Bionx 48v (flat battery) orange LED not engaging

My battery is not recharging, when I plug in the Bionx recharger the red LED lights up for 3 seconds, turns off, and nothing else happens. I left the recharger plugged in over night and the battery did not recharge.

I have a second identical bionx battery, on my wife's bike, and when plugged in with the same recharger the 2nd battery shows green. So I eliminate the recharger as problem.

The easy way to fix this is to swap batteries and then my wife's bike is broken, this only works until she uses her bike (LOL)

What is the next step to test /fix and recharge the battery?

Cheers

probably voltage of string of cells whatever serial/paraller combination it is dropped so much that charger does not recognize this battery pack.
You would have to measure voltage right on the cells and it really low you would have to charge pack directly cells only bypassing electronics inside battery.
so disconnect string of cells from electronics, measure voltage, connect directly to example power supply like laptop power supply with close voltage.

Please do research the topic thoroughly before attempting to follow the above advice, should you choose to attempt to follow it. As you're probably aware, lithium ion batteries can present a serious fire and explosion hazard when mishandled or mistreated. The aforementioned advice could put life and property at risk of loss or injury if proper safety protocols are not followed.

I'm not suggesting that you abandon the pack without attempting further exploration. I want to be confident that you understand it's not as simple as the above poster may have made it appear, especially if you happen to be someone who is not already intimately familiar with the intracucies of charging and handling unprotected lithium ion batteries.

Solved. It was not the battery! It turned out to be a faulty extension cord between the recharger and the wall outlet. I used the 2nd battery down to 1/4 charge remaineing (2 bars) and tried to recharge with the same result as battery 1, the red LED turning on for a few seconds and then not recharging. Very strange to have both batteries die at the same time. So I was able to figure out the extension cord was bad by plugging the recharger directly into the wall socket. What threw me off was the red LED coming on for a few seconds so I assumed power was getting to the battery. Great news is that I figured this all out before ordering the new $700 battery. Whew!

I stay by my advice I wrote from my experience.
I own 48v BIONX.
this is how I recovered dead BIONX pack myself.
BMS reads voltages of every cell, what if one or two cells read zero?
dangerous, flammable, blah, blah.
all this forum is about dealing with batteries.
if you are not technical/electrical person of course do not open pack.
you call openning battery pack , disconnect BMS simply?
depends for whom.

Hi Miro,
You seem to know what you're talking about so maybe you can help. I have a Bionx SL 350 HT XL downtube battery 48v 8.8ah I was given that had sat unused for a long time. It discharged down to 3.19v per cell and was no longer recognized by the charger (tried multiple chargers to same result) It only beeps then flashes red.

I thought if I trickle charged it directly I could get it to wake up and be recognized by charger again. I did that carefully (cells never even got warm) and now each individual cell now measures 4.19 to 4.2v so I think it's well balanced. Problem is it still doesn't recognize charger. Also despite a 52.8v overall reading it won't power the system. The display will turn on for a couple seconds, show the battery as full then beep 3 times and shut off. Have tried with multiple displays.

Am I right in assuming the cells are still good and the BMS is the problem? And does it sound like the BMS can be woken up or does it need replacing? Would appreciate any insight you can offer.

Back