Brand New TSDZ2 48v 750w Clicking Noise

nbrus27

100 µW
Any idea what could be causing this clicking noise in a brand new motor? I am looking to return it to pswpower seller on ebay but was wondering if its simple enough to fix myself. I haven't opened it up as I may have to return it.
[youtube]l0BIqKxZIto[/youtube]

There are several possibilities, discussed in various TSDZ2 threads, but could include just needing to bed-in gearing/etc., or debris left inside from manufacturing, or cracked bearing races, or clutch/freewheel problems, possibly even a cracked BB spindle at the known-weak-point(s).

Carefully and slowly hand rotating the cranks forwards for whole rotations, then backwards the same, and listening for the noise may help pinpoint it. Certain things will be cyclic in different timings; stuff right on the BB spindle will probably click just onc per rotation, while things involving gearing may click only once per gearing ratio rotation (which will probably be faster than the crank rotation). If it doesn't make a sound with crank rotation, it may make one only during motor operation.

If it's under warranty you're probably best off dealing with the seller on exchange/return/repair/etc., to avoid spending money you don't need to (and voiding future warranty).

Otherwise I'd recommend poking thru the existing info; this is one possible search that might help
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=tsdz2+%2Aclick%2A+%2Anoise%2A&ch=-1

Thank you for your informative reply amberwolf ... I am waiting for the seller to get back to me, but you have given me some things to consider now. I agree that its probably best to have the seller replace the faulty unit even if it will be a long wait to sort things out. At some point I will have to get my hands dirty and strip one of these bad boys down myself.

Back