Tongsheng completely dead

Richieharvo

10 µW
We have Tongshengs fitted to two ICE trikes. My wife has failed after 1700 faultless miles. She recently set off but after two pedal strokes the motor cut out. It did this a few times and now won't function at all, there is no sound coming from it. I have checked everything I can, battery is good, display working as normal with no error codes showing. I've unplugged and replugged everything a few times, checked the speed sensor which is positioned correctly. I even tried it without the sensor fitted. I have taken the covers off and it's pristine inside, no evidence of water damage or any other noticeable fault.
I think I have searched every entry on the site plus Google but can find no information as to how to determine if it is the controller which may have failed. Does anyone know how to use a multimeter to test the terminals from the controller to the motor, which can be seen when the cover is removed. It would seem essential to be able to do this if the motor is to be repaired, otherwise it seems one would have to replace the display, controller, torque sensor and possibly the motor in turn before solving the problem. It would seem easier just to buy another complete unit and keep the old one for spares. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you ever tested a normal metal box controller ? If so the process is the same.
Test the mosfets via the phase wires with no battery power and if they check out, test the motor halls with power via the 5v line.

calab said:
why would you buy another Tongsheng you need to go simpler with less complexity hub motor.
It's not complexity that plagues the TSDZ2-- it's crappy design, lack of engineering, and lousy quality control.

Richieharvo said:
Sorry but I've no idea what a metal box controller is, or mosfets for that matter, can you put me right?

Rather then me try and explain in a long post, it is easier to post a link to how to.
https://ebikes.ca/learn/troubleshooting.html

Which display do you have? Did you test if the walk assist function works or not? Is the speedometer reading in the display still working?

Chalo said:
calab said:
why would you buy another Tongsheng you need to go simpler with less complexity hub motor.
It's not complexity that plagues the TSDZ2-- it's crappy design, lack of engineering, and lousy quality control.
The Tongsheng has been brilliant so far, much superior riding experience than a hub motor IMHO, design and engineering seem mostly fine, I think it's a minor glitsch, I'm going to get to the bottom of it.

Richieharvo said:
Chalo said:
The Tongsheng has been brilliant so far, much superior riding experience than a hub motor IMHO, design and engineering seem mostly fine, I think it's a minor glitsch, I'm going to get to the bottom of it.

Whatever you say.

But there sure are a lot of reports of various problems with this system, considering it isn't even very popular.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Tsdz2+broke&terms=all

I know the same creative minds who would put a snap ring groove at the point of highest mechanical stress probably designed in a bunch of other unnecessary problems too.

Chalo said:
Richieharvo said:
Chalo said:

Whatever you say.

But there sure are a lot of reports of various problems with this system, considering it isn't even very popular.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Tsdz2+broke&terms=all

I know the same creative minds who would put a snap ring groove at the point of highest mechanical stress probably designed in a bunch of other unnecessary problems too.

True they have TERRIBLE QC. Like their tolerances are not okey, in any way, shape or form.
But calling them out on a list of unnamed problems, is unfair.

Yes that grove is a MAJOR++ fuckup.

But the remaining known problems are either:
1. Torque sensor breaking (which is actually a pretty nifty part and mostly caused by above mentioned tolerance issues)
2. plastic gear breaking (which is an issue with a lot of motors, it's a sacrificial gear for a reason)
3. Breaking clutch bearings (which is again, often caused by tolerance issues)

You are making it look like these motors are the absolute worse motors on the market. While they are actually not far off, it's not like the Bafang kits have super-great QC and tolerances either. (which where actually even clones of other manufacturers from back in their early days).

I'm not saying the TSDZ2 is the best motor ever, but it has it's place and quality wise it isn't super worse than the competition.
The one thing I personally find super lacking the fact it's an obscure company you cannot easily reach out to, that does not actively aim to resolve reported design flaws.

TLDR:
Unless you can actually name (design flaws), it's better to not resort to slander and, basically, just stfu.

Richieharvo said:
... Any help would be appreciated.
If the tsdz2 suddenly has stopped, mostly one of the sensors is the cause.
First the speed sensor, because this is outside on the bikeframe. The magnet must be far enough (10mm) of the reedcontact.
Second the torque and PAS sensor. See if you can use walkassist to ignore these sensors.
If you have vlcd5, you can check the torque sensor for measuring reasonable values with you weight
Sometimes the PAS sensor is the cause, this you can measure with a multimeter on the controller.

If you have installed OSF it is possible to drive the bike with a broken sensor.
With that function you can ignore that broken sensor and determine wich of the sensors is broken.

Other cause could be a burned mosfet on the controller.
This you can measure on the motor wires. But mostly you can smell and see this on the controller too.

And last it could be one of the hall sensors inside the bare motor.

Last year I fitted our two ICE recumbent trikes with the Tongsheng TSDZ2 motors and they have been wonderful until recently. One suddenly failed at 1700 miles. The motor worked for a few pedal strokes then stopped altogether. The speedo was showing 22, 35 then finally 62.4 mph. I have read many post on Endless Sphere etc and tried most suggestions. I finally decided to take it apart thinking it may be the torque sensor but everything looked fine. Adjusting the speed sensor has no effect. Then our second motor failed at 1500 miles. Again I tried all the fixes without success. I was ready to give up on them. I had one further go on the bike to see if it would work again. I freewheeled a short way down the drive and noticed the speedo was reading 62mph. I hadn’t moved the pedals so this couldn’t be the torque sensor as I had thought, I then noticed that rather than remove the speed sensor or magnet, I had simply swivelled it through 90 degrees, thinking this would do the trick. Then I remembered on our first motor the magnet had got turned a bit just before it failed. I then removed the magnet completely and voila, everything was back to normal. It seems that if the magnet gets severely twisted round, it doesn’t matter if you then position it correctly, something has gone awry and the motor switches off. Perhaps the motor firmware can be tweaked to get the speedo working again but I’m just happy to have the motors back. Sorry if this is a long post but it could save someone else a lot of heartache.

Two checks:

Does walk mode work? (Turn on in settings, then press and hold -)
-if not then the motor/driver may be at fault

Do you get torque sensor readings in the diagnostic menu? There's an initial reading and a love reading.
-if not the torque sensor may be at fault

If neither work, then look at the controller.

Assuming all connections are ok

Back