Bafang 860C display dead - SOLVED!

gyrex

1 mW
Hi guys,

I've got an 860C display which appears to be completely dead. I've got a second ebike with an 860C display which works ok. I've tried swapping the dead 860C display onto the working ebike to confirm that it is indeed the display which wasn't working and it didn't work on the known working ebike.

Does anyone know if there's some more troubleshooting steps I should try?

Does anyone know if it's possible to open up the display (similar to a 850C?) to have a look around inside? There's no screws and it looks like it's a single moulded piece of plastic....

​​​​​​​Thanks for any help in advance.

The screws could be hiding behind stickers.
If it is one piece molded form, you need to get your razor blade out and be very careful cutting the plastic.
That should be the last t/s you should try.

OK, so a little update... And instructions for anyone else who needs to fix a display.

I managed to open up the display and fix it. Here's how I did it:

1. I applied a heat gun to the glass and heated up the entire display until it got very hot. The heat will make the glue which binds the glass to the unit tacky and more malleable.
2. While the entire display and glass was hot, I then lifted a corner of the glass up with a razor blade just enough to work a thin guitar pick underneath the glass. I then worked the guitar pick around the entire perimeter of the glass bezel applying the heat gun as I went around to keep the unit hot. The glass eventually lifted off but be careful because there's a flat ribbon cable which connects the glass display to the motherboard underneath.
3. Use a screwdriver to lift the ribbon cable from it's connector on the motherboard and you can completely remove the glass from the housing.

I have a feeling the technician who assembled this unit must have had a heavy morning drinking because the +/- wires for the display's buttons have been connected in reverse and I suspect the display wasn't working properly because the ribbon cable connection may not have been plugged into it's connector properly.

Here are some photos:

IMG20210501103115.jpg

IMG20210501103125.jpg

IMG20210501103136.jpg

IMG20210501103352.jpg

IMG20210501103511.jpg

IMG20210501103532.jpg

IMG20210501103600.jpg

IMG20210501103919.jpg

IMG20210501105035.jpg

I too had a dead display. I removed the screen as mentioned above and found the small rechargeable battery was only at 1v. I unsoldered it and connected it to my bench power supply at 3v, which is what the battery should be. I got it 2.85v after about 2 hours and then I soldered it back in place. I put the display back on my bike and it powered up just fine. Saved myself some money :eek:)

Just be aware that primary lithium batteries aren't intended to be recharged, and sometimes bad things happen to them and the devices they're in when you do (rupture, corrosion of components around them, etc; very rarely they may start a fire).

Back