Has interest in ebikes increased decreased or stayed the same at your location compared to 10 years ago?

Get the forum community involved in polls and surveys.

Interest in ebikes at your location compared to 10 years ago?

increased
85%
decreased
9%
same
6%

Total votes: 34

Lessss   10 MW

10 MW

Has interest in ebikes increased decreased or stayed the same at your location compared to 10 years ago?

Post by Lessss » Jul 22 2018 4:27pm

Give me nuclear batteries I say!! Ripped off by Joshua Goldberg to the tune of almost $900 re headway groupbuy for batteries, no $ no batteries
------------
http://www.openoffice.org/ or https://www.libreoffice.org/
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

brone   1 mW

1 mW

Re: Has interest in ebikes increased decreased or stayed the same at your location compared to 10 years ago?

Post by brone » Jul 23 2018 11:03am

Definitely see more of those Xiaomi scooters. But guess it's not an ebike

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Has interest in ebikes increased decreased or stayed the same at your location compared to 10 years ago?

Post by Dauntless » Jul 23 2018 12:36pm

Interest, as in there's a store that specializes and I I see far more than before. 10 years ago I only expected to see my own, then an occasional Currie scooter. Now I expect to see a number every day.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

docrocket   100 mW

100 mW

Post by docrocket » Jul 23 2018 5:05pm

Definite increase. I've been riding casually in the Springs for four years, and in the last year in particular it wasn't uncommon for someone to ask me "hey, is that an electric bike" two or three times a week, up from zero back in the day. And four years ago when I found my first bike on Craigslist, it was the first e-bike I'd seen there; now there are always two or three for sale at any given time.

docrocket   100 mW

100 mW

Post by docrocket » Jul 23 2018 5:06pm

Definite increase. I've been riding casually in the Springs for four years, and in the last year in particular it wasn't uncommon for someone to ask me "hey, is that an electric bike" two or three times a week, up from zero back in the day. And four years ago when I found my first bike on Craigslist, it was the first e-bike I'd seen there; now there are always two or three for sale at any given time.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Jul 23 2018 8:44pm

docrocket wrote:
Jul 23 2018 5:06pm
Definite increase. I've been riding casually in the Springs for four years,
Hot Springs? Warm Springs? Cold Springs? Colorado Springs? Palm Springs? Sulfur Springs? Sandy Springs? Dripping Springs? Willow Springs? Abita Springs? Eureka Springs? Coral Springs?

In my area (Austin, Texas), there has been a noticeable increase in e-bikes just over the past couple of years. They weren't exactly rare before, but they were sort of limited to e-bike types (quirky DIYers and lazy dumplings). Lately I have seen a lot more cyclist types on them.
Last edited by Chalo on Jul 23 2018 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Jul 23 2018 8:50pm

docrocket wrote:
Jul 23 2018 8:47pm
Colorado Springs, sorry.
Thanks! Lovely town. I have very favorable memories of Manitou Springs from, I dunno, 25 years ago?
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

kozmoto   1 µW

1 µW

Post by kozmoto » Sep 02 2018 1:07pm

In San Antonio i am running across many more ebikes when riding and especially on the bike paths. Some are DIYers and some are internet bikes but a few are the more expensive mainstream bikes.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Sep 02 2018 1:44pm

I'm in Kansas. Other than me, I have seen roughly...three other ebikes in the entire time I've lived here.

zro-1   1 kW

1 kW

Post by zro-1 » Sep 02 2018 9:40pm

Here in the ATL, I see at least one other ebike every other day that I haven't seen before. There are a few that I've come to recognize as fellow commuters which I don't count as 'new'. I think it helps that we have a really great ebike builder here in town (Edison), but I've also seen some more exotic ebikes like the Van Moof ebike. There are also a couple shops that are selling basically rebranded bikes that you can pick up off of alibaba. I see a variety of their bikes crusing around town on a regular basis.

Related: in the past 2 years, ebikes at the company I work for went from one (just me) to about 5 or 6. So they are definitely increasing here.
~01~

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Sep 02 2018 10:28pm

spinningmagnets wrote:
Sep 02 2018 1:44pm
I'm in Kansas. Other than me, I have seen roughly...three other ebikes in the entire time I've lived here.
WOW! and you bike a lot so you'd know and you'd see.
I am wondering why that is, economics, geographical, transit, cultural.
Who knows, guessing game to begin with.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Sep 02 2018 11:56pm

This is not a big bicycle state. If a guy is wearing lycra, they laugh at him, and if he is wearing jeans, they assume he has a DUI. I mean, who would ride a bicycle if you own a car, right?

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Sep 03 2018 9:19pm

Amusing question... Hehe... if you follow the news...:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57933

:wink:
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

redorblack   100 W

100 W

Post by redorblack » Sep 13 2018 10:14pm

Used to be that I might see one of two e-bikes a year in Tacoma WA area... within a 100 miles or so when I was riding a LOT. This year they are everywhere. It seems like maybe 30% of the bikes I see on the streets are sporting a Dolphin style battery pack. I'm up to 4 bikes converted to electric. Got a Gary Fisher mountain bike from the 90s with a BBSHD, took the BBS02 from that and put it on one of my Greenspeed GTO trikes, I've had small "500 watt 36 volt" hub motor on the other one and on a Rans Wave recumbent, both are being pushed by Lunacycle 52v 20Ah battery packs. Just put a 72volt 50Ah lithium pack from Ebay on a 2010 Zap Zapino... but that is an electric scooter, and has only gotten one road trip because the rear tire goes flat due to a stupid design bolt in valve stem. The reason the electric bikes stand out is the hills along my commute and seeing people riding up them with either no pedaling or no stress pedaling. Then I spot the battery packs.

Icewrench   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Icewrench » Sep 13 2018 11:07pm

Lots and lots of e bikes around here this past summer. Lots of rad brand bikes and a lot of cargo bikes as well.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Sep 14 2018 1:50am

While e-bikes are more popular than ever here, Jump dockless electric bikes outnumber owner-operated e-bikes by more than 10:1 in my neighborhood.

I hope it stimulates the market for personal e-bikes. But so far the mouth-breathers and dude brahs are disproportionately going for donut wheeled dockless scooters. That doesn't lead anywhere, unless it's the emergency room.

-dg   1 kW

1 kW

Post by -dg » Sep 16 2018 12:47am

Chalo wrote:
Sep 14 2018 1:50am
But so far the mouth-breathers and dude brahs are disproportionately going for donut wheeled dockless scooters. That doesn't lead anywhere, unless it's the emergency room.
I know you hate the scooters, and I know that you are right to do so for all the reasons. But, they are really tempting, just the magic carpet aspect of standing there whisking along. I mean, kinda cool. But yeah, best I could hope for is a broken collar bone.
If simplicity worked, the world would be overrun with insects.

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Sep 17 2018 2:00am

It occurs to me that 10 years ago I could start telling an old man with a 502 about the Currie kit to electrify his bike for the 25 mile bike/bus/bike/bus/bike trip to/from work and he'd be all ears. People didn't laugh at Currie scooters yet. They would take a serious look at the more Vespa like scooters with real fairings, e tc. Right now I'd say the thrill is gone in that regard. Even as there are a lot more all all around. I don't think people are just plain interested anymore. The thrill is gone.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke