New England e-Biker meetup (née Boston e-Biker meetup)

If we have a meet-up, what's the best time? *** [b]Multiple answers allowed/encouraged! [/b]***

• Friday mid afternoon

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Friday early evening

• Saturday late morning

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Saturday mid afternoon

• Saturday early evening

• Sunday late morning

• Sunday mid afternoon

• Sunday early evening

• Some other weekday, mid afternoon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some other weekday, early evening

• Friday evening... Before and as part of Critical MASS

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Do it in JUNE

• Why not July?

• I prefer August!

• September - when the kids are back in school...

• Total voters

MattyCiii

100 kW
Calling all New England area e-bikers!
Suppose we had a meetup. What's best? Weekday? Day/evening? Any specific day of the week? Well, take the poll and let your voice be heard! I'll channel the voice of the forum and set something up. Oh and keep your eyes out for another poll about where we should meet up...

In the comments say whatever you like. Want to do a ride (of course!) Want to start out somewhere for meet & greet - maybe a place with food & cold drinks? Throw out ideas!

July, because BBQ tastes better then.

I can meet anytime on Friday. Wheather or not I will be able to make it is another thing to worry about :p

Of course as I watch this I'm following Justin's cargo bike trip (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49583) and Maker Faire meetup (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48578) - aren't we all?

Perhaps that's the thing - to arrange an e-bike meetup at a Maker Faire or similar event. According to this (http://makerfaire.com/map/), there are several Maker Faire's (from mini to world class) in the northeast US in the next several months.
* Somerville, MA, October 5 2013: http://www.makerfairesomerville.com/
* Providence, RI, August 10 2013: http://makerfaireri.com/
* NYC, September 21 & 22, 2013: http://makerfaire.com/

What do you think?

The one on August 10 sounds good to me. I may or may not be able to bring the bike up though. But we will see what can be pulled together. Nobody else is interested?

Awesome! Thanks for the setup. You should do a poll on where as well. I'd vote for somewhere in the Emerald Necklace near the Backbay station, as I'll be coming from Worcester. Also other things. I'd go for potluck food thing, with brew included. A Sunday afternoon outdoor in the park picnic gathering of ebikes and people. What could be better? Count me in! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Not a lot of responses :(
But that's no reason to quit. Maybe it's better to cast the net wider, change the scope from "Boston Meetup", skipping right past "Massachusetts Meetup" and arrive at "New England Meetup". Where people from anywhere are welcome of course (c'mon on down from Bergen County, Trackman!).

With a change in scope, maybe a good venue would be the annual Eastern States Expo, "The Big E" (September 13-29, 2013).

For purely selfish reasons, I'd rather meet-up in Boston (bike able), or Providence or Worcester (both accessible by bus or train). But I still drive, and can fit at least two bikes in my van, so if it means more participation I'd be willing to meet somewhere more central...

It's a nice train ride to providence, and I have never been to a maker fair. My friend tells me that if you take the bike car on the train it's nice because its usually empty and can have the whole thing to yourself.

Just got my six bricks of 6s and have a couple days off, maybe I can finally get something rolling.

gestalt said:
It's a nice train ride to providence, and I have never been to a maker fair. My friend tells me that if you take the bike car on the train it's nice because its usually empty and can have the whole thing to yourself.

Just got my six bricks of 6s and have a couple days off, maybe I can finally get something rolling.

Maker Faire in PVD might be a go then... Besides, there's no reason not to have more than one meet up :D

I've been taking one e-bike or the other to local (Boston) events... like the Boston Bike Party last week. There had to be about 500 cyclists there (this picture does not do the crowd justice - I'll try to get a better one).
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-06-02%2520at%25201.28.53%2520PM.jpg

arkmundi said:
I just want to chill somewhere local with other ebikers and not have to go much distance. I like having an excuse to go to Boston, so the original plan works best for me. I say set a date, time & meetup location. Then post it on various lists & sites & facebook to catch some interest. If its 2 or 200, its OK by me! :mrgreen:

Sounds like a plan. I commute into Boston every weekday by e-bike and there are plenty of activities like the Bike Party listed above. I'll let you know here and via PM next time something cool is happening - if nothing else Critical Mass is fun (last Friday of the month). Better yet, when Gestalt gets his electrons all lined up he can toss out a time and place for an inaugural run mini meetup.

I don't get to Wormtown often but when I do I usually bring an e-bike, and I always go to Smokestack. Next time I'm heading that way I'll drop you a note.

I'm officially riding the lightning now, and down for whatevah. Next Friday is a critical mass, and working on Friday is agains my religion.

Would be down to get out of the city, but not too far. I only have about a twenty mile range on my pack.

gestalt said:
I'm officially riding the lightning now, and down for whatevah. Next Friday is a critical mass, and working on Friday is agains my religion.

Would be down to get out of the city, but not too far. I only have about a twenty mile range on my pack.
60/40 I'll be there. I have a sound system for the bike, I'll be playing Franz Ferdinand at Copley Square... The forecast is for rain, so I'll be riding the F3 folding bike for the fenders...

magical mystery ride

Starts at the basketball court (aka the bike polo court) on the south side of the Harvard stadium in lower allston at 8pm.

https://m.facebook.com/events/579763782046617/

BIKES! MUSIC! PARTY!

we'll gather at 8pm in Allston at the Smith Field and head to parts unknown.

Three plus stops, a bunch of musical acts.
Roughly 10 miles of riding, mostly on paths.

We guarantee you'll discover some hidden gems on this ride.

Starring:
* unannounced americana folkies
* jazz combo throwntogether
* rock n' roll olde school shhhhhh
* top secret DJ's
* hidden after party happy ending celebrate!

who knows, we may just blow your mind

Sorry for the uber late notice, hope to see another ebike there representing

Did the Meetup ever happen? is it still maybe going to happen?? any update appreciated!

My original intent with this thread was to try to get a bunch of us together at once. But things have been so hectic this summer...

Hopefully this thread will live on as a place for locals to post events of any size they'll be attending (like Gestalt's Magical Mystery Ride.

For planning purposes, I usually go to the Boston Bike Party, second Tuesday of the month (such as tonight... unless they do a rain delay. Though I won't be there tonight, I'm presently in California). I'll go to Boston Critical Mass if I know other e-bikers will be there. And I'll do my best to get to any other bike or e-bike events in the surrounding area, given enough notice (e.g., the Mill City Night Ride, Monday nights in Lowell, is sponsored by a veteran ES member MrBoots. I have not gone yet, but hope to soon...)

So, hopefully all New England e-bikers will post events here and we can all try to get to the local events. Arkmundi, I can't go too long without eating at Smokehouse, next time I plan to get to Wromtown I'll drop you a PM.

MattyCiii said:
Arkmundi, I can't go too long without eating at Smokehouse, next time I plan to get to Wormtown I'll drop you a PM.
Open invite to any ES'er local or not to take a pass here. Though I believe we're better known now as TurtleTown, for our now famous City Square statue with the boy doing unspeakable things to a turtle...
images

I work in Worcester, live 12miles west of it. Id ride locally on the weekends, I could do a boston ride...but who wants to go into a city to ride an E-bike..

http://www.aashe.org/campus-sustainability-day
assheOct23.png
I've been invited by Worcester Statue University for their 2-day campus sustainability event, to put on display my ebike. This would be a good opportunity for any here in Massachusetts to gather around doing something both fun and useful.
WSU said:
We're still in the planning stages, but it'll be a 2-day event to coincide with national Campus Sustainability Day (10/23/13) and national Food Day (10/24/13) -- Weds/Thurs. We're envisioning an outdoor transport display adjacent to a food tent & farmer's market. We don't have confirmed attendees yet, but we're thinking ZipCar, a biodiesel trailer, some kind of bikeshare program, and -- if you or someone else is willing -- ebike.
I've already committed, so they'll have a table for me to display and handout literature. But if anyone wants to show up, for the whole or any part, please do!

Notes
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38911&p=781826#p781826

Looks pretty awesome. Hope I can make it, but it's in the middle of the work day for me so prognosis is not good :(

I'm going to the next Boston Bike Party, this Thursday 22 August, 7:30 pm meet up at Dewey Square Boston (right across from South Station). The ride kicks off at 8:00. It's a slow ride, ends at 10:00 to 10-30 in my experience, but folks can (and do) drop from the ride at any point.

Unless I have a mechanical casualty, I'll be riding my folding bike so I can bring along a sound system. If I have a late breaking casualty I'll be on the green A-Line. Hope to see some E-S folks there!

Another Boston Bike Party, tomorrow night at Dewey Square right across from South Station. Gather at 7:30, ride at 8:00.

I'm going, bringing the A-Line and the sound system.

Back