eBike Range Calculators | Found a way to include the 'difficult range factors' - but it needs feedback!

eBikeaholic

10 mW
I built a few simple eBike range calculators last night in an attempt to include the 'impossible to account for' range factors, and spit out a more realistic battery capacity need and range expectation.

Please give it a try and let me know if it makes sense and/or how we can improve it!

**Updated v2: https://www.ebikeaholic.org/ebike-range-calculator **

First we answer 15 quick questions using google forms to get our 'personal efficiency factor' (does 'consumption factor' make more sense here?). The form starts with a base of each person's preferred Wh/mile 'rule of thumb', then adds points depending on their usage factors, and spits out their expected watt hours per mile (Wh/mi). Apologies to the metric users - I put km conversions within, but you'll need to convert your final score to Wh/km by dividing it by 1.609 or ask google to do it for you.

This could be really helpful for noobs but also gives experienced builders a way to play around with battery capacity for new higher power builds. It's anonymous but also allows each user to see the averages of all previous responses.

I think we'll mostly just need to fine tune the weights of each response, so let me know if any response points seem way off. Each point respresents a Wh/mi. You can see all the points in the results page.

Also, please let me know if we can add anything and if your efficiency score seems accurate.

Thanks! :bigthumb:

Show us the formulas you used?

I just updated the original page with a v2 version of the quiz form.

... got some good feedback over on Reddit and about 50 quiz responses. The average Wh/mi score was 37 which seemed way too high since most power responses were 250w or  500w. I think the quiz was oversimplified so I made the following changes:

Removed the initial watt hour rule of thumb base question.
Added a few questions.
Added a bunch of responses - hopefully will give a better spread of the points.

Updated v2: https://www.ebikeaholic.org/ebike-range-calculator

DogDipstick said:
Show us the formulas you used?
No formulas on the step 1 'Efficiency Score' form - it's basically just a quiz that tallies points and gives an estimated Wh/mi. Each point adds a Wh/mi. You can see the amount of points for each response after clicking the 'view score' button on the form. It also gives an option to see all the previous responses.

Then step 2 simple range calc formula is: Estimated Range = (Voltage x Amp Hours) / Efficiency Score (or Wh/mi)

So far v2 has almost a hundred responses. The average score is 30 wh/mi. Still seems a bit high but I'll have to look through the responses and see if some of the question weights need to be reduced.

I published a calc walk-through / 500w range test vid: https://youtu.be/SZgveHK-wJo

... my first time at the Austin Veloway - pretty awesome!

Back