SOLVED! Controller overheating

SakisMx

1 mW
Hi!
I have a generic 72v 35A controller.I have stress tested it a lot when I first got it,and it ran fine without any issues(this was around a month ago).Yesterday I was riding on flat road with medium throttle until it overheated so much that I almost burned my hand when I touched to check.The phase wires were also really hot but only from the controller side until the yellow box (where the controller and motor phase wire ends are screwed together).When it overheats it cuts the throttle

When I take the cover off after it has overheated,just the 2 80v capacitors are really really hot and everything else is cool.

So, is it worth replacing the capacitors for some beefier ones or this is unfixable now?
When my batteries are fully charged they are 84v so I suppose the caps are really struggling,but until yesterday it worked without any issues even when I was stressing it for good.

Did you ensure the phase cables between the motor and controller were securely fastened/joined?

pwd said:
Did you ensure the phase cables between the motor and controller were securely fastened/joined?

Hi!
I fastened the screws a bit until they were really tight again but I dont think they came lose.I will test again however and report here if the overheating continues.

I discovered that the yellow phase wire coming from the motor was damaged and didn't make good contact.When I would move it around sometimes the throttle worked and sometimes it wouldn't.Also after running the motor like this the yellow wire became really hot and I wasnt even riding it,I was just giving it a little throttle to see if it works or not.Just imagine how hot the wire was yesterday when I was riding!

Thank you for pointing this out,you have really helped me!

That is great, I'm glad you solved it and told us what the issue was. :bigthumb:

Back