How many of us wear glasses while riding?

How often do I wear eye protection while riding?

• Never.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Do contact lenses count?

• Less than 50% of the time

• About 50% of the time

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Pretty much all the time but I might skip it every now and then.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • Are you kidding me? Getting blinded that one time was enough. I wear them every time I ride - no exc

Votes: 88 56.4%

• Total voters

kmxtornado

10 kW
I'm curious how many of us ride with some sort of eye protection, whether it be sunglasses, cycling glasses, something that's already built into a helmet, or even the Home Depot style safety glasses. Please vote and say a few words on your choice.

Perhaps I should start off.

My eyes get watery even at downhill speeds of 25mph on a recumbent trike. Perhaps it's the wind going into my face that makes me cry. I loved the trike (and still do) and was training for a longer 545 mile 7 day ride. To get some miles in which meant I'd have to ride at night. Most of the day time was taken up by work and errands. Sunglasses at night doesn't really work, so I grabbed a relatively affordable pair of photochromic ones from Tifosi:
http://www.tifosioptics.com/product.../search&exact-model=Tyrant&sport=Cycling|Run/ which darken in the sun. This particular pair of sunglasses are pretty much clear in the absence of sun, so riding at night with these things on is fine. I didn't want to have to switch out lenses or have multiple pairs of sunglasses. REI sells these for a good deal when you can get their 30% off coupon.

Curious if I'm being super paranoid since I'm coming from riding on 3 wheels to a 2-wheeled Trek 800 ebike. I'm just that much more worried that if stuff gets in my eyes and I can't see, it'll be that much worse trying to balance and orient myself on the road with the obstacles of traffic, kids and other fun city stuff that likes to get in our way.

The only reason I'd say I wear eye protection less than 100% of the time is b/c I recently went out at night w/o glasses or a helmet (not typical of me). Normally, I wear them all time time. Gloves, helmet, glasses - check.

The sunglasses have been great and I'm glad I had them when I was speeding down a hill at probably something close to 50mph during the Aids Life Cycle fundraiser. Maybe slower, but definitely at least 45mph. It was the best time on the trike ever! I wear these same ones one the e-bike and it's been great. Highly recommended to wear some sort of eye protection. Even if it's not for sun, the cheap safety glasses from Home Depot should work just fine. At probably $4-7/pair at the most, these can save your eyes from dust, rocks, bugs and other crud just waiting to hit you in the eye. And no, I'm not talking about the goggles that you used to wear in Chemistry class. I'm talking about these:

http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-P...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

After visiting the Home Depot site, I noticed there are a ton of other ones ranging from $3.99-19.99 that look fairly attractive. At $20 though, it's getting close to the cost of real sunglasses. I'd stick with the sub $10 if you go cheap. Each to their own.

I wear some type of wrap around safety or sunglasses to keep the wind, rain, bugs and other stuff out of my eyes always. I likes to be able to see where to put my front wheel or at least what I am running over.

I only wear normal glasses most of the time.

On bright summer days I used to wear wraparound darkened safety glasses, but those broke at the right side in a fall, and I've not fixed them yet. I only wear them for the shade, not for safety; I specifically picked those up because they coudl be worn along with my regular glasses, but my current glasses are too wide so I had to wear these inside the glasses, which is wierd.

The FF helmet has a visor if I need wind protection, but I don't usually lower it at all, and sometimes I lower it halfway such as in rain or dust storms, or if cars in front of me are kcking up debris.

If my eyes were good enough I'd probably ride without eye protection other than sunglasses or visor.

Speaking of fog, I hear if you spit on it and rub it all over, it'll fog up less. We do that with snorkeling goggles all the time and so far it works. I hope none of you end up with my rental pair. Hahhaha.

I wear glassess religiously when riding
And wont let anyone ride my bikes without
Glassess. I wear either sunnies or safety
Glassess, I bought a yellow lensed pair
Specifically for using while riding.
If you have never been hit in the face
by a large insect or rock flicked up
By another bike/car, you might not
"get" the whole glassess while riding thang, SO!
Consider this, a bee or wasp in the eye
While traveling at 30mph or more! Its
Not uncommon to get hit by insects, you
Only get on pair of eyes, look after them fellas!

KiM

As a beekeeper, I have no fear of bees, only wasps or hornets. As an ebiker, I think a person who rides without eye protection does not know that when you impact the friendly little honey bee, he will sting you in the eye and you can be blind for a week or 2. I once had a wasp bounce off my chest up under my helmet face shield and get behind my sun glasses. Life's a crap shoot.

I am actually quite pleasantly surprised how many of you wear eye protection while riding. Awesome. Can you guys talk a bit more about performance of lens color and ur experiences?

I used to work at McDonnel Douglas many years ago. They had free safety glasses that were required for everyone while working on anything. I had read about UV rays being bad for eyes, but I hadn't really believed how much I would feel the difference until one day when I couldn't find my tinted safety glasses during the day (working outside) and I wore some clear safety glasses with UV protection when running a portable grinder.

Most of the cheap clear safety glasses I had worn had no UV coating. I had expected to be squinting on this occasion, but was surprised at how comfortable my eyes were, even with the clear lenses. The only explanation I could think of is that the pair I was using was clearly labeleld as having a UV coating.

From that point forward, when ever I buy sunglasses, I make sure they have a UV coating on them. I have been hit in the face/eyes with bugs and grit thrown up by passing cars while riding a motorcycle. Even on just a bike, I always use eye protection...

I grew up with my mom having one eye...actually she has two eyes, but she calls one "store-bought", and says one of her eyes is like the stars..."it comes out at night"

edit: wife ordered me to remove my glasses when we took the pic in my avatar (shrugs and says *yes, dear*)

kmxtornado said:
I am actually quite pleasantly surprised how many of you wear eye protection while riding. Awesome. Can you guys talk a bit more about performance of lens color and ur experiences?

I learned my lesson riding overgrown single track. Nothing like a switch to the eye to adjust your attitude. Now, I always wear some type of eye gear. If I'm wearing the full face helmet, then always goggles. Otherwise, sunglasses or even clear safety glasses.

As far as lens color, I have a pretty good assortment of goggles from snowboarding and I'll use those on the eBike. I like the Persimmon tint for low light, as it adds definition without turning everything yellow. For day time, I use a polarized gray lens.

spinningmagnets said:
I used to work at McDonnel Douglas many years ago. They had free safety glasses that were required for everyone while working on anything. I had read about UV rays being bad for eyes, but I hadn't really believed how much I would feel the difference until one day when I couldn't find my tinted safety glasses during the day and I wore some clear safety glasses with UV protection when running a grinder.

Most of the cheap clear safety glasses I had worn had no UV coating. I had expected to be squinting on this occasion, but was surprised at how comfortable my eyes were, even with the clear lenses. The only explanation I could think of is that the pair I was using was clearly labeleld as having a UV coating.

From that point forward, when ever I buy sunglasses, I make sure they have a UV coating on them. I have been hit in the face/eyes with bugs and grit thrown up by passing cars while riding a motorcycle. Even on just a bike, I always use eye protection...

I grew up with my mom having one eye...actually she has two eyes, but she calls one "store-bought", and says one of her eyes is like the stars..."it comes out at night"

edit: wife ordered me to remove my glasses when we took the pic in my avatar (shrugs and says *yes, dear*)

You bring up an interesting point. I had never thought about clear lenses being UV protective. With this added benefit, I suppose there's really no reason not to wear 'em. +1 for another reason to keep that eye protection on folks.

I only wear contacts when I go skiing 8)

Woo hoo! KF

AussieJester said:
I wear glassess religiously when riding
And wont let anyone ride my bikes without
Glassess. I wear either sunnies or safety
Glassess, I bought a yellow lensed pair
Specifically for using while riding.
If you have never been hit in the face
by a large insect or rock flicked up
By another bike/car, you might not
"get" the whole glassess while riding thang, SO!
Consider this, a bee or wasp in the eye
While traveling at 30mph or more! Its
Not uncommon to get hit by insects, you
Only get on pair of eyes, look after them fellas!

KiM

I even wear clear safety glasses at night now because of this. I actually got a black eye from a bug one night. So yeah, I learnt my lesson, so now 2 things I never get on my bike without, glasses and gloves.

It's a bit interesting that your helmet isn't on that list. I definitely wear gloves though. Once getting on two wheels when riding a recumbent trike, it teaches you a lesson. Cover your fingers or the gravel will rip away the skin. Ouch!

Pure said:
I actually got a black eye from a bug one night. So yeah, I learnt my lesson, so now 2 things I never get on my bike without, glasses and gloves.

Dang! you must have some big bugs there.

I wear glasses all the time just to see. My regular eyeglasses don't do well against wind and my eyes water pretty badly at higher speeds. Larger lenses or wrap around style glasses are much better.

I've been hit by plenty of bugs and road debris thrown up by other vehicles. A couple of times I've been hit in the face by something that left a bleeding spot. I'm sure that would hurt if it was in the eye.

Favorite laser warning sign:
DO NOT LOOK INTO LASER WITH REMAINING EYE

KMX, 70% of my riding is in a very quiet neighborhood with little to no traffic out during the times I'm usually on the streets. I can do pretty much anything, movies, bars, bowling, and never really have to leave this neighborhood. So yeah I don't wear helmets much. Now if I am going to be going anywhere that takes me near or on a main road then yes, a helmet is mandatory.

Fetcher, this is Florida, we have mosquitoes large enough to carry off with an infant.

Things lose clarity beyond about 11" from my face. I'm quite blind without my eyeglasses.

Luckily, the lenses in mine provide reasonable protection from anything airborne looking to detach my retina, as they are both large enough to cover my eyes adequately and made of a particularly durable form of polycarbonate.

The only concerns I'd have with wearing regular glasses is:
1. If they were really made of glasses and can cut your face in a wreck.
2. The safety of your glasses. Don't want to get scratches on them from rocks, etc.

Pure said:
KMX, 70% of my riding is in a very quiet neighborhood with little to no traffic out during the times I'm usually on the streets. I can do pretty much anything, movies, bars, bowling, and never really have to leave this neighborhood. So yeah I don't wear helmets much. Now if I am going to be going anywhere that takes me near or on a main road then yes, a helmet is mandatory.

Fetcher, this is Florida, we have mosquitoes large enough to carry off with an infant.

Makes sense. I definitely agree that your riding environment has a lot to do with balancing out your choices in consideration of comfort, convenience and risk. I'd also agree that much of the reason for taking safety precautions for me has more to do with the unpredictability of other cagers than my own ability/inability to ride. I did see a rider on night cup up on a curb just barely missing the ramp and hit smack into the curb itself and took a fairly violent fall. I would've stopped my car to check to see if he was okay, but he got up on the bike and pedaled away fairly quickly. No damage I guess - and yup, he had a helmet. No lights though! Speaking of lights, time for a new poll!.....

...j/k.

Always wore glasses but hated the air hitting my eyes. Got worse when it rained.

When it got colder I tried safety goggles, that worked but had some problems with fogging.

Then I got a pair of prescription sunglasses with Liberty Sport frames similar to these

http://www.libertysport.com/products_detail_sun.asp?codeprod=1222&codecolo=451

, with Transitions lenses so I can also use them at night.

They fogged also. Solution for me was FogTech AntiFog, the important thing is not to wipe dry after applying. Later I read here that Cat Crap works well also.

There is a bit of a problem going from sunny to not sunny that there is some time for the darkness to adjust, but that doesn't happen so much in late fall/winter.

Below 40 degrees F, I'm wishing I had that full face helmet...

Knowing what I know now, I might have been OK with just my regular glasses with the safety goggles and FogTech, but in summer I think I'd still want to go the prescription sunglasses route.

^For what its worth, I have found spit to work very well to reduce fog with saltwater goggles. In fact, as good as the typical scuba anti-fog solutions (in part because those can be difficult to apply properly; most people overapply). I can't guarantee the spit+freshwater combo will work as well as spit+salt, though. My experience is limited to scuba diving. This might be helpful if you run out of your anti-fog solution.

----> Usually I shy away from those who suggest bodily fluids to fix anything, but in this case cleaning with spit then many a very quick dump in clean water, work quite well.

I will wear sunglasses during daytime. If it is cold down here, then I wear safety googles to prevent watering. But as far as safety googles for the sake of safety itself, never. not a bad idea because of bugs. Helmet? yes.
How many of us have things (bottles etc.) thrown at you while riding?

Sunglasses in the day, safety glasses at night. If I get caught after dark without my safety glasses in my pack, I were the shades. It's simply too dangerous to ride at such slow speeds that the wind wouldn't bother my eyes, and plus there's sand, dust, bugs, etc.

Back