e-bike, ebike, or e bike ? Which one do you use ?

johnjapan

100 W
I know this might sound like a stupid ridiculous question but Which one do you use ?
e-bike, ebike, or e bike ?

Is there any official consensus on this?

Some use email others might use e-mail I use email.
I ask this because I am making a webpage for my ebike store in Japan and I get confused on whether which one should be used in a professional environment.

ebike. Although sometimes I use Ebike and EBike. But never e-bike.

The definition of a Hyphen states that it is used to create compound words. An example of correct usage: "Electric Bikes embody Moped-style functionality."

If we turn to Wikipedia, searching for "E-bike" or "Ebike" leads to a redirection to "Electric bicycle".

I do not entreat E-bike because history of a similar compound phrase, e-mail: Few people use e-mail today; we've adjusted our lingo to just say email because it is more concise, having one less letter to type.

Post-haste, KF

Kingfish said:
ebike. Although sometimes I use Ebike and EBike. But never e-bike.

The definition of a Hyphen states that it is used to create compound words. An example of correct usage: "Electric Bikes embody Moped-style functionality."

If we turn to Wikipedia, searching for "E-bike" or "Ebike" leads to a redirection to "Electric bicycle".

I do not entreat E-bike because history of a similar compound phrase, e-mail: Few people use e-mail today; we've adjusted our lingo to just say email because it is more concise, having one less letter to type.

Post-haste, KF

That helps thankyou!!!

I like the look of eBike but capitalization isn't particularly needed IMO.

Leave hyphens and spaces out of it.

I prefer electric bicycle(assuming it is an bicycle that has a setup that can reasonably be pedaled with and two wheels). Ebike and all the variants you mentioned have become so misused that the phrase now has an extremely vague meaning at best. To most, ebike could mean electric motorcycle, electric bicycle, electric moped, electric trike, nearly anything with wheels and an electric motor. In the spirit of clear communication, I prefer not to use shortened terms unless I define them shortly after using them. To illustrate, ebike(electric bicycle), cycle analyst version 3 (CAv3) and so on.

One area where this becomes a problem involves the categories of this forum and the vague relay of key information. Some guy has a question about his electric motorcycle, sees the ebike section and assumes that that is where he needs to go to post his question.

Call things what they are.

dvinewinetime-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world.jpg

"I don't always type Ebike,
but when I do, I prefer Dos Rueda Eléctrica"

It's ebike for me. Nice to see standardisation getting some thought. To search the net I have to try all the combinations to get all results. A real time waster, and so easy to miss things

Back