
My Ebike with chinese frame: viewtopic.php?t=83275
2nd Stealth clone ebb w/3k hub laced 19” dirt rim/tires
2 Walmart special dk duke fatties bbshd and the other w/1k rear hub motor
Full suspension fatty/AliExpress frame w/bbshd
29er hard tail w/tsdz 500w dyi programmed
Intense uzzi slx w/1600w mini cyclone
Trident fat trike 26” w/tsdz 500w diy programmed
Carbon fat bike Bafang ultra, DengfuE06 frame viewtopic.php?f=6&t=109970

FlyingFinn   100 W

100 W

Post by FlyingFinn » Jan 05 2021 3:11pm

:evil:
Rykmann wrote:
Jan 04 2021 8:13pm
I purchased a ASB-EB-31 from the Suzhou Ansbern Sports Co., Ltd.
Bafang G510 Ultra Max Mid Motor 1000W
48V 17ah Samsun Cell
Gates CDX Belt
Sturmey-Archer RSX-RK5 5 speed internal gear hub. (IGH)
Here’s why.
When my bike eventually arrived 12 weeks late the first thing I noticed was that the RST Renegade front fork was damaged. I contacted Tony Wong from Suzhou Ansbern who kept saying that they will speak to their “engineer”. Nothing happened. I eventually sourced spare parts from RST Germany. I repaired the fork and on the first test ride noticed that all was not right with my Sturmey-Archer IGH. Sturmey Archer RSX RK5 noise
After multiple futile attempts to contact Suzhou Ansbern I contacted Sunrace USA. Their technical person said that Sturmey Archer gears are not designed for mid motors therefore any damage falls outside their warranty.
I thought that I was saving money by “going direct” but honestly, it’s been heartache since day 1. My suggestion is – do yourself a favour, pay the premium, and buy locally from a reputable dealer and stay away from Alibaba – you don’t know who you are dealing with and like me could taken for a ride (excuse the pun) by charlatans like the Suzhou Ansbern Sports Co., Ltd.
Also don’t think that you are protected by Alibaba, you are not. Alibaba is there to protect the seller. Trust me I learnt that the hard way. I now have a CDN $4000 bike I cannot use unless I install a Rohloff IGH, new wheel, spokes, sprockets and belt at a cost of CDN $3000.
Or buy Frey. I snapped a rear strut. Full new frame was sent within 2 weeks. I have broken both battery connectors, battery locking mechanism and motor freewheel. In all cases replacement parts were sent via TNT courier and they arrived a week after.

Stealth_Chopper   100 W

100 W

Re: Ansbern ebikes

Post by Stealth_Chopper » Jan 05 2021 8:33pm

🎶Now I've got heartaches by the number
Troubles by the score💊🎶

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Jan 06 2021 7:58pm

Seems like lots of stuff break on Frey ebikes.

As for the one complaining about Alibaba and being shafted, well thats nothing new, everyone knows that about some Alibaba sellers. Best to buy from known sellers who have a history of selling stuff to ES forum members who have had an overall positive experience. That goes for ebay and Amazon as well, but everyone knows Alibaba doesnt have good CS refund policies for customers, everyone.
FlyingFinn wrote:
Jan 05 2021 3:11pm
Or buy Frey. I snapped a rear strut. Full new frame was sent within 2 weeks. I have broken both battery connectors, battery locking mechanism and motor freewheel. In all cases replacement parts were sent via TNT courier and they arrived a week after.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Jan 07 2021 12:38am

Rykmann wrote:
This was avoidable. Folks everywhere are more than willing to sell busted garbage to "consumers" because they ask for it. That bike looks like a trap for a clueless chump, which might in fact be all it is.

If I had a customer ask me, "hey, should I use a 1000W mid drive with a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub?", I'd of course tell him don't do it. If he asked, "hey, should I buy an e-fatbike direct from China?", I'd say that's really not a good idea.

I'm guessing you didn't ask a professional.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

FlyingFinn   100 W

100 W

Post by FlyingFinn » Jan 07 2021 9:32am

markz wrote:
Jan 06 2021 7:58pm
Seems like lots of stuff break on Frey ebikes.

As for the one complaining about Alibaba and being shafted, well thats nothing new, everyone knows that about some Alibaba sellers. Best to buy from known sellers who have a history of selling stuff to ES forum members who have had an overall positive experience. That goes for ebay and Amazon as well, but everyone knows Alibaba doesnt have good CS refund policies for customers, everyone.
From 2020 onwards the weakness on the rear part of the frame was completely redesigned. It’s much stronger nowadays. I got the new model as replacement and I can agree.

So is the motor. The old and weak clutch design is different from 1/2020 onwards. Pawls are thicker and thus stronger. I’ve ridden the new one for 2000 km and I can agree. No issues.

A 2020 —> AM/FAT1000 is much better than the 2019 and previous models. Frey is listening the community feedback and developing their bikes accordingly. This is an indicator for a good and responsible manufacturer. Much better than Ansbern or C&N Leili from which the latter can steal your money or property (has happened atleast two times).

BeachRider2016   100 W

100 W

Post by BeachRider2016 » Jan 11 2021 11:14pm

It’s people who took a risk and live to tell the stories that are the real heroes. That’s why we have forums to spread goods along with bad stories. A “professional” is just a title someone decided to slap it on himself after a so called “years of experienced” learn from those who risked and tried. But who really gives a sht.
A lot of people and I don’t. No one knows everything. Live learn and become part of a collective experience, mistakes are part of it.

Chalo wrote:
Jan 07 2021 12:38am
Rykmann wrote:
This was avoidable. Folks everywhere are more than willing to sell busted garbage to "consumers" because they ask for it. That bike looks like a trap for a clueless chump, which might in fact be all it is.

If I had a customer ask me, "hey, should I use a 1000W mid drive with a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub?", I'd of course tell him don't do it. If he asked, "hey, should I buy an e-fatbike direct from China?", I'd say that's really not a good idea.

I'm guessing you didn't ask a professional.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Jan 12 2021 2:44am

BeachRider2016 wrote:
Jan 11 2021 11:14pm
It’s people who took a risk and live to tell the stories that are the real heroes. That’s why we have forums to spread goods along with bad stories. A “professional” is just a title someone decided to slap it on himself after a so called “years of experienced” learn from those who risked and tried. But who really gives a sht.
A lot of people and I don’t. No one knows everything. Live learn and become part of a collective experience, mistakes are part of it.
Okay.

But dumb avoidable mistakes are dumb and avoidable. Choosing not to do business with someone who's trying to appeal to the six-year-old part of you is a good start.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

BeachRider2016   100 W

100 W

Post by BeachRider2016 » Jan 12 2021 1:08pm

It’s the “child-like”part of us generates inventions. The so-called “professionals” are just a bunch of 2nd rated on lookers.

Chalo wrote:
Jan 12 2021 2:44am
BeachRider2016 wrote:
Jan 11 2021 11:14pm
Okay.

But dumb avoidable mistakes are dumb and avoidable. Choosing not to do business with someone who's trying to appeal to the six-year-old part of you is a good start.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Jan 12 2021 1:14pm

BeachRider2016 wrote:
Jan 12 2021 1:08pm
It’s the “child-like”part of us generates inventions. The so-called “professionals” are just a bunch of 2nd rated on lookers.
Sure, be inventive like a child. Don't be a chumpy consumer like a child, though. Or if you do, expect to get played.

BeachRider2016   100 W

100 W

Post by BeachRider2016 » Jan 12 2021 1:22pm

Without those enthusiasm and sacrifices, then how would the “professionals” know anything? I applaud those come in with a naive attitude hoping for the best. But with any new start ups, there will be problems and hiccups. Hopefully, overtime they will improve.

Chalo wrote:
Jan 12 2021 1:14pm
BeachRider2016 wrote:
Jan 12 2021 1:08pm
Sure, be inventive like a child. Don't be a chumpy consumer like a child, though. Or if you do, expect to get played.