SOLVED - BBSHD - Tried flashing 30A firmware, now NO firmware works - Display always shows 0% battery

Lewis8253

1 µW
I bought a BBSHD. While I could never get any version of the programming software to recognise my bike in Windows, the Speeed Android app did, and showed that my bike was limited to 25A. Trying to set anything above 25A gave a "current limit out of range" when flashing.

I found a firmware file to try, followed the instructions to set the right settings, and flashed away. On the first attempt, the bike worked normally, but the Speeed app showed a 28A limit now. In an order that I do not remember, I then tried firmware from FasterBikes, YouTube, and from the following members on the Endless Sphere BBSHD Voltage Problem thread: Amberwolf, Original, Ranchero, Rydon. Tdirider, and Tokoyama. None of them made the throttle or peddle assist work. Somewhere in that, I also tried the 48 to 52V conversion from Golden Motor. I cannot be sure but I think things became a problem after trying this.

The bike still turns on with the display, and now always shows 0% battery, including on the Speeed app. I checked some of those firmwares on Speeed and all of those I checked still shown 0% battery. If I change that to voltage on the bike's display, it shows 49.2V, which is correct as I checked the battery with a multimeter. I'm guessing because the bike thinks there is no power, that it won't budge. Interestingly, one of the firmwares provided by Rydon caused the bike to power forward the second the flashing finished, until I powered it down. Each power up, the bike would start moving until I flashed something else.

I would have thought at least ONE of those firmwares would have made something work, but nope. At this point, I don't care if the firmware is for 48 or 52V, I just want a working bike.

I should add that the display only shows an error 21 which I cannot clear. No speed shows on the display when rotating the wheel. I had the same error when I got the bike but I cleared it by giving more distance between the sensor and magnet as they appeared to touch. When going in the normal direction, the sensor light stays red, going off when the magnet meets it. I thought it originally was the other way around, but this shouldn't matter for the battery percentage being 0%? There's no battery information when I got the bike and there still isn't.

Having tried EVERY firmware I can find, and going so much Googling that I feel sick, Is my controller frocked? Is there any way to rescue this?

Images of the display, Speeed app, and original settings (captioned): https://imgur.com/a/ZjbQCuP

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

For your point 1, I did look to make a firmware backup first, but my research said that it was impossible to take a backup of the BBSHD firmware, so I just had to risk it for a chocolate biscuit. There's not much I can do if there's no tool that works, sadly.

For 2, many people use the Speeed app and have success, so I don't really see its usage as a concern. I tried multiple drivers, and multiple uninstalls and reinstalls, but ultimately it is a driver issue for me. I loaded up a live USB of a portable Windows, installed the latest drivers, and indeed I could finally get the reprogramming software to work. Bit of a headache but got there!

For 3, I have now found a solution! I contacted someone online who offers reprogramming services, and it turns out that although I had genuinly believed I was buying a BBSHD, it turns out I was mislead when purchasing the bike, and it's actually a BBS02. I couldn't get anywhere as I was flashing BBSHD firmware to a BBS02 without realising. The only post with BBS02 firmware was from 2014 and had a dead OneDrive link, but thankfully this person had a copy and while there are still problems to iron out, such as how there's 9 PAS levels but my display only goes up to 5, and ANY attempt to reprogram it will brick the controller with an error 30 until it is reflashed, but at least I have something functional for the moment. I did try that open source firmware you linked to before, which shows it can work with some BBS02's, but it didn't for me, so my motor must not be compatible.

SOLVED!

Back