Gloves are for wussies

Do you wear gloves when you ride?

• Never - it's too hot.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Never - it's just another stuipid thing I need to remember.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Dependent on the weather.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Always - It's just too darn cold where I live not to.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Always - I like keeping my skin on my fingers.

Votes: 66 65.3%

• Total voters

kmxtornado

10 kW
If that's the case, then I'm a wuss b/c I wear gloves pretty much all the time. Feel sorta naked w/o a pair on. I started ever since a cop had cut me off and stopped while I was in a bike lane. Brought my recumbent tadpole trike up on two wheels and my sawtooth crankset ended up 6" away from his shiny black bumper. I slapped my hands down on the ground to put me back on all three's. From that day on, I either wear gloves or I don't ride. Plus it helps with the weather when it gets cold.

LOL KMX you sure are busy today.

Like I said in the glasses thread, I don't get on my bike without gloves. I found out the hard way that skinned up palms sucks. 2 times now I've wiped out and lost skin on my hands. I can deal with a scraped knee, shoulder, whatever, but not having skin on your hands really sucks. You are reminded about it every time you try and use them.

I always wear gloves, even when I rode a regular bike - Touring or MtB. It just makes good sense to protect your hands from vibration and carnage.

Besides, only wussies think it's wussy to wear them :p

Gloved, KF

Gloves with padding in the palm for me in the summer just mesh on the back. Winter requires different gloves depending on the weather 20-60 deg F sun ,rain, snow, ice ect. I seldom ride without them.

Pure said:
LOL KMX you sure are busy today.

Like I said in the glasses thread, I don't get on my bike without gloves. I found out the hard way that skinned up palms sucks. 2 times now I've wiped out and lost skin on my hands. I can deal with a scraped knee, shoulder, whatever, but not having skin on your hands really sucks. You are reminded about it every time you try and use them.

Well said...knacker the hands & it makes near every task difficult don't it! And they is more often than not
the first thing that hits the ground when you come off..

KiM

Yeah, one topic led to another and I figured the poll section could use some reviving with some new topics (or at least new opinions on old topics). Glad so many people are wearing gloves!

This was the absolute first thing that was taught to me when getting my motorcycle endorsement. The first thing anyone does when they wipe out is put their hands out to break the fall. Personally I'd rather destroy a pair of gloves , than destroy my hands. (I use them to make money!)

claire said:
This thread makes me realize I'm one of the wussies then :) ... will not bike without wearing gloves.

Ditto that. I've been only wearing them when it is cold, but I think I'm going to start wearing them all the time.

They dont stop broken fingers though..I got the proof ...twice...but they do stop the pain from lots of missing flesh AND a broken finger...

biohazardman said:
Gloves with padding in the palm for me in the summer just mesh on the back. Winter requires different gloves depending on the weather 20-60 deg F sun ,rain, snow, ice ect. I seldom ride without them.

I'm with you! I find my hands go numb if i ride too often without padding, so gloves all the time. Never actually had a bike crash that had my hands hitting the floor though...

Never. My goal is total accident avoidance, and so called safety gear leads to some sense of security that inherently reduces focus and care. That's for the street riding I do. If I take up trail riding, then I'll armor up because obstacles and traction conditions are too unpredictable and my lack of experience combine to mean crashes are virtually certain.

John

I hate using them but when it's really cold it's a matter of safety, my fingers are so rigid that i cannot trust them to brake properly so i keep them warm.

yeah~ I was in a motorcycle wreck (with gloves)...got my right fingers "degloved"...the flesh was laying back on my arm...fingers all broke to hell...9mos of therapy to get my hand working again (I am totally amazed), since 9 out've ten dollars I ever made in my life was with that hand...
uh....duh.....yeah, I guess I wear some pretty rugged gloves on anything bigger than a kid's tricycle. (pedal only kind). Ya never know...till it happens to you.

Speaking of gloves all these kinds of horror stories I'm hearing.... Where should I order a pair of gloves from?? :D

I like the yellow and orange insulated work gloves like highway workers wear, XL size so I can use wool liners in the winter but only down to about 30 degrees F. I also have some high cuff BBQ gloves for when it gets colder than that. They might look stupid, but they don't call me The fingers for nothin'!

Trackman417 said:
Speaking of gloves all these kinds of horror stories I'm hearing.... Where should I order a pair of gloves from?? :D

Motorcycle gloves will do just fine from any shop near you. Cycle Gear seems to be popular. I just wear regular bicycle gloves though. Not designed to resist full abrasion, but better than nothing and I already have it. Sad thing though is quality ones of both types will be the same price. Just that motorcycle gloves tend to be stiffer and it may not be as convenient carrying it around in a back pocket. I won't make recommendations b/c it depends on your riding situation.

Back