Poll

Lessss

1 MW
I'm using an external poll to get reddit and facebook in addition to The Sphere.

http://www.wepolls.com/p/7881216/Wh...tem,-or-practice-you-encounter-while-cycling.

What is the most dangerous condition, item, or practice you encounter while cycling.
Parked cars/onstreet parking (door prize)
roundabouts/intersections
Cars merging into the lane you are fully occupying
Cars turning right too close to the curb
jaywalkers
other cyclists
no bike lanes
pot holes
too many lanes(4 lanes instead of two traffic and a center turning lane)
red light runners

It's not listed: Cars passing too closely; buttheads that pass too close on a two-lane road or hwy, sometimes by mere inches. :x

Motor vehicles need licenses because it's a privilege, not a right, and that privilege can be revoked. I don’t know why these people forget that part. I guess that would also go hand-in-hand with buttheads that honk their horn when I’m already as far to the right as I can go. Maybe my vote could just be distilled into “butthead drivers” and call it a day.

~KF

Dogs and other fast moving unpredictable animals that could cross my path but are too large to run straight over. That's my biggest risk. Next would be potholes hidden in mixed shadows and sunlight on the road, though the vast majority of the time I ride on roads I know extremely well. I don't ride within reach of a parked car's door, and I find moving cars generally predictable and quite easily avoided by maintaining the attitude that I'm invisible to them until I know I've been seen. I also anticipate their mistakes with habits and lane positioning that would make it very difficult for even a car running a red light or stop sign to hit me.

Updated numbers 163 responses up from 139

What is the most dangerous condition, item, or practice you encounter while cycling? 3 months ago on February 24 edit 31 votes
Parked cars/onstreet parking (door prize) flag 19%
44 votes Cars merging into the lane you are fully occupying flag 27%
31 votes no bike lanes flag 19%
13 votes roundabouts/intersections flag 8%
12 votes red light runners flag 7%
12 votes Cars turning right too close to the curb flag 7%
7 votes other cyclists flag 4%
6 votes jaywalkers flag 4%
5 votes pot holes flag 3%
2 votes too many lanes(4 lanes instead of two traffic and a center turning lane) flag 1%

1. Door prize. It only takes one.

2. Car drivers who don't know how to turn left (we drive on the left).
With a bike lane, only about 30% of drivers will correctly give way when turning through it.
Without a bike lane, only about 70% of drivers will correctly keep to the left and let me pass on the right. Most of those just don't bother to look behind them and don't notice me.

Bike lanes don't make us any safer unless the road was actually widened to put them in, and nobody parks in them.

Cell phones. People who drive while texting on their phone should be jailed.

Back