5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Yer bike busted? tell us all about it here.
Post Reply
WHTFSU   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Mar 11 2021 4:26pm
Location: Panama City Beach

5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Post by WHTFSU » Apr 06 2021 12:10pm

hi i'm new to not just this forum but also forum format in general. plse forgive me if I'm doin it wrong. i'll learn quickly. I have a somewhat of a beast of a bike. 5000w Enduro (C&N motor), which i LOVE. but i cant find anyone that has a clue how to work on it here in panama city beach fl. i've fixed several issues but a new one just developed. the hub motor randomly binds up creating a hard rumbling that stops it... until i pick up the back end and run it freely, then it works for a while. it also makes clicking noise at low speed. i'm guessing the next step is taking the hub apart. I appreciate any help i can get here
Attachments
ebike pic beach.png
ebike pic beach.png (182.51 KiB) Viewed 163 times

TurboWelderMonkey   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 16
Joined: Apr 06 2021 7:57pm

Re: 5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Post by TurboWelderMonkey » Apr 06 2021 10:06pm

It sounds like you're having the same symptoms as me bro! Most likely blew a mosfet or 2!

User avatar
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 32148
Joined: Aug 17 2009 6:43am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: 5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Post by amberwolf » Apr 07 2021 12:09am

THe most likely problem is connection issues. Disconnect all of the wires between motor and controller (AFTER making sure to take pics and notes on exactly which one is connected to which other one!) and check for corrosion, etc., first. Then reseat them, making sure you reconnect exactly the same ones to each other.


Typically what you see is caused either from hall signals not being readable by the controller, so it can't tell what position the motor is in, and it sends the wrong timing of phase signals to the motor, which can make some pretty horrific noises.


The other thing that can cause it is if there is an intermittent short between motor phases, or between a phase winding inside the motor and the motor's stator laminations *and* the battery negative is also connected to the bike frame somewhere.

You can test to see if it is a motor-side short or a controller-side short if you disconnect the motor/controller connection when the problem occurs, and then try to manually spin the wheel forwards and backwards. If it spins fine this way, then either the problem is in the controller or ocntroller-side wiring (rather than motor or motor wiring), or the problem just went away again.


It can also be corrosion inside the motor from water intrusion (especially salt water), as most motors are not sealed well, if at all (and even when they are, water can still get sucked in via the motor cabling).

WHTFSU   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Mar 11 2021 4:26pm
Location: Panama City Beach

Re: 5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Post by WHTFSU » Apr 13 2021 3:37pm

sorry to hear that turboweldermonkey.
and thank you Amberwolf. I was wondering if i would ever get help. I see you post a lot in here, you're a hero man. Literally no one I've found yet here in Panama City Beach will touch these.

I will try that when i can but i have a new immediate problem now. the battery isn't charging. i took it out and i can actually touch the two charging wires together and nothing. I assume i would have to tear the wrapping off the battery to check inside connections. i feel like I'm dismantling a bomb that i wont be able to put back together IF i can even fix it.
So here's my question, just cut all the shrink wrap off then the plastic box panels?
Thanks again for any help!
Attachments
ebike battery.jpg
ebike battery.jpg (75.03 KiB) Viewed 81 times
ebike battery label.jpg
ebike battery label.jpg (71.71 KiB) Viewed 81 times

Tommm   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1189
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: 5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Post by Tommm » Apr 13 2021 4:05pm

WHTFSU wrote:
Apr 13 2021 3:37pm
sorry to hear that turboweldermonkey.
and thank you Amberwolf. I was wondering if i would ever get help. I see you post a lot in here, you're a hero man. Literally no one I've found yet here in Panama City Beach will touch these.

I will try that when i can but i have a new immediate problem now. the battery isn't charging. i took it out and i can actually touch the two charging wires together and nothing. I assume i would have to tear the wrapping off the battery to check inside connections. i feel like I'm dismantling a bomb that i wont be able to put back together IF i can even fix it.
So here's my question, just cut all the shrink wrap off then the plastic box panels?
Thanks again for any help!
You need a careful eye and a multimeter before you end up destroying what's left of your bike. Motor problem might be an intermittent short from the cable getting destroyed. Eventually it will destroy your controller too.
Touching battery cables is a good way to fry whatever cheap bms they included. Charging could be a charger problem or battery going out of balance due to worthless bms.

I recommend you read and measure a lot and do little for a while now, or the bike will be scrapped.

WHTFSU   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Mar 11 2021 4:26pm
Location: Panama City Beach

Re: 5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Post by WHTFSU » Apr 13 2021 4:30pm

thanks Tommm. of course i only tried touching one of the tiny strands of wire bc i knew it would be its own fuse if there was any current. i figured there would not be bc i noticed it doesn’t spark anymore when i plug in each individual wire (2 wires) into the charger. reason for that: (the connector had broken so i had to cut the wires and individually plug each in (carefully) until i can find a new charger connector. (again i CANT find parts anywhere either).

wait why can’t i just splice off the main leads with small gauge wires and connect them to the charger? the 2 large main leads still work fine. don’t they go to the same place?

btw i’ve tried to find info to read or video on this thing and can’t. plus i need this bike now.
thanks again for any help and i will be able to contribute to this forum as i learn more.

Tommm   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1189
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: 5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Post by Tommm » Apr 13 2021 10:06pm

WHTFSU wrote:
Apr 13 2021 4:30pm
thanks Tommm. of course i only tried touching one of the tiny strands of wire bc i knew it would be its own fuse if there was any current. i figured there would not be bc i noticed it doesn’t spark anymore when i plug in each individual wire (2 wires) into the charger. reason for that: (the connector had broken so i had to cut the wires and individually plug each in (carefully) until i can find a new charger connector. (again i CANT find parts anywhere either).

wait why can’t i just splice off the main leads with small gauge wires and connect them to the charger? the 2 large main leads still work fine. don’t they go to the same place?

btw i’ve tried to find info to read or video on this thing and can’t. plus i need this bike now.
thanks again for any help and i will be able to contribute to this forum as i learn more.
It depends on the bms construction, if it has a seperate charge part (in which case your wire fuse idea wouldn't work out because charging is a seperate low current circuit) or a common discharge/charge port type bms. If it is common and you can probably splice it if your bike has regen. Also you, can check it with a continuity/volt meter if the discharge /charge parts show the exact same volts and have continuity.

The battery shouldn't spark when you put it on charge anyway. First connect charger to wall and turn it on, then connect to battery. This way both the charger and the battery is energised so no spark should happen.

The charger is probably xlr or some other common plug, you can get them on ebay or aliexpress. You can upload a pic of it. But wiring it up will be futile without a soldering iron and a multimeter.

WHTFSU   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Mar 11 2021 4:26pm
Location: Panama City Beach

Re: 5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Post by WHTFSU » Apr 14 2021 10:34am

again to be clear I'm not willy-nilly touching battery cables. the 2 main leads still work so no way I'm touching those. i took one tiny strand of the charging wires and touched them, knowing it would be like a super low amp fuse and burn up. but nothing. so its not the charger its those charging wires (see pic).
i am thinking i can just splice off the 2 main leads with small gage wire and make new charging wires. so.... do they go to the same place? i know any other battery charger just hooks up to the +and- terminals on a battery.

its either that or try dismantling the shrink wrap and plastic battery box housing..and not getting it back together.
thanks again

WHTFSU   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Mar 11 2021 4:26pm
Location: Panama City Beach

Re: 5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Post by WHTFSU » Apr 14 2021 11:04am

Tommm wrote:
Apr 13 2021 10:06pm
WHTFSU wrote:
Apr 13 2021 4:30pm
thanks Tommm. of course i only tried touching one of the tiny strands of wire bc i knew it would be its own fuse if there was any current. i figured there would not be bc i noticed it doesn’t spark anymore when i plug in each individual wire (2 wires) into the charger. reason for that: (the connector had broken so i had to cut the wires and individually plug each in (carefully) until i can find a new charger connector. (again i CANT find parts anywhere either).

wait why can’t i just splice off the main leads with small gauge wires and connect them to the charger? the 2 large main leads still work fine. don’t they go to the same place?

btw i’ve tried to find info to read or video on this thing and can’t. plus i need this bike now.
thanks again for any help and i will be able to contribute to this forum as i learn more.
It depends on the bms construction, if it has a seperate charge part (in which case your wire fuse idea wouldn't work out because charging is a seperate low current circuit) or a common discharge/charge port type bms. If it is common and you can probably splice it if your bike has regen. Also you, can check it with a continuity/volt meter if the discharge /charge parts show the exact same volts and have continuity.

The battery shouldn't spark when you put it on charge anyway. First connect charger to wall and turn it on, then connect to battery. This way both the charger and the battery is energised so no spark should happen.

The charger is probably xlr or some other common plug, you can get them on ebay or aliexpress. You can upload a pic of it. But wiring it up will be futile without a soldering iron and a multimeter.
so sorry i just saw where you had replied. im at work so its hard to spend a lot of time in this. ill thoroughly read what you said soon as i can. thanks

WHTFSU   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Mar 11 2021 4:26pm
Location: Panama City Beach

Re: 5000watt Enduro Ebike help

Post by WHTFSU » Apr 16 2021 1:44pm

maybe these pics will at least indicate whether it’s a separate charge part?
Both red and black main leads work and show ~74v.
the red charge wire connects same place so it’s fine.
the black charge wire has a separate connection on the motherboard? problem is there somehow.
you said the charge wires should not spark. i only noticed that when i had to start plugging them in separately and no i didn’t plug the charger in first. maybe that would have eliminated that. but it’s worked fine until now the black wire is dead.
so i can NOT charge it directly to the main cables right?
i guess the prob is in this board? i can’t buy an $800 bat:(
thanks again for any advice!
Attachments
E19C4C2A-11A7-4E38-BB43-35C92D0D84A1.jpeg
E19C4C2A-11A7-4E38-BB43-35C92D0D84A1.jpeg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 3 times
7175B205-C007-4549-B448-5BF2F4D02382.jpeg
7175B205-C007-4549-B448-5BF2F4D02382.jpeg (932.39 KiB) Viewed 3 times
955840CB-72F5-4CF5-A33F-5A7E3C63E90F.jpeg
955840CB-72F5-4CF5-A33F-5A7E3C63E90F.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 3 times

Post Reply