Brainpower Controller show error 09

MaximumRatio

1 µW
Hello everyone,

I have an Brainpower Motor Controller, I bought it as a new product and after 3 months of use the controller broke. I opened it up the to see inside the damage of the controller because I couldn't even do pedal. The problem was a short-circuit from one single n-channel Mosfet in the middle (blue phase). So I troubleshooted all Mosfets of the blue phase and changed all six from HY3007 to HY3208 http://en.hymexa.com/html/dn/index.html. After I opened up the controller I figured up also that one of the two green capacitors and the one small black capacitor in the pics have exploded. It was due to the vice versa polarity, so I changed them up with a new one and with the right polarity. The problem is that the controller it works only for a few meters and then throws me an error code 09 in the LCD Display S866, which is a controller failure problem. Is anything wrong with this type of Mosfet? I measured the throttle voltage and it works perfect, the LCD Display works fine, it seems to me that controller doesn't have a phase output from the Mosfet I changed and the rear wheel doesn't spin.

What should I do? To measure the yellow phase if it works properly?

Attachments

• hy3208ap_hy3208am_hy3208ab_hy3208aps_hy3208apm.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • b3cec5c6cdd8bda.pdf
    985.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1653686244839.jpg
    1653686244839.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 331
  • 1653685564904.jpg
    1653685564904.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 331
  • 1653685683876.jpg
    1653685683876.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 330
  • 1653685776356.jpg
    1653685776356.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 330
Depending on why the FET blew, it may have taken out the gate drivers for that phase. These are probably the group of SMT resistors/transistors/etc near each phase (probably one group for the high and one for the low half of each bridge of each phase, so six driver setups).

You can try comparing multimeter readings of non-moving-motor voltages between each one while powered on to see if the blue phase is different from the other two, and where; you might be able to then find and repair the specific part(s). Typically it's the gate resistor itself from the gate of the FET to the output of the driver, and then the driver transistor(s) themselves. If you have an oscilloscope it's even easier to see the problem (though no easier to fix).

Occasionally the failure is bad enough to actually get battery voltages back to the MCU output pin itself, and that you can't fix. :(

I am not sure about the MCU, the XMC-K, because controller works properly for 1km. I am thinking that the Mosfet isn't suitable for the controller, because they have 80Volts Drain-Source-Voltage if you look on the datasheet of the HY3208P and the right ones namely the HY3007P has 63V Drain-Source-Voltage. That means the Mosfet needs more voltage to activate the Drain-Source pins. I found the same Mosfets in AliExpress and I ordered 30 pieces. I am going to measure the phases today.

The Vds isn't the activation voltage, it is the maximum voltage you can use across those pins. The greater it is, the more margin you have for the battery voltage you can use (or the regen capability, if your motor and controller support that).

The activation voltage is the Vgs, or gate voltage. There's another factor, the gate charge (q), which essentially means how much current into the gate, for how long a time, it will take to activate the gate. (and that is not a hard edge; it's a threshold, there's a curve to how much gate voltage will give full switch-like behavior of the FET, vs making it just an analog amplifying transistor).

Generally as long as the gate charge is "similar", and the Vgs is similar, the FET should work about the same, as far as that goes.

RDSon is another factor, it's the resistance of teh FET when fully turned on. Less is better for our application. If all the FETs in a phase aren't the same, current doesn't share well between them and the lowest resistance one takes more current and will probably fail first. (the others in the phase then have to take that much mroe current, and are more likley to quickly fail right after this happens).

Back