bafang mid drive: pedals sometimes spins forward with throttle use, causing peddle assist to kick in. unsafe!?

johnle1269

1 µW
bafang mid drive: pedals sometimes spins forward with throttle use causing peddle assist to kick in after off the throttle.

situation:
at a stop, i usually use the a tiny bit throttle to get the ebike to start moving forward. then i usually get on the pedals or give it more throttle. but sometimes when im just maneuvering the ebike around (inside my home or sidewalk maneuvers) i will only use very fine ammounts of throttle to move the bike around. usually no problem (and smoother than using peddles which would kick the motor on too abruptly).

but today i was getting out the elevator, sitting on the bike, i used the throttle to round the cover with no feet on the pedals. when i throttled forward it somehow cause the peddles to spin as well, which kicked in the paddle assist and i found myself going full speed into the wall and crashed until i realized to use the brakes. wtf??!?!?

i put the ebike on its middle stand so the rear wheel was off the ground. then i gave it full throttle and saw the the peddles began to spin forward... slowly! the forward motion of the peddle kicked on the peddle assist so the ebike went full peddle assist speed with NO ONE peddling it. off throttle! the peddles continued to spin indefinitely even when i was off the throttle! (the pedals spun very slowly but still!) it would still stop properly if i hit the brakes or stopped the peddles from spinning manually.

now i understand that if my feet where in the proper place, it would stop the peddles from spinning and the peddle assist would not kick in, but what happened what kind of scary. i scuffed up my knuckle pretty bad just crashing into the wall.

i kind of new to bicycles in general, but how do you make it so that free peddles dont spin when on throttle, of even going down hill with no feet on the pedals?!?

anyone have any experiences? is there something that needs to be lubed up? the chain is pretty dirty. would that cause the peddles to spin forward with the wheel?

im also waiting on my programing cable to arrive to play with the settings so the initial power is more gentle and maybe i can peddle from a stop with out freaking out.

johnle1269 said:
i kind of new to bicycles in general, but how do you make it so that free peddles dont spin when on throttle, of even going down hill with no feet on the pedals?!?

Maybe disconnect the motor and just learn to ride a bike without it first. It will soon become natural to have your feet on the pedals, since the bike won't go anywhere otherwise. After a few months of that, connect the motor, and muscle memory will tend to keep your feet on the pedals.

Back