What is the best type of bike for conversion ?

My opinion;

There was an old saying that the best type of exercise is the exercise that you will do, day after day.
That being said, I would respond to your query that the best type of bike for conversion is one that you will ride; One that fits you, and one you like. If it fits, you will pedal more and have less load on the motor and battery. If you already ride that type bike, you will continue to ride it.

The average ebike rider is in an urban setting, riding with some urban traffic. So get a bike you feel safe in Urban traffic. And While I am a proponent of chain drives, the right front hub motor can be really easy to install for folks that dont want to make a new life's hobby of ebikes (most regular posters here have ebikes at least as a significant hobby).
And for front hub motors, one needs to look a the postings on front forks.

Reliability is another issue, since an ebike carries more weight, faster, and more miles than your standard bike. While one can upgrade brakes, shifters, and wheels, if you are paying someone else to do this, and list price for new parts, you might be better off to start with the right bike at the getgo. Sooo, some of this answer depends on your ability to make changes yourelf and access to reasonably priced upgrade parts.

Anyway, thats my two watts worth. In other words-- It Depends.

d

I would agree that it depends, but the one in my picture is definitely one of the most fun rides I have put together. It works well for any bicycler that needs a more comfortable/supportive ride, but I was amazed by the uphill power. The company that made this recumbent (w/o e-kit) closed its doors in 2001, but there are lots of others made like it.

Back