Would a vendor/product rating system for things related to t

Would a vendor/product rating system for things related to this forum be useful?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

bowlofsalad

100 kW
Hello,

Perhaps this issue isn't as big of a deal to experienced individuals, or those already in the know, but to a newbie like myself, and I am sure even a fairly experienced individual, the number of options are staggering.

Websites like newegg and amazon have pretty good rating systems. For the most part, many of the reviews are relevant, informative and insightful. How the system is implemented, where (thinking the es wiki), and the pros and cons to this rating system are something that needs to be considered. But the truth is, right now it's a random sea of chaos. The closest thing I've come to any sort of collaboration is a couple of threads on vendors to avoid and gravitate towards, many of the posts there aren't very complete.

Right now, all I've got is a small excel sheet with various vendors I've heard good things about, charting various pieces of information so I can guage the cost. Then, it's basically 'do I feel lucky', maybe these guys are good, maybe these guys are too cheap. There are a small number of fairly frequently mentioned vendors and products, I don't mean any offence to any vendors, I'd enjoy a rating system though, and right now it is wholly lacking. This is my suggestion to initiate a vender/product. It would probably require some moderating like any other forum, but I think it'd be very much worth it.

I considered just starting up a website or a blog with various reviews/ratings for things, but I think it would have far more credibility if it was lead and moderated (nobody wants bogus reviews) or at least involved at few well known ES members. I can imagine dogman or ypedal writing a few serious articles/reviews. What do you think? A centralized rating system with various points, charts and listings would help me tremendously, I know it would be of use to all.

You could make a wiki page that lists categories of reviews, then links to threads here on ES and elsewhere for the actual reviews, and shows ratings for each review link. Any ES member could edit to add or fix things.

amberwolf said:
You could make a wiki page that lists categories of reviews, then links to threads here on ES and elsewhere for the actual reviews, and shows ratings for each review link. Any ES member could edit to add or fix things.

Hmm,

I think I understand what you mean.

If you can write the webcoding to do it (or get someone else to), it's possible that Justin could get it hosted on the ES server. But I don't think any of the people currently working on previously-needed ES fixes and stuff even have time to do that, much less write up a reviewing page coding. :(

Back