ES custom motor -- Vented or Enclosed ?

Which would you prefer for your non-hub motor project?

• Vented, short as possible (no fan)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Vented, internal shaft fan

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Enclosed, short as possible (no fan)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Enclosed, external fan

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

roller

1 W
You can take part in determining the design of the "ES Custom" Transmagnetic BLDC motor -- I think this is a pretty rare opportunity for the ES community to reflect their needs directly back to the manufacturer (me). Depending on perceived interest from the community, and that I don't pull my hair out in the process, TM motors may be willing to make a low-volume run of consumer/retail motors to equip the ES community. The magnetic structure will be based on this diameter motor: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=44058 There will be a limited number of variables for which I will seek input from ES, to incorporate in the design (shaft, kv . . . . but most importantly, this one):

Assuming you must still accommodate for the differences (size, weight, cooling, complexity, hackability, etc), comparing motors of similar price and equivalent peak power you would more likely use : V, V+fan, E, E+fan

Vented (no fan) = short, probably the cheapest option (not significantly), but what's the point? put a fan in it for an extra inch.
Vented, shaft fan = highest continuous power option, longer (1" more than VnF)
Enclosed = external fins (bigger diameter), shortest -- could be potted or oil-cooled
Enclosed +ext fan = rear shaft, maybe shroud, if potted, comparable performance to V+fan, but heavier, larger dia

Persuasive arguments for your design of choice are welcome; because, as in the Scottish highlands, "There can be only one".

Is it safe to assume that the ventilated will take on more power due to heat handling?

TransMagnetic motors are pretty incredible. Thanks for offering us this opportunity, Roller!

I voted for 'Vented, internal shaft fan'.

Now ..if 'Enclosed, oil filled, external fan' was one of the options.. :twisted:

A small wish list:

• You want vented to remove moisture. The holes – need at least one on each side – should be at the periphery of the cover to allow for weeping.
  • The stator should be varnished to prevent rust.
  • The phase wires should be upgraded to handle power; 12 AWG at a minimum.
  • I dislike that the phase wires travel through the length of the axle because it can lead to premature wear and breaks; Crystalite in my mind got this part right.
  • The motors should support disc brake by design – AND should easily accommodate mounting of European and American brake equipment without modification.
  • Label the wires coming out of the motor so we know which one is A, B, & C.
  • Use quality oversized precision bearings (or at least allow us to select that as an option) to improve freewheel.
  • Should be able to handle 2kW all day long at STP. Additional ribbing (vanes) parallel to where the spokes mount is useful; some motorcycle motors are like this and serves to remove heat quite effectively without need for internal cooling or fans.
  • Upgrade the magnets a notch to improve efficiency, or at least – give us the choice.
My ½ watt, KF :)

KF - thanks for the wishlist . . . if you can provide one for a "non" hub motor, as is being polled, that'd be groovy.

Knevil - Thanks man! whatever we come up with here, should fit better than an Etek in a pocket frame. Hey, I got into electrics to get away from oil.

cal3 - for this thought experiment, peak powers are equivalent; but yes, continuous running will be highest for Vent + fan. An identical enclosed motor (same speed, inductance, yaddah, yaddah) will achieve 70% continuous output of its vented equivalent. (restated, the V+f will have about 40% higher continuous running power than enclosed -- provided no special cooling measure are taken with the enclosed version)

various cooling efforts will bring an enclosed motor closer to parity with ventilated (potting, oil, external fan+shroud, etc); all will add weight or complexity.

I like sealed motors to keep out mud. Shoving it through a ventilated motor isn't fun.

For general mayhem a venting and fanning is best :mrgreen:

I should mention, these are strictly BLDC motors.

They've run vented in thousands of lawnmowers, garden tools, rototillers, and similar heavy dirt/moisture ingress environments. Environmental contamination is a valid consideration for a vehicle app, but I think it is often overstated for a BLDC motor (NOT for a brushed motor -- the springs+comm surface get trashed pretty easily).

For real off-road nastiness, enclosed is likely the way to go . . . But I think we're looking in the 3kW max category for this motor design . . . real off-road stuff often needs more kW; I imagine these as mostly on-road sub 50mph, sub-freeway light vehicles.

Back