Ebike hub motor play at axle

MarkJohnston

10 kW
Hello,

I have some side to side play in my ebike hub motor. I can move the wheel back and forth with my hands a tad bit. It's firmly bolted down into the axle. It's not much play, but it is enough where it messes with my rim brakes a bit.

Any idea why the motorized wheels would do this? How to fix it?

That's usually either wrecked axle bearings or loose fitting bearing seats. You'll probably have to pop off one or both side covers to learn which it is.

If it's loose bearing seats, you can use slip fit assist Loctite to keep them still. If it's worn out bearings, just get new ones.

Chalo said:
That's usually either wrecked axle bearings or loose fitting bearing seats. You'll probably have to pop off one or both side covers to learn which it is.

If it's loose bearing seats, you can use slip fit assist Loctite to keep them still. If it's worn out bearings, just get new ones.

Yeah I figured it was the bearings, probably not worn out because the hub motor only has a few thousand miles on it.

Where do I get new bearings at? Or perhaps I was shorted a bearing because this happened two weeks after my initial installation. I had a regular bicycle hub do this on a brand new bike, i.e. play at the axle it turned out there weren't the right amount o bearings inside!

How many bearings are typically inside an ebike hub motor per side and would a regular bike shop carry them or are they are a specialty item only available online?

My ride is heavy, very heavy over the rear wheel by the way, not sure if the weight could put extra pressure on the bearings. These wheels do look extra heavy duty though with their 12 guage spokes, super thick axle, rims, etc ,etc

Once you get the covers off, you should be able to read the bearing number printed on the seals, for instance 6004 RS. If not, you can identify them by their dimensions.

I go to a local bearing shop if I'm in a hurry, or to VXB or The Big Bearing Store online if I'm not.

Bearings crap out for many reasons unrelated to running loads. Installation that places a side load on them is one possibility; contaminated or inadequate lubrication is another. Sometimes they fail quickly because they're cheap and awful. If they're not glassy smooth and silent when you get the covers off, they're damaged. If they are perfectly smooth, then the looseness you feel may be a loose fit in the covers.

Thick spokes reduce the amount of weight your wheel can carry reliably, by the way. Big rims and thin spokes, laced tightly, give best reliability and lowest maintenance. Chinese sellers pander to the ignorant by using spokes that are too thick for the rims.

Chalo said:
Thick spokes reduce the amount of weight your wheel can carry reliably, by the way. Big rims and thin spokes, laced tightly, give best reliability and lowest maintenance. Chinese sellers pander to the ignorant by using spokes that are too thick for the rims.

The rims are actually quite narrow but its double walled. Seems pretty sturdy there. It just "feels more heavy duty" in the rim section. I have a normal bicycle tire on the front with thinner 14 guage spokes. 12 guage on the motor wheel

MarkJohnston said:
Chalo said:

The rims are actually quite narrow but its double walled. Seems pretty sturdy there. It just "feels more heavy duty" in the rim section. I have a normal bicycle tire on the front with thinner 14 guage spokes. 12 guage on the motor wheel

Mine is doing the same thing. Left side, brake side, wobble, on the axle, top of tire moves 1/4 inch or more. I was told by another long time poster ( who had motrs longer than me) and he said ( MAD RHINO) that I should replace that bearing quickly, for the next thing that happens is scraping the rotor on the stator.. ( magnets to metal) very soon.

Its slowly getting worse, over the last month. I do about 120 miles a month minimum.

MarkJohnston said:
quarter inch is a lot. much more than mine. by rotors what do you mean?

The core of the motor ( stator) and the ring that the spokes attached to ( magnet ring rotor)... Are misalignment. Yes, at least 1/4 inch, It was so bad i tore down the entire suspension system looking for damage. It would "thunk" on throttle applications and braking. Then you can feel the magnets pull wobbly. It weaves pretty bad for a powered bike. Getting worse. Tore teh entire thing down, found no damaged bearings or suspension, and found teh thunk was the wheel wobbling.

I worry about the magnets ( on the magnet ring) scraping the rotor ..... Yeah sorry about the generic terms I used.

Back