ES is looking for an assistant PHP programmer

A subforum for posting jobs, work offers, etc... whether they be a one-time gigs, full employment, or something in between.
neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

ES is looking for an assistant PHP programmer

Post by neptronix » Feb 26 2021 1:56pm

Howdy.

I'm looking for a PHP programmer to work under me to assist in:
+ Creating scripts that do data processing and filtering, to clean up corruption in ES' database.
+ Potentially writing extensions for the Xenforo forum platform.
+ Potentially adding features that operate outside of Xenforo to enhance forum functionality.

What i want to see in your work:
+ Clean code which is easy to read and understand. IE variables with names that make sense, minimal levels of abstraction, a flow that can be read from top to bottom easily, and no crazy syntactic sugar.
+ Multiple years of experience in working with PHP 7, and an interest in working with PHP 8.
+ Ability to write code without relying on a large framework like laravel, zend, etc. I use a minimalist, procedural code oriented framework called 'zerolith', and can teach you how to use it in less than an hour, if you wish to use that.
+ Code that leans on procedural thinking more than object oriented thinking.
+ You break convention when it makes sense, instead of religiously following 'best practices' 100% of the time.

The work will be paid for by the owner of the site.
Hours and timing of work is very flexible.
Compensation will be decided upon based on your abilities.
You will report to me and i will report to the site owner.

If we work well together in this capacity, this is a foot in the door for you to also do programming for my company in a part time capacity also, developing innovative web applications and server management systems.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500 MTB.
Monster MTB: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: Heavy duty Cannondale semi recumbent - under construction.
Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Re: ES is looking for an assistant PHP programmer

Post by neptronix » Mar 10 2021 9:51pm

Bump. This is a nicely paid side gig for anyone familiar with php and mysql and the development environment is quick, easy and simple for the work we need. No github wrangling required.

I know there's some geeks out there. Let's hear from you.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.

A-DamW   10 µW

10 µW

Post by A-DamW » Mar 12 2021 4:15pm

I have 5+ years *production* experience writing the gamut of TSQL.
I have 30 minutes of looking through the PHP 7 language reference, and some example code, I had no trouble understanding what was going on.

That being said, I think learning the environment e.g. Xenforo, PHP ide, hosting platform, etc. takes as much time as learning the language itself.

I would be willing to forgo payment to see if I may be a good fit and add some value, even if only til some better candidate is found.

A quick phone interview may be a good start.

Adam

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Mar 12 2021 4:57pm

A high degree of SQL-fu would be very useful for some of the data processing tasks. I know PHP like the back of my hand so i tend to do these things in PHP using SQL minimally and don't bother turning queries into a high art form. You do have something to add even if your PHP skills are lacking.

I could take you on sort of an intern type basis with the potential for the relationship being more in the future. My success comes thanks to a programming internship i took 12 years ago, so i wouldn't mind paying it forward if career growth is what you're looking for.

PM sent with contact details from me.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Mar 17 2021 4:11pm

Justin has lent me MrVass for some data processing work, and i also have another person tenatively signed up to help too.

I'm good on help for ES! :bigthumb: