MiPower electric bike charger problems.

MIKEY1983

1 µW
I have a MiPower electric bike and when I plug the charger in, it turns off after a few seconds. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

How old is the battery? # cycles?

Can you get a known-good spare to test with?

You need a DMM to measure the voltages

Maybe an ammeter to watch the current.

MIKEY1983 said:
I have a MiPower electric bike and when I plug the charger in, it turns off after a few seconds. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
To find out the problem, we'll need some clarification.

By "plug the charger in", do you mean plug into the wall, or into the bike? (assuming it is a separate box and not built into the bike)

By "turns off" do you mean any lights on it turn off completely?

If so, does it matter whether it is connected to the bike or not?

Meaning, does it stay on while only plugged into the wall, but turn off after being connected to the bike?

If the lights don't turn off, then exactly what do they do?

If it has a fan, does this turn off as well?

Did the bike and charger ever work normally for you?

If so, what, if anything, out of the ordinary happened between the time they worked normally, and the time they didn't?

Note that some of the testing you'll need to do to determine what the problem is will require a multimeter; these are very cheap (less than $5-10) at places like Harbor Freight, if you have one nearby.

Some possible causes:
The charger might simply have failed internally. As simple as a fuse on the output, or as complicated as switching electronics.

The charger's wiring from the output to the bike has broken inside the connector or the cable. This may even be intermittent.

The bike's charge port has broken, or internal fuse has blown, etc.

The bike's battery has failed in any of a number of ways, and is refusing to charge to protect you from a potential fire, so the charger turns off because it has nothing to do.

Could be other things, but we need more info to help you find out.

Back