Ricetoo 1500w rear hub motor suddenly lost power

paulstung

100 W
Hi there, I went on a 5 mile ride today and just as I was at my location I lost all power to the motor, throttle and PAS, but there was still power getting to the display, ( kt35a controller 900s display)

I wasn't pushing it too hard for most of the journey and was mostly using the assist on level 4. I checked the controller and it was extremely hot, so I opened it up but there were no obvious signs of any problems or any burnt smells. So I gave it 20 minutes to cool down and powered it back on, but still nothing.

So I disconnected and reconnected everything and powered it on, and there was a very small puff of smoke from the controller where from I couldn't tell, but there was still power getting to the display so I tried the PAS and nothing but trying the throttle there was a kind of faint clunk sound as if the motor was trying to move, so I powered of then again but no clunk sound this time, but still display power.

Any ideas on what it could be? My first thought would be the 5v blown in the controller but when I've experienced it before the display wouldn't power on. I wasn't able to test as I took my voltmeter but forgot the leads. I've had to leave it where it is as had to get home fast for an emergency.

I've ordered a new controller a kt 45A 18 fett so a small upgrade from the included one, but I'm concerned that it might be motor related. If it is the motor would it cause any damage to the new controller when I connect it?

Thank you

How many Amps/Watts were you drawing during the ride? The KT controllers have a "rated" current and a "maximum" current rating, so the 35A is the "max", and the "rated" is 17A. If it was configured properly, then you may have been running over 17A, or didn't have good cooling, if the controller was that hot. You may have cooked a few FETs.

Tbh mate, I've got no idea, I'm only using the included 900s lcd display, so I've not been able to configure it like I could with a full display ( I've got an lcd3 on order) so it's running at whatever settings are done in the factory. The battery I'm using is a 52v 20ah with a 40A bms. So I'm guessing that the controller wouldn't try to pull more than it needs?

I've just been down and tested it using a tester and it looks like it's the controller, possibly the 5v line. I've got a kt 1500w 18 fet 45A controller being delivered tomorrow so hopefully it'll be fine again

Back