Freway VR 01

djlarsone

1 mW
Hello everyone, I have a Freway VR 01 ebike that has a display that is gone dark. All control - lights, pedal assist mode is gone as a result. The battery turns on and charges normally, but have no other function as far as ebike goes. The company is long gone, and as a result can find very, very little information on the bike. Would like to just try replacing the display, but have very little hope of finding one. Would like to know if I have options to get this running again. It's a very nice bike with decent components. Am I able to replace display, battery, controller and continue to use the motor? Or is there an alternative display that may work? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, that is the review that helped me decide to purchase the bike. But not any answers to my current problem in the video. Thanks for responding, though.

I have Freway VR 01. I paid $75 because the battery was dead. So I opened it and removed the controller and BMS from it. I thought I can use the controller/display with a new battery. Unfortunately, the controller does not work with a different battery. It has the comm lines to BMS. The color display is beautiful but the functions are limited. Not very useful. So the best option is to buy a cheap controller (36V, 10A) and a throttle. You don't need to use PAS. The motor is Bafang G010 and the interface is a common 9-pin connector. If your battery is working, I think you can use it. All you need is two power lines from it. However, the original battery capacity is very small and it may not be useful with a throttle. You should think about getting a better battery, too. Good luck.

djlarsone said:
So if I buy new controller, throttle, battery, and compatible lcd display do you think I could get back PAS function?

If the controller supports PAS, then yes. You may have to reconcile the controller's PAS plug with an incompatible plug on your bike.

If the battery is in fact good you can get that thing going again for next to nothing if you're not too picky. If you were happy with it's performance before there is pretty much nowhere to go but up. That said if it turns out to require a battery along with controller, etc, you may end up spending a fair amount for very little in return. Depends on your needs an expectations, but if I were considering investing in it I'd be looking for a tangible performance upgrade. But perhaps that's just me

I was pretty OK with the performance. Was getting 20 - 25 miles per charge on low level of PAS. On the other hand, a performance upgrade for a moderate investment would be better long term. It really is a fun bike to ride, and even at 4-5 years old does not have a whole lot of miles on it. I really have very little experience working with these bikes. What would you suggest as a moderate upgrade? The controller and battery are integrated(the controller is in the bottom of the battery case).

Hi djlarsone,
I can sell you my display for $10 + shipping ($10). Total $20. You will get the item in the first photo. Other photos show the display is working. If you are interested, send me a PM.

This is what you get.
DSCN2636.JPG

Other photos
Front light OFF, front light ON, 2nd page of the display
DSCN2631.JPG
DSCN2632.JPG
DSCN2634.JPG

There ya go. What a happy coincidence that someone actually had one laying around. Hopefully it resolves the issue, otherwise you're going to have to do some electrical engineering.

Well, looks like back to the drawing board on my Freway VR 01. The new display I tried did not solve the problem. Still dark and no PAS control. Assuming the controller is bad and will probably require a kit upgrade of some type.

If you can solder and know how to use a multimeter you can probably get it going again. I'd start by disassembling the enclosure to gain access to everything. From there you'll need to figure out how integrated everything is in regards to controller, bms, power switch, charging, etc. It could be as easy as wiring up a replacement controller (albeit probably mounted externally) and display while leaving everything else alone, or could necessitate a major overhaul of multiple systems.

Bear in mind, despite being a smaller pack it still contains a lot of stored energy. Be careful not to short anything while poking around. A battery fire will ruin your day.

Well, looks like back to the drawing board on my Freway VR 01. The new display I tried did not solve the problem. Still dark and no PAS control. Assuming the controller is bad and will probably require a kit upgrade of some type.
I read your thread about the display going dark, then you bought one that was offered on the forum?
My Freway VR01 actually works just fine, but the glass on the display shattered. Wondering if I can buy your spare or dark one? Thanks

ddbass@gmail.com

Back