Controller overheating! Could it be wrong phase/hall combo?

SakisMx

1 mW
Hi!
I have a 72v 35A generic controller that is overheating!
Could the phase/hall combination be wrong?
Phases are:
Yellow to Yellow
Green to Blue
Blue to Green

Hall sensor wires are wired with the same colours

When I take the cover off only the 2 big caps are really hot and nothing else.Mosfets are just warm

I don't know if that matters but using same motor with my old controller(at 60v and 30A) everything was silent.Now it makes a high pitch sound while accelerating,it sounds like an airplane engine spooling up.

I also tried every phase wire combination and the motor was either stuck or made a huge grinding noise.The only thing that I haven't experimented with is the hall wire combination.

E-HP said:
What happened between a week ago when everything was working great and now?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=111606&p=1655233#p1655233

I have no idea. I guess the damaged wires were also causing the issue so when I fixed them it wouldn't overheat so fast but after using it for a little while I discovered that the overheating issue is not solved.. Also now the wires are not getting hot, just the controller itself overheats,whereas before the phase wires would get much hotter than the controller.

I've heard that wrong phase/hall combination can create a lot of heat in the controller so that's why I'm curius to know if they are connected the way they should be!

If they are correctly wired the next thing is to replace the 2 big capacitors and put some bigger ones in place with bigger capacitance and higher voltage limit!

The only incorrect Hall/phase wire combination that works at all, spins much too fast and with very low torque. If that's not the behavior you were getting, then that's not the problem.

Back