Battery in your pannier? A Poll.

Would you use a battery if it were in a pannier?

• Yes if it was packaged very well with hard crush protection

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Yes if it was packaged very well with semi-hard crush protection

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No even if it was packaged very well with hard crush protection

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No even if it was packaged very well with semi-hard crush protection

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HAROX

1 kW
Preface: I ride a 2bit motor with a 2bit battery.
2bits 4bits 6bits a dollar, all 4 power stand up an' holler!
Fifth morph: less is better.
Whether I prefer one enclosure over the other, my battery could be packed within seconds...or "jacked and hacked"... :D

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2009/02/super-packing-gel-puts-bubble-wrap-to-shame/.

O.K. REPURPOSING ideas, maybe good...What, if , then what? :roll:
A battery "fits" in a box.. and make it more substantial than this, folks! PLease do NOT take my word for anything.
ONE coffee box, designed to be carried or 'biked away' from the store, in a pannier. Please say inapannier three timesreallyfast. this is about pannier things which could help house a battery.
Somebody said "remember to fit it on a bike rack!" at CigarBux. (John would call this part low hanging fruit.
dingleberries, perhaps, but
What's the solution to a pervasive battery packaging problem? #1 solving the abstract is the solution.
It must be able to (safely) carry the source power to the machinery, remain intact, and supply portable power to the machine, which will use such. That is all. Believe it , that's a lot to ask from any enclosure, still...

#2 Make it interchangeable and versatile in the same enclosure(s) if possible, try to use the cardboard box to an advantage? Try to use wood pulp?
Please just say "it will work" for the sake of the premise here. Three boxes or six? DDK needs three or four. Long haulers could use twelve on a trailer, a case or two perhaps?
Also I would point out that the "pattern for the coffee box" is a lot more useful. The pattern is here, extant.

Please recall, I'm using the 2bit motor and the 2bit battery, all i would ever carry may be lunch, or ...? and everyone's rig has different demands.
View attachment 2CIMG1034.JPG
CIMG1035.JPG

Your thoughts?

I voted for a battery in the pannier space, though I'd probably strap it to a back rack if push came to shove. Hardshell shrouds aren't always necessary, are they?
Cardboard is everywhere, people are even making bicycles from the stuff. We ain't getting any younger now, and our resources are ending up in the trash heaps.

Thanks friendly1uk for contributing here...
harox
ahah! After all the building, the package leaves us befuddled...
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26383&start=550
I guess it's one of those universal problems after all, which makes a strong rack an asset.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38683
And thank you deeply Kingfish for the megarange beast you designed!
Thanks amberwolf. I agree with your take about hard shells and most every other subject.
Thanks biohazardman for the bump-splat drag testing.
Thanks zzoing. Bread basket, eh?

Hey folks. Have some fun. Look at the little video and dream of the future.
http://www.slipperybrick.com/2009/02/super-packing-gel-puts-bubble-wrap-to-shame/
Really. It's a big planet, and I'm talking to more than the board, about card-board.
I'm not from hell. I only think it is around 5pm.

I have one of these on the way. I thought it worth looking at.
BO1_(8).jpg=600

Sits on the top bar with the visible strap round the front post. Each compartment measures around 150x50x100 and it comes in grey.

Hard case 4s 5Ah 20-30c hk lipo's are 139x45x43 525g

A few 'support' cable ties through some hidden (eyelet) holes to carry the real weight of the batterys, and that phone holder could hold a boxed bms.

2x2 section is 50.8mm in real money. A wall thickness of 1.6mm is common in aluminium. Leave's 47.6x47.6

I feel this area gets some protection from the handlebars. The hardcase packs must expect a few knocks, and they did make it through the post. I don't intend to encase them. I'm just giving the option.

I thought it might be a nice 44v 5Ah pack using a 4s and 2s in each side. Considerably under 2kg complete. I'm thinking I might even get a controller in there. Or that a custom bag may follow.

Edit: Just found another link. Much better pics. Dimensions listed as 170x50x125.
Also realised this won't sit on my cables. My project just shifted somewhat. It was £2.57 delivered so all is not lost
Edit again: The link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Cycling-Frame-Pannier-Bicycle-Front-Tube-bag-Bike-Rack-Pouch-GRAY-A0083-/310645399204?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item4853e89ea4

BatteryPackaging.jpg

This image was taken about July 2011. From Left to Right:
  1. I crafted a soft package to hold 15S5P assembly (Qty-2) for the trailer; these were housed inside a Sears Toolbox which was firmly mounted to the custom-built trailer.
  2. In the middle is the lightweight aluminum shield built to hold a 15S3P assembly (Qty-2) that was placed inside the Pannier.
  3. Finally, there is the 15S2P assembly (Qty-2) that was placed inside a TIMBUK2 handlebar bag modified into a saddlebag.

For #2, the aluminum shield was padded by high-density closed-cell foam.

Battery_OrtliebBag0.jpg

In the view above, the top shield is 1/16th inch thick black Lexan or ABS; can't remember now, though it is flexible and lightweight, and designed as an impact shield should my bike ever take a dump. The bottom shield is more stout, being made from aluminum sheet, with Balsa risers to protect against the pannier fasteners.

Battery_OrtliebBag1.jpg

After loading, I stuffed socks and clothes in and around the batteries for additional padding.

CargoStrapsOrtlieb.jpg

After one test ride it was obvious that the panniers required additional effort to secure them to the bike frame. The cargo straps worked really well, but it made convenient access to the bags problematic. This image was taken about midway through my 1st (2010) California trip. Having 36 batteries over the rear tire led to problems farther down the road - breaking five spokes on the last day. For the 2011 trip, I reduced the count to 24 which greatly reduced the full-suspension frame wobble.

In the future, if I'm pulling a trailer then I'll move even more out of the count and find another more integrated way to secure the panniers to the frame: The issue for me is not security or damage, but weight and convenience. It is a PITA to fetch stuff out of either trailer or pannier, plus the weight right there in that spot introduces a dangerous handling problem that hardtails would never experience.

To conclude, panniers are the perfect spot for easy access to food and drink; items that don't weight too much. Items like my jacket and fleece were stowed at the trailer without having to remove the entire cover. For battery use - a modest quantity is fine, although I would encourage spreading the load around.

Additional info on the **POST YOUR PACK** and Pusher-Trailer: A Bicycle-Frame Solution threads.

Safe travels, KF

I already use batteries in panniers, but mine are hard metal boxes, rather than soft bags, and so already have hard crush protection.

However, if I were to use soft bags (whcih are planned for one iteration of my cargo bike), and the batteries had to go in there for range extenders, I would still use steel ammocans (or similar) to contain the batteries both for crush protection and for protecting everything else from the batteries themselves, as much as possible.

Had my battery pack come off the bike twice on big bumps and I drug it down the road by the wires till the connectors let go. Just panniers with 3/16th ABS sheet inside bent around the batts for protection. No damage to the batts and the wires even held up. I tied them down tight near the axle to prevent them from jumping off again.

[

Pannier means basket, it refers to the metal / woven baskets on front or back of bikes.

here we have pictures of sacoche which are less safe to batteries than panniers. pannier is a hard casing in itself. i had stuff running in it with abit of wood underneath and some 1 inch stiff foam all around it.

bike bags is not panner :)

Newer stealthy builds could include pannier full of baguette shaped LiPO. Nice additions afterwards would be some Genoa salami...some sliced pickles, and of course, dark beer. Just remember, don't eat the bread :wink:

zzoing said:
Pannier means basket, it refers to the metal / woven baskets on front or back of bikes.

here we have pictures of sacoche which are less safe to batteries than panniers. pannier is a hard casing in itself. i had stuff running in it with abit of wood underneath and some 1 inch stiff foam all around it.

bike bags is not panner :)

We are showing panniers and your calling them satchels, which is a description applied to saddle bags, not bags that straddle.

You appear to be french studying english.

CIMG1041.JPGFriendly1 good morning. Here's a bar bag I saw at the LBS, with left and right access, maybe a bit too skinny. "Real estate" on a bike is like...$1500 a sq foot.

Morning Harox.
That looks like it would fit around my brake cables nicely. Big enough for bms and controller too. Perhaps even my charger :)

I would still buy the hard case 4s lipo's and pop them in an alloy square section for protection, but that is a tidy way of attaching it all to the bike.

Nice one

The little red top bar pannier arrived. It is 140mm external not internal, so a 4s hardpack will not fit. Despite the dimensions suggesting they would.
However, these do come in other sizes. The 170mm long one would surely hold four hardcase's. I'm not sure if I will keep kneeing it though. I have never rode my bike.

At the price, I'm still happy with it. The piping is spot on, and the main pockets have a second skin of mesh, making another slim pocket. You could cut out some material from the main compartment, allowing it to breathe. The decorative stripe is reflective. Plenty of straps. Great phone holder. Just not the most aerodynamic of locations.

Back