When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Get the forum community involved in polls and surveys.

When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Windows 8/10/?
30%
ReactOS
No votes
Chrome
10%
Mac
3%
Unix
No votes
Linux
47%
BeOS
No votes
Amix
No votes
FreeDos
No votes
Other
10%

Total votes: 30

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by neptronix » Jan 12 2019 10:54pm

Oh yeah, a recent update to win10 broke networking and some other things.
Linux is starting to look better and better, lol.

Other OS marketshares are growing, but Windows still holds ~88% of marketshare. Amazing what people will put up with.

Running a combo of linux and Win 7 over here still.
My first major build: 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w on a Turner O2 full suspension.

e-beach   100 MW

100 MW
Location: Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monica or possibly the south bay beaches.

Post by e-beach » Jan 12 2019 11:01pm

I only stick with windows because I am not all that great with programing. Dyslexic as I am, trying to put together a new Linux kernel would often lead to disaster for me. And, I find Mac more expensive then even a disastrous Windows experience.

So, IMO if you aren't a computer scientist, they got you by the kiwi's.....

Edit: Kinda like windows actually is a porcupine...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

:( :bolt:
Favorite Quote: "This is L.A., sugar. There is no 'over the top." --- Chris Erskine

Current build: Liahona w/ cheap front suspension and suspension seat post. Yescomusa 36v 800w generic front hub motor. 15ah Headway triangle mounted pack. Tronsung 30 amp,

Previous Build:1992 Trek Antelope 800 - Bone Crusher (no suspension) - Yescomusa 800 watt 36 volt front wheel kit. Don't do it! Get suspension!!!

dustNbone   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dustNbone » Jan 12 2019 11:45pm

Installing Linux does not involve any programming. I'm a pretty hardcore Linux user and I haven't built a kernel from source for about a decade. Except for custom Android kernels but that's another thing entirely.

I would say for sure that I spend far more time and effort keeping my Windows install functioning well than I do my desktop Ubuntu install. Pretty much everything routine is way easier. Installing software, updating OS and software, even a fresh install. All easier.

keithmac   10 W

10 W

Post by keithmac » Jan 13 2019 5:11am

Microsofts whole file system is a bodge over another bodge, the put a shiny skin over the top but it's just polishing a turd!.

Anyone remember the Amiga 500?, they managed a perfectly usable Workbench (WIMP), that could run word prcessors, paint programs, music programs etc all on 512kb!.

Windows eats 10gb to 20gb, thrashes hard drives and memory. A 4gb RAM laptop is on the edge of being usable.

Just bad design and bad programming but the get away with it..

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jan 13 2019 11:30am

I appreciate all the things that Windows was designed to do. I really think that Windows was perfected sometime in the 2000's. The rest of the changes are just security improvements, hardware support, reinventing the wheel with GUI changes, and built in spyware afterwards.

The same can be said of Microsoft Office. Since Office 2003, it's mostly been downhill from there.

The Microsoft of today makes it's money abusing it's monopoly position, not providing quality software. It used to be that a new version of Windows was the most exciting thing in the world. Now we dread it.

Linux is the only place you see an operating system improving and getting significantly better. Although there's plenty of room for improvement still.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Jan 13 2019 6:30pm

keithmac wrote:
Jan 13 2019 5:11am
Anyone remember the Amiga 500?, they managed a perfectly usable Workbench (WIMP), that could run word prcessors, paint programs, music programs etc all on 512kb!
I remember using 2 single sided floppy drives on a 512K Macintosh, with one 400KB floppy containing the OS and the application, and the other for user files. I think of that when I go looking for a simple utility app for my phone (e.g. bubble level, alarm clock, etc.), and find that some of the options demand 100MB or more. It confirms to me that either they're very poorly written (in which case I don't want to use them), or they're built to do something in the background that I didn't ask for (in which case I don't want to use them).

I think Windows checks both those boxes, but all the same I use Windows 7 on my laptop. It's the thing to have for maximum software availability.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jan 13 2019 7:05pm

Yeah, bloated apps drive me insane. These apps should fit into a few megabytes at most.

One thing i live even more than a polished linux distro is the Haiku OS.. it's based on BE OS, and is somehow compatible with linux enough that you can run libreoffice on it :O

Another cool thing is that it's single user based and boots in a few seconds.
2019-01-13 16_58_16-haiku test [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox.png
Still under development, but promising as a kind of minimalist OS.

e-beach   100 MW

100 MW
Location: Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monica or possibly the south bay beaches.

Post by e-beach » Jan 13 2019 8:34pm

I had an Atari ST when they first came out. Helped me through school. As I recall it had 512k or ram that I was told could be increased by purchasing ram chips and soldering them to the existing ram. At the time I had never worked with RAM chips so I ended up taking it to a retired JPL electronics guy in Pasadena who in his capacity at JPL used to build satellites. I dropped it off and a week later I had 1meg or ram!!!!! :shock: :lol:

I think it cost me about $100 at that time.

As for Haiku, let me know when it can run the latest version of Avid Pro Tools and Media Composer....or at least Reaper

:D :bolt:
Favorite Quote: "This is L.A., sugar. There is no 'over the top." --- Chris Erskine

Current build: Liahona w/ cheap front suspension and suspension seat post. Yescomusa 36v 800w generic front hub motor. 15ah Headway triangle mounted pack. Tronsung 30 amp,

Previous Build:1992 Trek Antelope 800 - Bone Crusher (no suspension) - Yescomusa 800 watt 36 volt front wheel kit. Don't do it! Get suspension!!!

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Jan 13 2019 11:00pm

Not sure what I will use is a years time, I have played around with a few Ubuntu Linux programs.
I am paying more attention to what I use the PC for.
#1 is Internet
#2 is OpenOffice
#3 is Games on Steam - With that I will need to use a Virtual Machine, so I would probably do W10 and not activate it, or continue using W7. Thats about it, I play around with maps but thats online.
#4 is Email

e-beach   100 MW

100 MW

Post by e-beach » Jan 13 2019 11:19pm

Well, I just had a new one for me....

My screen went blue starting from the top and going to the bottom.

There was some QR scanner icon and text that read....windows.com/stopcode.

Windows stopcode???

The system rebooted itself and things are running again for the moment.....

:evil: :bolt:

dustNbone   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dustNbone » Jan 29 2019 5:32pm

Another example of the quality you can expect from modern Microsoft:

https://serverfault.com/questions/94826 ... s-7-shares

Basically they pushed an update for Windows 7 that straight up broke the ability to connect to network file shares hosted on the computer that received the update.

As far as I can see this update was considered mandatory.

The followup update that fixes it. Optional.

I'm an ex systems administrator, so I was fairly quickly able to pin it down to Windows box, but for the casual user this would have been a real pain in the ass to fix.

Windows is NOT easy to use when it breaks itself at random like this.

Quinc   100 W

100 W

Post by Quinc » Jan 29 2019 5:48pm

Just like XP I will keep using it as long as possible. 8)

LeftieBiker   1 kW

1 kW

Post by LeftieBiker » Jan 30 2019 1:36am

I ran XP as long as I safely could. Windows 10 is a f#$king nightmare, and this is the LAST time I run Microsoft ANYTHING. Ever.