no pressure schwinn seat or touring saddle

weirdeh

100 mW
which would be better and why? this is for the folding scooter the seat may have to come off to fit in the boot of the mini anyway. there are no pedals put I do have foot pegs.

the no pressure seat.
0737431_450_CC_554a7.jpg

and a version of the touring seat.

bw11-lg.jpg

My understanding is that the purpose of the nose on a saddle is as an aid for steering or other manouvers, at the very least to keep you from sliding off in tight turns by giving your inside thighs a place to clamp onto.

So if you're riding style is fairly sedate or your scooter has the equivalent grab point built into the frame then the Schwinn no pressure would do.

Can you or someone pls explain what is the supposed benefit to a noseless bench seat on a bike anyway?

not sure of the reason for the nose, nor do I have a real reason for no nose. but if you are not pedaling then you do not need a place for your legs to go. the seats on a recumbent have no nose, because your pedaling motion is above the seat. if that makes any sense.

I know that with the really cheap saddle that I have my butt hurts in about 2 seconds of sitting on the little scooter. the larger one I made last year has a folding bar stool as a seat and is very comfortable. so far with the folding scooter I have only driven it in the garage and up and down the drive way.

No nose seats are for things that don't lean, like trikes, or things where your in a reclined, cradle position lik recumbants.
the nose is needed for a normal seated position on any bike that leans to turn. it takes very little pressure normaly to keep a seat under you, but without it, one hard bump on a turn, and there's nothing to keep you on the seat.

I see. this is a trike but is only 16 inches wide. don't expect to be driving on really bumpy stuff. nor should it be going really fast. :)

I have a saddle with a nose on my scooter. I find it uncomfortable after a fairly short ride, but I bet it would be better on a regular bike. On a scooter (at least mine) your legs are folded up in front of you so the weight distribution on the seat is much different than it would be on a bicycle.

I'd go for the no pressure seat. Where do you get those anyway?

this one is at the local canadian tire store. which used to be an auto parts store, but now sell more toasters then anything. should be able to get at any LBS.

we have a third choice now. a fellow board member has offered this. I think it will be perfect! (its already in the mail)
2_mid.jpg

You probly have cold temperatures this time of year where you live, but I'm curious how comfortable this seat is for longer trips when cycling season arrives. Hope you keep us informed.

Cold is right, it is -10c right now and we have about 25 or so cm of snow on the ground. the little scooter has a bit of trouble getting through the white stuff. but is not that bad. have only run it about 15 or 20 min at a time just up and down the driveway. I have changed the seat adjustments about 15 times so it will take awhile to get it right anyway.

Back