Bike turning on by itself AND motor not working

zuora

1 mW
Hi,
A month ago I had to have my motor repaired because a strap got caught in it and the wire was pulled out.

After I got it back from my dealer, I noticed that the motor now made a whirring noise whereas it was previously silent. It seemed to work fine besides that.

Just today the motor stopped working again...but when I tried to roll it (while off), the bike would start turning ON! Even when the ignition was in the incorrect position and the key was out!

When it turned on the rear wheel would lock and I could no longer move the bike. It seemed like the motor was turned on and trying to engage (even though I'm NOT touching the throttle). A few times I felt some slight thrusts forward, but not enough to actually move the bike. It keeps randomly turning on like that when I try to move the bike.

Any idea what's wrong? Am I right in thinking that this is something the dealer caused during the last repair...and is it reasonable to expect them to cover the costs of this repair? Or could this be a new unrelated issue?

Is it an easy fix, or too much effort to be worth it?

Thanks for any input.

You might have a short circuit in the motor cable. Did they splice it back together? May be a bad splice, and it allowed a wire to get hot and melt thru the wire insulation. Or there is a short circuit in the controller.

A motor should turn freely without power, but if there is a cable short or a controller short, that will act like a regenerative brake and resist rolling. Now this effect would only be seen with a direct drive (non geared motor). If you have a geared motor, there is a clutch that lets the motor freewheel, so you would not see the above effect unless you rolled the bike backwards.

I guess you have to take it back to the dealer and hope he is honest and doesn't make you pay for this if it was his mistake.

Back