Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ypedal

Staff member
Well.. ES is growing..

And by the looks of it, the current operators could use a hand.

What i offer, not much moderation at all.. but given the special buttons i promise to use them wisely.

I work 8 hrs a day in an office ( tech support ) and have internet access during my work day.. as most know.. i'm very often on here.

Let the users decide. 8)

I was just wondering about where to post a 'thanx for doing doing a great job' for the mod squad, so I guess I'll do it here.
It's always easier to complain so I wanted to make the deliberate effort to counter some of those complaints & publicly acknowledge that I think the level of moderation is spot on & that they have been incredibly responsive, at least the couple of times I've sought them out.
I like that it's never directed at any particular individual (save for one exception), that the hammer comes down based on the level of heat within the discussion overall.
And it's preferable that the choke chain is a wee bit on the loose side rather than too tight, tho obviously there are those that disagree.
Being the ref is a thankless task so I wonder why you would want to?
I voted maybe, only in the event that they really need the help but would prefer fewer people in the mix so that it's easier to determine where is the line in the sand that it remain somewhat consistent.

^^^Ditto.^^^

Mike and Fechter have managed to throw out the bathwater and keep the baby. :wink:

I find it's more fun to be in the game, than to be the ref.

:twisted:

I gonna vote "Maybe", since the mods seem to be doing a pretty good job on their own. But if they feel like they need help, then by all means, appoint some new authoritay. :wink:

I voted 'maybe'. While I don't have time to read every single post on the forum, my PM box is always open should anyone feel that a post needs some attention.

I was a moderator for a paragliding forum for awhile.. well.. the paragliding forum. 10,000+ active members. I can tell you that it was a thankless, difficult task and consumed several hours a day. Seems like here though there are only a handful of unruly customers and really not that many daily posts so it probably wouldn't be to much of a PITA at his point. Beware when gas doubles again though! Muhahaha! I voted yes! :p :twisted:

Just got this PM, user ID deleted to protect the stupid. Are you sure you want to be a mod? :lol:

"HEY LOWLIFE, I KNOW YOU OPENED THIS POST ON ME... IS THAT WHAT SOMEONE OF YOUR AGE DOES, CREATES WAR? NOW I KNOW WHOSE RUNNING THIS. BETTER FIX YOUR INSTAGATIONS INSTAGATOR OR I WILL SIMPLY DO THE SAME ONTO YOU, MAKING IMMATURE FORUMS ABOUT YOU. ERRASE THIS POST STOP WASTING PEOPLES TIME, ITS WASTED ENOUGH."

Lowell said:
Just got this PM, user ID deleted to protect the stupid.

:lol: Yeah... wait 'til you start getting death threats. *sigh* Some people simply have nothing else going on in their lives unfortunately. :?

Not a moderator anymore so can't access the old phpbb and was being mildly facetious, but it was basically very detailed threats if I locked or moved or deleted a troublemakers threads over and over because they didn't get the message. They were usually trying to sell something. :wink:

You'd look great as a Mod Ypedal, got your Lambretta ready?

I voted "maybe"...mainly because i'm not sure it should be the users who choose the Mods!

Attachments

• MODS-2.jpg
    MODS-2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3,963
Yes Ypedal, I wish you would become a mod, but just be careful to realise that you might have to do most of the heavy lifting from what I have seen. Maybe, you would mess up something that you really enjoy, visiting these forums, by becoming part of the staff.

The fact that you are considering this is evidence enough, as I can tell you would rather not fool with it. But, at the same time, how long can you watch what goes on around here and not wish that someone would do something? Do you want this to be you? Is it really your responsibility? Maybe not. Maybe it is the responsibility of the guy that made this forum, and maybe this is what he wants. No control. I can't stand it myself, but it aint my forum.

I am just afraid that you will be performing most of the disciplinary actions that need to be taken care of. I would hope that you get some support is all. But don't hold your breath.

Probably the first thing that needs to be done is set some ground rules for proper behavior for those that wish to contribute to these forums. Right now, it seems like pretty much anything goes. Unfortunately, this is still the best forum out there for the ebike enthusiast, or I am sure there would be an exodus out of here for some place with a bit of administration, just to keep threads on topic and to stop the constant and invariable flaming that results fom the present "hands off" approach. (Aside from locking threads)

With all the talent here and the resident experts. Endless-Sphere could become a major website. But sadly, it cannot happen with the present atmosphere and rampant trashing of threads.

Yes, you should be a moderator. I'm too busy to read everything these days and so is Knighmb.
I am working on a set of "rules" that will hopefully make dealing with the flamers easier. I don't feel it's right to take action against someone unless they have broken the stated rules. Right now the rule set is pretty thin.

I also don't like to censor what people post (unless it's spam).

Somebody want to draft a set of new rules? I was thinking something along the lines of anyone getting 3 reports on a post earning a one week ban for the first offense, with increasing ban lengths for repeat offenses. Just an idea. No personal attacks is another good rule. If nobody reports a post, then I assume nobody has an issue with it. Anyone can report a post in the present setup.

In fact, we could use more moderators. For example, I'm on vacation right now and don't get much time to read the forum via super slow room connection.

I don't think there are any prerequisites other than to not be a jerk. Some common sense and a cool temper are handy too. It also requires that you check the posts on a regular basis.

You'd have to learn how to work the controls and what you have control over. If I can do it, anyone can. Knightmb runs the software, so he knows everything about it. I just ask him if I can't figure it out.

The primary responsiblilty is to protect against spammers. Spam is pretty easy to spot. Spammers get banned immediately and posts moved to the Spam forum for technical analysis or deleted. Once knightmb looks at them to see where they are coming from, he deletes them or they just expire down there.

Second responsibility is to recategorize posts if they are in the wrong section. You can move a topic without distrubing it otherwise. This would be primarily aimed at people selling things or commercial interests (advertisements) showing up in a different category when the belong in the buy/sell area.

Third responsibility would be to try to manage idiot members. This is not so easy, and I do not want to get into any heavy-handed censorship or deleting. We need a clear set of rules, with consequences clearly stated, and then enforced. Right now the rules are pretty loose. You can't break a rule if there are none. Any changes in this area would need to be approved by knightmb and myself. I'm not sure what his thoughts are at this stage, but a well designed set of rules that does not sound too opressive may be a good idea at this point.

Anyone else intersted in moderating should pm me.

Absolutely. Can't think of anyone better for the job. How much does it pay?

Edit: Got my timing wrong there, I meant that I think Ypedal should definitely be a moderator, not that I want the job :oops:

Great idea, thanks for the offer 8)

As far as you keep Don Harmon's PR here.
So i've just voted NO.
DH would be better candidate for that position since he is so keen on this forum.

Malcolm said:
Absolutely. Can't think of anyone better for the job. How much does it pay?

Edit: Got my timing wrong there, I meant that I think Ypedal should definitely be a moderator, not that I want the job :oops:

Lol, Malc runs for the hills :shock:

fechter said:
Yes, you should be a moderator. I'm too busy to read everything these days and so is Knighmb.
I am working on a set of "rules" that will hopefully make dealing with the flamers easier. I don't feel it's right to take action against someone unless they have broken the stated rules. Right now the rule set is pretty thin.

I also don't like to censor what people post (unless it's spam).

Somebody want to draft a set of new rules? I was thinking something along the lines of anyone getting 3 reports on a post earning a one week ban for the first offense, with increasing ban lengths for repeat offenses. Just an idea. No personal attacks is another good rule. If nobody reports a post, then I assume nobody has an issue with it. Anyone can report a post in the present setup.

I agree, the first thing that needs to be done around here is create a policy for all the members. Right now, the Endless-Sphere is suffering from "growing pains" and it is suffering badly.

You don't need to re-invent the wheel. Every large forum has rules and you can adopt a set you kind of like and then tweak it to your satisfaction.

Once you have a policy, you will get all the mods you want, because they will then know how the forum is supposed to run and they know if they want to support the policies.

Putting out a public request for mods at this point, is frankly, putting the cart before the horse and you are just throwing gas on the fire. You should hold off. It would be VERY HARD to mod the forums here at this point, without getting your ass kicked in the PM department.

Having said that, you could recruit folks to help you create policy in a special Staff sub forum (invisible to the members). The group can be made up of key members and it can even be a temporary position, that is dissolved after the job is done and they go back to being regular members if they wish. Once everything is hammered out, some could become mods if they wished.

Once you do make a policy, then you must support the policy 100% of the time. You may decide to create a sub-forum that only the staff can see, that is an area to move threads that are "questionable" until you all can decide what to do. You can call it the "Doubtful Threads Forum". That way, you can discuss what action to take if any and it's a good place to work things out for the staff.

Finally, another suggestion. You say you are busy - and this is a problem for anyone trying to mod foums. Select mods that fit the section. Maybe someone is very good at Battery Technology- make them the mod there. they will be in there anyway as this is what they like. Some others are more social, put them in the General Discussion area, etc. Also, folks can report a bad post to that mod as ii is their section. It's great to have an "expert" to overssee a technical sub-section. It is not critical- it's just nice.

Each mod can be named for their section of responsibility and can even be listed as such on the forum section. This is much more efficient, as they only have to keep an eye on their section and not read every thread. The same person can mod over just one-or several sections whatever you want. Or, sometimes, in a busy section, you can have more than one mod. This is especially handy for international forums, as you wil need around the clock supervision to stop crap before it gets out of hand.

After the rules are in place, and everyone understands that they must abide by them, suddenly, the "problems" dwindle way down. In addition, you don't have to feel bad for supporting the policy, as you are wrapped in it. The only awkward thing is creating one and grandfathering folks in. Some wont like it and they may leave, but all new members will have to agree to the policy upon registration, so even that bump in the road soon goes away.

In the end, the forum is better off for it as people will have to treat one another with respect, and those that do not can be purged from the system, knowing from the get go - this is their own doing.

The forum becomes more useful, as you are not wading through 50% flame wars and repetitive confrontational comments, grandstanding etc, to get to the valuable information. You, as a member, can suddenly use the notification tool to see the latest on what is happening in a thread you are interested in without being disappointed by reading childish remarks instead.

BTW, you can also use a redirect in the admin panel when you move a thread so folks don't have to wonder what the heck happened to a thread they are reading, when it goes from Battery technology to the Selling area after a week of flames. I thought the darn thing was deleted for a while, until I found it again.

New here and came to find relevant information on what is available right now for e-bike/e-motorcycle battery technology ? From what I have observed, there are many battery offers being put here and no real consistent rules apply. Some get attacked immediately for reasons I don't fully comprehend and really have no interest in reading a lot of hissy fits. Some seem to just stay in the Battery Section, which is where at least a newbie like me would think to look, and others are "locked". I don't know who is running the show here and I hope they can look at things with a view of someone who comes here to find out what new technology is out there, what test reports members can offer, and where someone can go to purchase a particular product ? Is that too much to ask or maybe you can direct me to a place that offers this clear and simple without all the "noise" ?

TS

hornsailor said:
New here and came to find relevant information on what is available right now for e-bike/e-motorcycle battery technology ? From what I have observed, there are many battery offers being put here and no real consistent rules apply. Some get attacked immediately for reasons I don't fully comprehend and really have no interest in reading a lot of hissy fits. Some seem to just stay in the Battery Section, which is where at least a newbie like me would think to look, and others are "locked". I don't know who is running the show here and I hope they can look at things with a view of someone who comes here to find out what new technology is out there, what test reports members can offer, and where someone can go to purchase a particular product ? Is that too much to ask or maybe you can direct me to a place that offers this clear and simple without all the "noise" ?

TS
I suggest the forums at VisforVoltage.org

hornsailor said:
New here and came to find relevant information on what is available right now for e-bike/e-motorcycle battery technology ? . . . Is that too much to ask or maybe you can direct me to a place that offers this clear and simple without all the "noise" ?

Use the search function and the kill-filters to find pure gold.

Ever been to Usenet?
It's the first and last electronic outpost of free speech where you learn that those who say the most don't necessarily have the most to say.

Back