Battery Charging Survey -

When you charge your batteries, do you:

• 1 Charge batteries outside on a safe surface?

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • 2 Remain present while the batteries are charging, not leaving them unattended?

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • 3 Charge the batteries on the ebikes [as they are eg installed / attached permanently to the vehicle

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • 4 Charge the batteries inside the house [room, flat, house, garage]

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • 5 Leave the batteries charging overnight unattended?

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • 6 Leave your controller power on?

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 7 Use a timer to disconnect power to the charger?

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 8 Balance your batteries?

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • 9 Keep fire-suppression equipment accessible?

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • 10 Have fuses on your batteries?

Votes: 18 34.0%

• Total voters

TylerDurden

100 GW
Originating from: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29284

Please add any relevant comments.

great idea, thanks a lot!!!

Yes me too leave the controller plug in with the ignition cable plugged in while in charge to see the voltage on the cycle analyst but when fully charged i unplug the ignition cable ...the controller is always plug

Is this refering to all battery types or is this just LiPo?

I use timers for lead acid and charge on the bike/scooter in the garage unattended.

For my Ping LiFePo4 I plug it in inside of my house with my Turnigy watt meter so I know when it is almost full. Once it is near full I hang around till the lights on the BMS come on and I unplug it.

LiPo, which I just got in to, I always charge off the bike, outside on the concrete patio. If I walk away I put my BBQ lid on it lol. I also use an Icharger 206b with all the safety features enabled i.e temp sensor, time limit, max AH output ect.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but

I have nine 6s turnigy lipos on my bike arranged for 18s 15Ah.

I charge with the packs attached to my bike, in an unfinished part of my basement or in my garage against a wall, and I leave the controller plugged but switched off in when I'm not going to charge between rides. I do not attend my packs during charging, nor do I balance charge my lipos. I have left the house with no one home while they were charging on several occasions. I do not worry for the most part.

I check the balance of my packs about every month, once at the end of a long ride and once after charging. I have my hyperion charger set to charge unbalanced to 95% TCS capacity. This is usually about 25.02V. I very rarely discharge more than 80% of my pack. I usually only discharge to no less than 60% before I charge it back up for the next ride.

The only low voltage protection I have is a buzzer that attaches to one of my 9 packs goes off at a programmed amount. iirc it's at about 3.3V/cell. Only a few times in 1.5 years have I ever had it gone off.

I may be on the edge of disaster, but my packs have <150 partial-cycles on them and the cells are always in balance when I check. I would say my pack is in good health. If I think otherwise, I will keep a closer eye on things.

Back