Bafang Ultra 1000 (error code 11)

Beebad

100 µW
Error code 11 = fault with temperature sensor inside of motor.
I was told by dealer that I needed a new controller which is in the motor, made sense to me. I had to go to great extremes to find one though. Ordered one but, had to wait four to six weeks to get one for the bike I like to ride a few times a week. About fives weeks into the wait I get an email notifying me that the wrong controllers came in and I was going to have to wait another two or three months! So I did what I had to do…… I ordered a new motor, they were in stock. I still have a controller on order so my crazy plan is to remove controller off of the new motor and install it on my old one. This way when the new controller shows up I will still have a brand new spare motor so, that’s what I did.
I’m working on an idea to waterproof my original motor and that’s pretty much why I’m going this route, don’t want to experiment on the new one.
To the point! I put the new controller on, sealed the gasket among other things and I am still getting the error code 11 on startup without running it. So I’m thinking that the temperature sensor is not on the controller circuit boards. There are two small black wires that go from controller into the stator/armature section of the motor and my guess is they are connected to the sensor. There is a harness of two 4 wire plugs going into motor half that I’m guessing controls the motor speed and such. I’m leaning to the sensor is in the motor section connected to the black wires.
Hopefully there’s someone here that knows more about this stuff than I do and can point me in right direction.

The more I think about it, it makes sense that the temp sensor would be in or on the stator because that's where the heat is generated. I think I'm answering my own questions LOL!

This is just from reading on the forums here and elsewhere, but the BBSHD appears to have two temp sensors. I have not seen detail on exactly where they are located. While that was stated in reference to the BBSHD, perhaps the Ultra has a similar design. There appears to be quite a bit of design overlap on these two motors. Your post made me curious, but I've not seen any technical info yet about where the sensor(s) might be. In the BBSXX motors you install a homemade setup into the controller potting from articles I've seen, and that makes sense when you consider the controller is usually the first thing to heat up to a failure point. If there is a second sensor, like you suggest you'd think it would be at/near the windings. I'll be curious to hear from those who know the detail on this.

Well it turns out the two black wires do in fact go to a temp sensor in the stator (windings). From what I gather it is not repairable and will result in having to buy a new motor. I’m thinking why not unplug it from the circuit board? You won’t have a temp sensor but, the motor will (might) run! Or maybe the wires are cut and tied together and insulated, maybe this will fool the controller into thinking all is good. Does the sensor open the circuit when too hot? Or does it close the circuit?Maybe you can get into programming and over ride or eliminate the temp sensor. I’m just thinking out loud here. It would be a shame to ruin the motor because of a bad sensor.
Any thoughts?

I did test my ideas above and found that unplugging and or shorting wires together didn't work. A guy from another forum says it's a little more complicated than I was thinking. The temp sensor provides a value in ohms, it's not an on-off switch like I was thinking.
Now If I can figure out where to find this temp sensor.

Back