Luna Cycle Eclipse - Won't Charge

methods

1 GW
12 miles on bike
Charger has never displayed RED, always GREEN

Barrel of charger reads 54.6V
Battery tabs read 44.5V

Bike still operates, ticket submitted. First impression is that Battery/Charger/Combo of two ....testing is not performed in house ... and that parts are going straight from incoming parts to outgoing goods.

Not Good

Let's see how they handle it.
Right now? I own a bike that I can not ride and my hands are tied on repairs. That blows this weekend. . . As when the bike did not charge upon incoming inspection, I wrote it off to delta-V on the charger.

Well
44V is definitely low enough to trigger even the dumbest of "smart chargers"... And this one is presenting 54 volts. That points at the battery BMS or battery charger wiring as causing the problem.

Irritated

Happy to crack it open and fix it right now, but I'm not going to touch it if it affects business.

... Being a Test Engineer that constantly lands batteries, tests them, assembles them into my product, tests again, then ship ->. It is always a very big disappointment for me to see someone else trusting vendors to do there incoming inspection for them.

Batteries land bad, that's why we test them where I work. I generally find about 1 in 100 fail.

-methods

You might try charging through the discharge port on the battery for a few seconds to see if it resets the BMS.

Good idea, but I'm not touching it until Luna makes the call.

This is actually my wife's bike, and she expressly bought it to have something simple and reliable.

(Unlike the devices I create... Lol)

-methods

Minimum incoming inspection

* Charge to HVC, Apply sticker
* Discharge to LVC, Apply sticker
* Record Wh or Ah
* Charge to nominal, Apply sticker w/Ah noted

Better incoming inspection
Same as above but TRIGGER Battery side HVC and LVC to confirm the mosfets are not failed in a shorted state. This just means...

* Charge to say... 58V instead of 54V
* Discharge a few volts lower than nominal

Arguably the better test it could be considered destructive, but it's more responsible. It's very common for the mosfets in a BMS to fail in a shorted state.

If you're lucky you can smell it**

-methods

I repaired it.
Lucky for Luna only 1 of 3 videos rendered.

(Sometimes Android records in time lapse and those will compress but not upload to youtube - doh!)

Anyway
I had some choice words for their Quality Control Process.

[youtube]VZB8iwTzIn0[/youtube]

Since I don't have the other three videos, I'll go take a quick proof of function with the battery in the bike

-methods

[youtube]sGRPO4OBomo[/youtube]

Back