Help UMN Researchers with E-Scooter Design

maddie1654

10 µW
Hello! I am a researcher at the University of Minnesota and am working to develop technology to improve e-scooter rider safety, especially in regards to e-scooter crashes with motor vehicles. We are seeking volunteers to participate in a survey about safety perception and previous e-scooter crashes. If you are interested, please use the link below to access the survey - this research will inform future design development and we would really appreciate your feedback!

Use this link to access the survey:https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3xVgfXACoT2EfAi

I presume this statement, which is on a page by itself, with just buttons for Yes and No:
A crash includes impact with any vehicle type (car, bike, another scooter, etc.), impact with a pedestrian, or any event in which you sustained injuries at or above the severity of an abrasion, bruise, or sprain (for example, a crash after losing control on rough terrain).
was supposed to have an actual Yes/No question attached to it, but you just forgot to put it in there.

Or are you just testing to see if people agree with whether that is a crash or not?

You should probably clarify that on that page.

Went thru the first 6-8 questions.

You are producing this on behalf of an institution of higher learning, within the United States?

You fail completely to even describe what an e-scooter IS. A kick-scooter with a motor, or a small motorcycle? Pictures might be useful.

Incompetent. Might pass muster for a grade-school class. Not suitable for adult consideration.

Hi - thank you both for your feedback. I apologize for the confusion. The crash question has been fixed and I've further clarified e-scooter as an electronic kick scooter. If you have any other questions about the survey, please let me know!

I assumed it was a larger type of vehicle, so that's how I filled it out.

There may be other things that were assumed based on each survey-filler-outer's ;) personal experiences, so I expect your data up to now is likely to be contaminated due to insufficient clarity of questions. Might require rethinking the survey itself, depending on the kind of data you're after (which I don't know).

To me, the questions asked (yesterday, at least) seemed that the survey is concerned with the rider's *perception* of how safe they are, rather than actual safety, or how to create safety. Another interpretation of the survey (results) could be used to determine if e-kickscooters themselves are safe, rather than to improve the safety of riders using them.

Also, I could be completely missing the point of all of the questions, but it definitely doesn't appear to have anything to do with "E-Scooter Design", which is what this thread was titled as UMN Researchers needing help with, unless perhaps it's just a first iteration of rider perception of what is going on.

If you try explaining in detail what you are actually attempting to do, you're more likely to get useful information than a simple survey (especially on a heavily-analytical forum such as this one). Often, a survey can only tell you (at best) the answers to the specific questions you ask, and perhaps some interpolated info based on the survey creator's (or data processor's) biases based on what they think they are looking for in the answers. The questions themselves will create a bias in the answers, too, because without knowing the purpose of the questions, answers may be given (or not given) that lead in a different direction than they would if the reason for a question was given.

(The survey itself is below; screenshots had to be used for most of it since it won't allow selecting most of the text to copy/paste it. Note that some of the survey has changed since yesterday, so there may be more info in there now than when I read it right after this thread was started, and thought about what I posted above, so not everything above may be applicable now, or with future changes to the survey.)

You are invited to participate in an electric kick scooter (e-scooter) safety perception and crash survey conducted by Dr. Nichole Morris at the University of Minnesota’s HumanFIRST Laboratory. The survey will inform the design of technology to assist with the prevention of e-scooter crashes, in particular with crashes involving motor vehicles, and will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. You must be 18 years old or older, have normal or corrected to normal vision, and have previously ridden an electric kick scooter (e-scooter) to participate.

Participation in the research study is strictly voluntary. You have the right to leave at any time, without providing a reason. Your decision to participate or withdraw from the study will not effect your relationship with the University of Minnesota. There is no compensation for participation.

There are no direct benefits to you from participating in this study. However, by participating, you will help with the development of e-scooter technology that may reduce crashes and improve rider safety. The risks involved with participating in this study are minimal, other than those encountered on a daily basis. There is some risk involving privacy as your questionnaire responses will be recorded. If you have concerns regarding this, see the confidentiality section below.

We will not collect any information that will make it possible to trace your participation back to you and will not share your participation with anyone outside of the HumanFIRST Laboratory. You may request to have your responses deleted at any time.

We will answer any relevant questions you may have about the study. If you would like to talk to someone about the study, we encourage you to contact Dr. Nichole Morris at nlmorris@umn.edu or 612-624-4614.

By participating in this study, you are agreeing to be in the study and have the data you provide collected and analyzed by the HumanFIRST Laboratory.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 2.png
    2.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 3.png
    3.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 4.png
    4.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 5.png
    5.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 6.png
    6.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 7.png
    7.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 8.png
    8.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 9.png
    9.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 10.png
    10.png
    13 KB · Views: 171
  • 11.png
    11.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 12.png
    12.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 13.png
    13.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 14.png
    14.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 15.png
    15.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 16.png
    16.png
  • 17.png
    17.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 18.png
    18.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 19.png
    19.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 20.png
    20.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 21.png
    21.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 22.png
    22.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 23.png
    23.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 24.png
    24.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 25.png
    25.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 26.png
    26.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 27.png
    27.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 28.png
    28.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 29.png
    29.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 30.png
    30.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 31.png
    31.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 32.png
    32.png
  • 33.png
    33.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 34.png
    34.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 35.png
    35.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 36.png
    36.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 37.png
    37.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 171
Hi - sorry for the delay, I wanted to talk to my team a bit!

I can remove your response from the data - there were only 2 responses before the "kick scooter" clarification, so this will be easy to do. To give you some more background on the research, my lab is working with 2 other labs at UMN that focus on sensing/estimation/control and AI processing. These labs are creating technology that will be integrated into the scooter, with the ultimate goal of improving rider safety. My lab specifically is a human factors lab that focuses on gathering user needs and the human interaction with the technology. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of information available about the mechanisms of e-scooter injury, so we created the survey to get more information about current rider safety needs. The results of this survey will help guide the other 2 labs in creating technology that truly fits user needs.

To answer some of your questions - you are correct, the survey does not focus on the design specifically, more on gathering information to better inform the design. Perhaps I could have used a different title! Also, many of the questions are intentionally about safety perception. Many riders have not been in a crash, so this was the best way to gather information about their safety needs (at least from the perspective of the rider). If a survey respondent has been in a crash, the answers to the related questions will provide more information about actual safety rather than perceived safety.

Thank you again for your feedback - it has definitely given me a lot to think about!

maddie1654 said:
I can remove your response from the data - there were only 2 responses before the "kick scooter" clarification, so this will be easy to do.
My guess is that's probably a good idea, though not knowing what the quantity of responses you have is (or is going to be), you might have enough "real" data to totally swamp the off-chart responses. ;)

If you haven't already, you might want to go to the various e-skate / esk8 forums, *especially* the facebook, twitter, and other social-media groups, to post this survey. I would bet that there are orders of magnitude more riders there than on ES. Even though esk8s are not exactly the same as e-kickscooters are, the problems involved are very very similar (with the major exception of the giant lever on the front of the kickscooters), and the rider experiences would likely be very useful to this project. As well as that many of the esk8ers are also likely to have expereince on kickscooters, e- or not.

To give you some more background on the research, my lab is working with 2 other labs at UMN that focus on sensing/estimation/control and AI processing. These labs are creating technology that will be integrated into the scooter, with the ultimate goal of improving rider safety. My lab specifically is a human factors lab that focuses on gathering user needs and the human interaction with the technology. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of information available about the mechanisms of e-scooter injury, so we created the survey to get more information about current rider safety needs. The results of this survey will help guide the other 2 labs in creating technology that truly fits user needs.
If you would like some detailed observation information about the way I see riders operate around here, during my commutes and other trips around the area, I can post that here (since it doesn't fit within the survey questions). Then you can also ask questions about the observations which might get more specific information on the bits that concern you most.

It would be interesting to see how you use AI (etc) to help control these to help with crash prevention, while also *not* interfering with the rider's own ability to control it (as their own judgement might be much better than that of the AI, or their sense data might be of higher quality than that the system is getting, for whatever reason).

Another data-gathering method would be to have very experienced riders be instrumented along with their rides, and then have them ride in uncontrolled and controlled conditions that are monitored externally as well (video, maybe even lidar, motion capture, etc) in realworld situations that have a potential for causing a crash, to gather data on what *they* do to avoid such things, to see if any of it can be implemented within the control AI. Some if it simply can't be, because it will involve things only the rider could do due to their much greater mass and much higher COG, moveability (I know that's the wrong word, but I'm too tired to remember the right one), etc.

You could also instrument completely inexperienced riders (with "michelin man" protection suits on :lol: ) and do the same thing, to see how the average person reacts to the same situations, to find out the kind of things that the AI is going to have to be able to deal with on a very common basis (especially with the "scooter rentals" where you have a lot of first-time-riders just wanting a quick way to get down the block or whatever, but that have absolutely no idea of the rider-vehicle interactions and physics involved, or the things they need to watch out for, especially since almost all of these things have tiny 8" or less wheels that don't go over even very teensy bumps very well, if at all.

To answer some of your questions - you are correct, the survey does not focus on the design specifically, more on gathering information to better inform the design. Perhaps I could have used a different title! Also, many of the questions are intentionally about safety perception. Many riders have not been in a crash, so this was the best way to gather information about their safety needs (at least from the perspective of the rider). If a survey respondent has been in a crash, the answers to the related questions will provide more information about actual safety rather than perceived safety.
Makes sense.

FWIW, you're going to get riders filling the survey out that *have* been in a crash, but won't tell you about it because they don't know how important that information is to your survey, and it's either embarrasing to them or "incriminating" (even if anonymous) in that it was their fault for riding the way they do. (we see this sort of evasion all the time with noobs that come here with stuff that doesn't work, and their initial post often implies it never worked when in fact it worked fine until they messed with it, or crashed it, or whatever...but we have to drag that out of them kicking and screaming so that we can then help them with the actual problem instead of the one they think they have). I don't know what you should say in the questions that will make them answer honestly more often, but there is probably something someone really good with psychology or personal interaction experience could do to help with that.

Thank you again for your feedback - it has definitely given me a lot to think about!

Sure--I'm heavily analytic by nature, even when I know little about a subject I can often deduce a fair bit from what's presented, but it's much easier to do with sufficient data, which is much easier to get when the right questions are asked--so I like to help guide people down the right data-acquisition path to be able to ask the right questions that then answer the questions they *really* needed to ask. If that makes any sense. ;)

Monitoring riders in real world scenarios would be a great source of information - we're a little limited in the interactions we can have with participants right now, but maybe soon in the future! We will be conducting usability testing with riders and the new technology - this could be something to incorporate into that as well. Maybe we could set up some "scenarios".

Thinking about rider safety (especially for new riders) - our lab has a driving simulator, but it would be awesome to have a simulator for e-scooters and other modes of transportation as well.

Good to know on the crash response rate - we are trying very hard to frame this survey less as an evaluation of the rider and more as "we want to design something that helps you stay safe and helps you be more aware of your surroundings/the conditions you're riding in". But that's easier said than done!

Right now we're just focusing on the survey (and I have to stick to that unfortunately for approval reasons), but if we do a more interview style study in the future, I will post again here. It would be great to get your feedback.

Just off the top of my head: if you want to make escooters safer with an onboard AI, have it interactively control braking. There are two major issues here: braking too hard (often because of a "grabby" brake) and getting tossed off the scooter, and loss of traction while braking. So implement smart braking that modifies deceleration to keep the rider on the scooter, and implement ABS. If you want to go that extra mile - or in this case, yard, I guess - give the AI radar or sonar for collision avoidance as well.

Thanks for your thoughts! Interactive breaking is not something we have considered yet and I can pass this along to the engineering team.

Back