If you could do something entrepreneurial in the EV industry,what would you do?

Get the forum community involved in polls and surveys.
KL70   1 µW

1 µW

If you could do something entrepreneurial in the EV industry,what would you do?

Post by KL70 » Mar 22 2019 10:16pm

I'm doing an assignment for school, on the topic of what's something entrepreneurial you'd most want to do in the field of EV vehicles and the EV industry, plus how would you go about launching it, monetising it and finding interested customers for it.

Anything to do with just starting your own EV car conversion service, or starting an EV car manufacturing company is excluded.
I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts.

jonescg   1 GW

1 GW

Re: If you could do something entrepreneurial in the EV industry,what would you do?

Post by jonescg » Mar 31 2019 6:28am

If it were me, I'd start a poll seeking others unsolicited advice on what they hope to do, and use it to further my own interests while defeating the competition!

:P

Seriously though, we need to start recycling Li-ion batteries. Once they are useless for home storage they need to be returned to the elements they came from and turned into battery cells again.

Start offering electrified buses, trams, aeroplanes, ferries, catamarans and other public transport. Less resources per person moved that way, so the economies of scale are favourable.

Develop a reliable vehicle-to-home system for powering the place at night without draining the car down, and then set up cheap solar charging installations at workplaces.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Re: If you could do something entrepreneurial in the EV industry,what would you do?

Post by spinningmagnets » Mar 31 2019 7:41am

Over the years, there's been a lot of good ideas discussed here. One issue is that if anyone spends money developing a product and then ordering a large enough quantity to get a good "per unit" price...there is always the fear that it will be copied by some Chinese company.

I'd say it's possible to have a solid year of being the only vendor for an innovative new product, if you do everything "just right"...

The Faraday ebike company recently filed for bankruptcy, is my product better and has a marketing program as good?

qwerkus   100 W

100 W

Post by qwerkus » Apr 08 2019 3:02pm

spinningmagnets wrote:
Mar 31 2019 7:41am
Over the years, there's been a lot of good ideas discussed here. One issue is that if anyone spends money developing a product and then ordering a large enough quantity to get a good "per unit" price...there is always the fear that it will be copied by some Chinese company.

I'd say it's possible to have a solid year of being the only vendor for an innovative new product, if you do everything "just right"...

The Faraday ebike company recently filed for bankruptcy, is my product better and has a marketing program as good?
Don't look for china to produce it the first time! On the other hand, if we'd stay with established names of the industry like bosch or shimano, there would basically be no diy ebike scene to speak about. The chinese copied stuff, and made it available to mass use and mass tinkering, because those cheap chinese copies proved much easier to hack.
Anyway, I think the top priority is what already has been said: a proper way to recycle li-ion cells. What they do now (shredder it to pieces and recover nickel / cobalt via electrolysis) is just plain non sustainable.
A good 1000W GEARED hub motor for cargo would also be nice.
An finally ONE mounting standart for all mid drive motors would also make sense. This prioprietary war is just ridiculous, and produces huge amount of aluminium frames with a very short lifetime.

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Apr 08 2019 9:50pm

spinningmagnets wrote:
Mar 31 2019 7:41am
.The Faraday ebike company recently filed for bankruptcy, is my product better and has a marketing program as good?
More to the point, product as good, marketing BETTER!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Apr 08 2019 10:17pm

Develop a production friendly and cost friendly solid electrolyte.

Develop a recycling process that can re-use the waste of worn out EV packs in a cost effective and environmentally friendly way.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

shaman   100 W

100 W

Post by shaman » Apr 11 2019 12:06am

1. Create effective open source EV technology to help accelerate overall EV awareness, implementation, and development. Establish reputation on niche forums by announcing development, providing updates, and accepting feedback. Start small webstore that sells open source EV hardware. Not fret over Chinese ripoffs (they happen regardless). Expand into mainstream web via Amazon/ebay/whatever. Accept offers to do contract/consulting work for EV technology development. Sustain family and self on doing cool EV projects from anywhere I want...cause I hate my commute.

2. Create sustainable battery cell that can meet energy density/output demands for long range EVs.

megacycle   100 kW

100 kW

Post by megacycle » Apr 27 2019 4:02pm

I'd advance and promote a.c. onboard fast charging to out compete d.c. fast charging.
Gokart A123 80V
300A Kelly Controller
PM72301 motor

15S lipo
mongoose frame
mini monster controller
500W funboy
Speedict Mecury

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » May 21 2019 1:44pm

I'd build something like the elio car, but with electric power of course, minus the whole vaporware part.
Efficiency is everything :bolt:

My first major build: 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: ? on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.