How wide do you go?

Ykick

1 GW
Copied this from a question about Cellman battery width but got me thinking...

dogman said:
I don't know, but FWIW, it's quite easy to pedal around 5 inches wide including the bag or box, with no particular modifications besides perhaps a longer than some set of pedals. BMX pedals run a half inch or so longer than most. No need for extra wide bb for a 5" wide battery.

According to battery space website, a 26650 cell is 2.6 inches wide, or about 65 mm. So the triangle pack should be quite narrow if it's one cell wide, and still tolerable if it's two cells wide.

Mid mounted packs are become the norm enough that we should probably express our collective preference in its own thread, poll or FAQ?

My opinion 5" fine but 4" is much better. 2P RC Lipo usually falls somewhere between 4"-5". 6" is not good for much real pedaling but workable with scooter performance.

What do the rest of you find acceptable (unacceptable?) with mid-frame mounted batteries and enclosures?

No experience with frame mounted batteries, but I do like a wider pedal distance. My trike currently has a wider axle bottom bracket to give clearance for the freewheel crank, plus I have a pedal extender on each pedal, a little machined piece that screws in between the crank arm and the pedal and adds about 3/4" to each side.

So, if your clearance between your legs and your battery pack is too tight, either of these options might help out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Pedal-Extenders-Recumbent-Trike-STAINLESS-STEEL-/160742602454?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256d0176d6

To me the limitation is the actual crank arms, so 4.5" is probably the max.

Back