Problem with Sabvoton 72150 controller

Bolt83

100 µW
Dear community, I desperately need your help.

I'm seriously struggeling with my bike. It is (was) running following components:

Sabvoton 72150 controller, QS V3 Motor.

It ran flawless for about 3 years, but then, a few weeks ago inside the battery a connection
unsoldered --> no voltage, or no stable voltage, so the bike stopped.

I disassambled everything to find the problem, in the end I found out that not only the
battery had a problem, also all 3 hall sensors were defective as well as the temperature sensor
inside the motor. I replaced the halls, did not have the temp sensor, so I left it and changed
the temp values in the software so it would not go in failure mode.

There must have been some high voltage where it does not belong, otherwise the battery
problem would not cause the sensors to fail. (Maybe this happened while disassembly, I just do not know)

Now, when I run it with no load, steady and mid speed, after a few seconds there is a hard "klock"
sound, as if the controller gives current to a phase that it should not at this moment. Still it
runs, when I then up the RPM, still without load, there is another "klock" noise, but less aggressive and then
the controller goes in failure mode, error 8, phase over current.

Note: It goes into failure mode when it is decerlerating, not accelerating ! (What a weird thing to me)

It does that every single time, I now have changed the halls a second time, tried everything inside the
software to medigate this, but to no avail.

I'm really out of ideas now. I seldomly ask for help, but now I have to...

Here is a video where you can see what is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN5aUCp5OXc

Hopefully you can help me out with this one, I'm a bit frustrated by now... ok, very frustrated...

Thank you very much.

Georg

PS: If you need any further technical information about the bike, please let me know.

Well, is there really nobody out there having any clue about that??

Maybe you can tell me where to ask?

Any help is really appreciated!!

Thank you

If you loose connection inside the battery at high revs with flux weakening activated an overvoltage problem can occour inside the controller.
Not only the mosfets can be damaged during this event. The hall sensors died because of overvoltage, so everything around the hall supply voltage and hall inputs could be damaged.

Have you installed the right Hall sensors?

The best thing would be to try a different/new controller.

Hi Dominik, thanks for your reply !

SS41's I have installed. Should be correct I think.

But, wouldnt a different hall sensor work as well? What kind of difference would be?

Don't want to buy a new controller, seems to me that it is not that toasted...
it does run, but not very long...

Problem is , no one has a schematic of the controller, so no one can tell you what and where to exactly measure inside your controller. If there is nothing burn't inside, then you will not find an defective part.

I have opened up my 2 defective Controllers, in one I changed the FETs and it was running for about 100km, but now it is not working anymore and the FETs measure all ok. So where start to search?

The 72150 is so cheap that if you have to pay someone to have a look inside, a new one will be cheaper.

Back