Has interest in ebikes increased decreased or stayed the same at your location compared to 10 years ago?

Interest in ebikes at your location compared to 10 years ago?

• increased

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • decreased

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • same

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Definitely see more of those Xiaomi scooters. But guess it's not an ebike

Interest, as in there's a store that specializes and I I see far more than before. 10 years ago I only expected to see my own, then an occasional Currie scooter. Now I expect to see a number every day.

Definite increase. I've been riding casually in the Springs for four years, and in the last year in particular it wasn't uncommon for someone to ask me "hey, is that an electric bike" two or three times a week, up from zero back in the day. And four years ago when I found my first bike on Craigslist, it was the first e-bike I'd seen there; now there are always two or three for sale at any given time.

Definite increase. I've been riding casually in the Springs for four years, and in the last year in particular it wasn't uncommon for someone to ask me "hey, is that an electric bike" two or three times a week, up from zero back in the day. And four years ago when I found my first bike on Craigslist, it was the first e-bike I'd seen there; now there are always two or three for sale at any given time.

docrocket said:
Definite increase. I've been riding casually in the Springs for four years,

Hot Springs? Warm Springs? Cold Springs? Colorado Springs? Palm Springs? Sulfur Springs? Sandy Springs? Dripping Springs? Willow Springs? Abita Springs? Eureka Springs? Coral Springs?

In my area (Austin, Texas), there has been a noticeable increase in e-bikes just over the past couple of years. They weren't exactly rare before, but they were sort of limited to e-bike types (quirky DIYers and lazy dumplings). Lately I have seen a lot more cyclist types on them.

docrocket said:
Colorado Springs, sorry.

Thanks! Lovely town. I have very favorable memories of Manitou Springs from, I dunno, 25 years ago?

In San Antonio i am running across many more ebikes when riding and especially on the bike paths. Some are DIYers and some are internet bikes but a few are the more expensive mainstream bikes.

Here in the ATL, I see at least one other ebike every other day that I haven't seen before. There are a few that I've come to recognize as fellow commuters which I don't count as 'new'. I think it helps that we have a really great ebike builder here in town (Edison), but I've also seen some more exotic ebikes like the Van Moof ebike. There are also a couple shops that are selling basically rebranded bikes that you can pick up off of alibaba. I see a variety of their bikes crusing around town on a regular basis.

Related: in the past 2 years, ebikes at the company I work for went from one (just me) to about 5 or 6. So they are definitely increasing here.

spinningmagnets said:
I'm in Kansas. Other than me, I have seen roughly...three other ebikes in the entire time I've lived here.

WOW! and you bike a lot so you'd know and you'd see.
I am wondering why that is, economics, geographical, transit, cultural.
Who knows, guessing game to begin with.

This is not a big bicycle state. If a guy is wearing lycra, they laugh at him, and if he is wearing jeans, they assume he has a DUI. I mean, who would ride a bicycle if you own a car, right?

Used to be that I might see one of two e-bikes a year in Tacoma WA area... within a 100 miles or so when I was riding a LOT. This year they are everywhere. It seems like maybe 30% of the bikes I see on the streets are sporting a Dolphin style battery pack. I'm up to 4 bikes converted to electric. Got a Gary Fisher mountain bike from the 90s with a BBSHD, took the BBS02 from that and put it on one of my Greenspeed GTO trikes, I've had small "500 watt 36 volt" hub motor on the other one and on a Rans Wave recumbent, both are being pushed by Lunacycle 52v 20Ah battery packs. Just put a 72volt 50Ah lithium pack from Ebay on a 2010 Zap Zapino... but that is an electric scooter, and has only gotten one road trip because the rear tire goes flat due to a stupid design bolt in valve stem. The reason the electric bikes stand out is the hills along my commute and seeing people riding up them with either no pedaling or no stress pedaling. Then I spot the battery packs.

While e-bikes are more popular than ever here, Jump dockless electric bikes outnumber owner-operated e-bikes by more than 10:1 in my neighborhood.

I hope it stimulates the market for personal e-bikes. But so far the mouth-breathers and dude brahs are disproportionately going for donut wheeled dockless scooters. That doesn't lead anywhere, unless it's the emergency room.

Chalo said:
But so far the mouth-breathers and dude brahs are disproportionately going for donut wheeled dockless scooters. That doesn't lead anywhere, unless it's the emergency room.

I know you hate the scooters, and I know that you are right to do so for all the reasons. But, they are really tempting, just the magic carpet aspect of standing there whisking along. I mean, kinda cool. But yeah, best I could hope for is a broken collar bone.

It occurs to me that 10 years ago I could start telling an old man with a 502 about the Currie kit to electrify his bike for the 25 mile bike/bus/bike/bus/bike trip to/from work and he'd be all ears. People didn't laugh at Currie scooters yet. They would take a serious look at the more Vespa like scooters with real fairings, e tc. Right now I'd say the thrill is gone in that regard. Even as there are a lot more all all around. I don't think people are just plain interested anymore. The thrill is gone.

Back