Stripped axle nut

e.mote

1 mW
I remounted the rear wheel back onto my brother's ebike (after replacing the defective PAS sensor), and encountered another problem.

As I tightened the lock nut on the drive side, the spacers pushed on the axle nut in the picture further onto the axle, stripping its threads. It prevents tightening of the locknut on the drive side.

rear_axle_nut.jpg

My question is, should there be some sort of sleeve collar between the nut and the rear hub motor, or a bunch of spacers, to prevent this from happening? I don't see such a part on online videos of rear wheel installs, so is this arrange normal? By itself, the nut isn't strong enough to withstand the pressure of a tightened axle.

I would appreciate any input. My next step is to go to the hardware store and find a suitable sleeve and spacers to support the nut.

>That's a locking nut in the picture.
>There should have been a thick washer somewhere to prevent what happened.

Sorry, my terminology is mixed up. Yes, the locking nut is stripped. There were spacers (thick washers) pushing against it, and its thread alone wasn't strong enough to hold it in place, and it got pushed further into the axle when I tightened the axle nut (the outermost one).

I cut off the stripped nut. I'm looking for this part,

M12_spacer.jpg

this M12 spacer will sit up against where the axle flats start, and will back up the locking nut, preventing the latter from being pushed into the axle.

Is this part sold in normal hardware stores, or is it an (e)bike-specific part?

>You say 'drive side'. Where are the parts that consist of the 'drive'? Do you place a cassette or freehub on there?

I took off the freewheel to access the stripped nut. Here are pics for both sides of the axle. The innermost nut in the drive side pic is the one that was pushed further into the axle, when I tightened the axle onto the frame.

axle_left_side.jpg

axle_right_side.jpg

I checked and the axle threads were not damaged, only the threads on the nut (which is made of softer metal). Pics of the axle below. The silvery stuff is the stripped threads from the removed nut.

axle_1.jpg

axle_2.jpg

I think you've got the solution... the washer goes next to the shoulders on the axle after the threads end. On my build I needed an extra thick washer so that the free wheel gear housing would clear the frame.

A97qVw3.jpg

For me, just one of those unbelievable, one of a kind finds in my washer parts section. :shock: :D Good luck in your search.

Regards,
T.C.

>Good. No idea why you have that locknut on the axle...lol

>Watch this and see if this helps...no locknut.
>1. Cassette threaded to the hub drive side
>2. spacer

The locknut was installed with the bike. It's a chinese (Ancheer) bike, and build was low quality. But I think I understand why the locknut was used.

The axle "shoulder" on my hub motor is fairly short. See how low the 3.8mm washer sits in the below pic, relative to the freewheel. From eyeballing, the shoulder is at least 1cm lower than the face of the freewheel. So, one would need 2-3 3.8mm washers to bring it to the same level as the one in the video. Instead, Ancheer took a shortcut and used a locknut instead of the several washers. And when I tightened it down, the locknut couldn't hold.

freewheel.jpg

So, my solution is to hit the hardware store, and get several of the 4mm x 12.5mm washers, and like you said, skip the locknut.

This my first time with solid axle hubs, so it's an educational experience. I normally ride road bikes with hollow axles & skewers, like below.

road_wheel.jpg

ebuilder said:
Its an ebike specific part....not available in a hardware store.
For future reference, this FleaBay vendor seems list all the unusual E-Bike specific axle nuts, caps, washers, etc.
https://www.ebay.com/str/electricbikesandpartsfactory

Back